• Hell yes.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Hell no.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I don't have enough information.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

BOP

I just saw a story where someone was complaining they make $350k a year and live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford their student loan. Oh really :rolleyes: They need to try living on my income which is only 1/7th of what they make and I live paycheck to paycheck too BUT I manage to pay my student loan monthly because to not pay means bad credit and bad credit means you pay MORE for things like credit interest and car insurance among other things.
I was paying my student loan back on the strength of the $30K I made a year as an aging mechanic, and on the job my wife got as a slimey contractor after she retired from the Fed. She was CSRS, so her annuity was just a touch shy of $1k a month, and her job with SAIC wasn't all that. Still, we lived frugally, got by, and paid our debts.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I read that, they also had $170k in car loans and a $4500/month mortgage. These people could not leave within their means so save their lives.
OMG so they were living WAY beyond their means considering they had student loan debt to repay (loans were not a priority to them obviously).

PeoplesElbow

That was your boy Klinton, and his Congress of Clowns that pulled that stunt.
You sure? I got my first loan in the fall of 1992 while Bush was still president and I remember being told that they had to be repaid etc.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
You sure? I got my first loan in the fall of 1992 while Bush was still president and I remember being told that they had to be repaid etc.
I think my first year of college was 1994 and yes I was told the money had to be paid back but no one ever gave me an example of what to expect regarding the way interest could become as much or more than the loan amount.

HemiHauler

The movement to make loans less-dischargeable started in 19 and 76 with the Education Amendments of that same year, student loans dischargeable in certain conditions. Bill C. signed a bill which finally made them non-dischargeable under all circumstances.

Of course you're told they have to be repaid. Certainly they are not going to explain the conditions under which you can have bankruptcy discharge them fully,

Reactions: BOP

ontheriver

The movement to make loans less-dischargeable started in 19 and 76 with the Education Amendments of that same year, student loans dischargeable in certain conditions. Bill C. signed a bill which finally made them non-dischargeable under all circumstances.

Of course you're told they have to be repaid. Certainly they are not going to explain the conditions under which you can have bankruptcy discharge them fully,
You ordered the steak, you ate the steak. Pay for the steak.
Ass

If I owed money I wouldn't sleep at night. I have a conscience and I would never walk away from an obligation.
Especially knowing someone else would have to pay.

I think it's called integrity.

You should get some.

phreddyp

I think my first year of college was 1994 and yes I was told the money had to be paid back but no one ever gave me an example of what to expect regarding the way interest could become as much or more than the loan amount.
What exactly did you major in crayons?

Kinnakeet

Student debtors refuse to pay back loans: ‘I’m not gonna feed this monster anymore’

“These loans have become weaponized, they’re viciously predatory and hyperinflationary,” Alan Collinge, founder of nonprofit group Student Loan Justice, told The Post. “So, they’ve become these licenses to steal [from borrowers].”

Collinge, 52, said the student loan system is helplessly trapped in a “death spiral” with total freefall coming in months; he noted that nearly 60% of borrowers were not paying off their loans as of last 2019, prior to the coronavirus pandemic.

[clip]

Yazan Alswaeer, 38, of New Castle, Pennsylvania​

Total debt: $118,000

Education: Pittsburgh Technical College; Capella University

Prior monthly payment: n/a

Alswaeer expects to receive his master’s degree in information technology in December, some nine years after the Jordanian native arrived in the United States. The proposed $20,000 relief would’ve been a drop in the single father’s debt bucket, but now he’s desperately emailing the White House for help. “I have no plan,” Alswaeer told The Post. “My plan is I am not going to make payments.” Biden’s campaign promise to forgive tuition-related federal student debt was the “only reason” Alswaeer voted for the Democrat.

“With the school debt that I have, there’s no way I will ever think about buying a house or settling down,” he said. “It hurts seeing many Americans suffering financially while a great country such as ours has the resources it needs to make every American live a decent life.”

Heather Helton, 39, of Warsaw, Indiana

Total debt: $56,000

Education: Grace College; Indiana Wesleyan University

Prior monthly payment: $137

Helton said her debt servicer, the Missouri Higher Education Loan Authority, is expecting a $349 payment in December rather than January – a month earlier than other borrowers. Known as MOHELA, the quasi-government agency became the sole provider for debtors pursuing Public Service Loan Forgiveness nationwide this past summer.

Helton, who has had five different loan providers since graduating in 2006, said she feels duped having to deal with yet another loan company. Helton added that she “absolutely” plans to stop paying down her sizable balance — along with a 6% interest rate.

“This was a federal con artist operation,” she told The Post. “They knew exactly what they were doing and it caused a lot of false hopes.”

Helton previously intended to fully repay her loans, but she’s now mulling alternatives like lobbying local politicians or “blasting social media” for help. “Something needs to give,” she said.

🤣

A FEDERAL Con-Artist Operation .... promising false hope's ... false hope about what ?

Well then give up your Diploma and any benifits of having that degree you refuse to pay for, like not making a car or house payment, you should LOSE any benefits derived from that degree
THEY SIGNED ON NOW PAY IT BACK!

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

If I owed money I wouldn't sleep at night. I have a conscience and I would never walk away from an obligation. Especially knowing someone else would have to pay.

I think it's called integrity.

You should get some.

This is how I prioritize paying what is owed ..... If a loan is received from a person, it's at the top to be repaid in full at the agreed upon terms. All other loans, banks, credit cards, commercial scale, can sit on the back burner. Because money from these outlets are created out of thin air via fraud. Any thing involving fraud is null in my book.

Bare-ya-cuda

Not everyone is like you and files for bankruptcy to get out of their debt.

OccamsRazor

You call filing bankruptcy ti get out of paying back debt you took in smart? You sir are a cancer on society!
Would it be OK if he had orange hair and liked cheeseburgers?
Seriously though, why is this person scum but the Donald is the second coming if bankruptcy is "a cancer on society?"

Bare-ya-cuda

Would it be OK if he had orange hair and liked cheeseburgers?
Seriously though, why is this person scum but the Donald is the second coming if bankruptcy is "a cancer on society?"
So you’re saying hemi thinks the Donald is smart?

Or is he just a hypocrite?