About Trump's intelligence

transporter

Christ...how stupid is this man? I don't use that term lightly. I mean he is really dumb. Go read this whole article and put it into context with ALL the other reports of Trump's inability to listen to his advisors. When are you morons who voted to make this buffoon the Republican nominee going to realize what a horrible mistake you made?

No more MOUs! USTR Lighthizer tweaks trade terminology after dispute with Trump

...Sitting in the Oval Office across from Lighthizer and his Chinese counterpart in the trade talks, Vice Premier Liu He, Trump unloaded about his feelings on MOUs, which Reuters reported on Wednesday had been drawn up in six critical areas to form the outline of a broad deal.

If you don't understand how stupid and incompetent this exchange is....let me explain it. Trump is arguing with his own trade representative in front of the Chinese trade representative!!!!!! Trump belittles his own guy in front of the competition!!!

“I don’t like MOUs because they don’t mean anything. To me they don’t mean anything. I think you’re better off just going into a document. I was never ... a fan of an MOU,” Trump said from his perch behind his desk.

“An MOU is a contract. It’s the way trade agreements are generally used ... A Memorandum of Understanding is a binding agreement between two people,” Lighthizer said. “It’s a legal term, it’s a contract,” he said.

Trump was not satisfied. “By the way, I disagree,” he countered, addressing reporters as well as the Chinese delegation that has been negotiating the MOUs with the U.S. team. “I think that a Memorandum of Understanding is not a contract to the extent that we want. ... We’re doing a Memorandum of Understanding that will be put into a final contract, I assume...

Here, Trump is told by the US Trade Representative how the process works and Trump disagrees! Trump thinks he is trying to sell an overpriced condo to some rube!!

From now on we’re not using the word Memorandum of Understanding anymore. We’re going to use the term trade agreement, all right?” he said.

“OK,” the Chinese vice premier, sitting next to Lighthizer, responded.

“Assuming you decide on an agreement ... it’ll be a trade agreement between the United States and China,” Lighthizer told the president.

“Good,” Trump said. “I like that much better.”

So here is how he is setting this up...he's bored with the China thing...it isn't progressing because isn't going to just roll over and give in like some Playmate. So Trump changes the name of the MOU to "trade agreement"....this way when HE rolls over and just gives in (as has been his MO) he can go on TV and claim to his "base" that he has a "trade agreement" with China. Spittbubble and the rest of the ignorati will cheer and claim victory...the Chinese will laugh all the way to the bank...and the rest of the world will have more proof that they can no longer count on the United States of America to lead the free world against the bad international actors.

So instead of selling to a single rube.. he is selling to LOTS of rubes (his "base").

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Google if MOUs are binding, you might discover
Similar to a contract, a memorandum of understanding is an agreement between two or more parties. Unlike a contract, however, an MOU need not contain legally enforceable promises. While the parties to a contract must intend to create a legally binding agreement, the parties to an MOU may intend otherwise.

CPUSA

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Christ...how stupid is this man? I don't use that term lightly. I mean he is really dumb.

I tend to hesitate when I have the urge to call Christ stupid or dumb. :eek: Perhaps work on your literary technique to ensure clarity of thought...?

If you don't understand how stupid and incompetent this exchange is....let me explain it. Trump is arguing with his own trade representative in front of the Chinese trade representative!!!!!! Trump belittles his own guy in front of the competition!!!

Google if MOUs are binding, you might discover

Ken King nailed it. And Trump had every reason to be furious at Lighthizer as Lighthizer got it wrong. MOUs are NOT legally binding documents; they are binding insofar as the party/parties decide to adhere to them.

C'mon, Transporter, you need to do better. If you worked even 5 minutes in a diplomatic setting you would know what an MOU is/does and what one isn't/doesn't do. That you don't shows you to be operating out of your depth, a troll, or both.

--- End of line (MCP)