Absess Help

ablondebarnbabe

We suspect an absess in one of our horse's feet, with a davis soaking boot and some epsom salt, how often and how long should we be soaking his foot to try and draw it out? Also, what ratio of salt to water is best?
Thanks

Robin

I have always used a flat rubber ground feeder and since I wanted it to come out the bottom of the hoof about a inch to inch and a half of warm water and 1-2 cups of epsom salt or more stir it around till its cloudy and wont disolve any more 10-15 minutes. At first the horses dont want to stand with their foot in the tub but it will make it feel better and they become better patients. Also here is a link:
Horse hoof abscess

covekat

The article that Robin posted is really good...

I also soak in a rubber feed tub... hottest water the horse can stand, and LOTS of Epsom Salts.. usually twice a day...then I wrap using Magna Paste or Icthamol (I really hate that stuff, way to messy).

I also use an Animalintex Pad after the abcess bursts, you can tell when it stops draining because the pad will be clean... then it's time to toughen up the spot where it burst.

The best spot an abcess can burst is the coronet band...sole abcesses will make a horse very sore, and are harder to keep clean. I would not recommend anyone digging around the bottom of a hoof looking for an abcess... unless hooftesters are used and the vet/blacksmith is about 99.9 percent sure they have pinpointed it.

Robin

oops sorry forgot to mention the farrier usually uses testers to find the abcess, relieves the pressure and then I soak twice a day and pack with ichthamol wrap with cotton and vet wrap then duck tape change twice daily :faint: with the grass so wet you might want to keep the horse in a dry bedded stall a few days. just my suggestion.

covekat

If the horse is comfortable enough to walk around, let them, more movement can speed up the draining...try to keep a wrap on though...

I will only give Bute if the horse does NOT want to bear weight on the sore foot, because then you have to worry about founder in the good foot (from that foot bearing all the weight)... There is a huge controversy that Bute will also slow down an abcess...

ablondebarnbabe

Thanks so much, I think we will have the vet out just to verify that it is an absess, but we have been doing the soaking and packing like you all suggested.

Thanks again!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
IT's hard to believe that the horse just stands there. Isn't that painful for him?

Probably to some extent..you either drug them or twitch them..but it is one of those things with so much swelling it probably feels better to relieve the pressure..

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
From the video information: "This horse was bitten by a snake and subsequently developed a large chest abscess. The horse was sedated and given a local block before draining. The horse made a quick and uneventful recovery."
So, the horse was drugged. That's why he just stood there. It was like poppin' a big ole pimple wasn't it? :faint:

Abcess help, obtained from a vet:
1) Apply Magnapaste (epsom salt paste) to foot
2) Wrap foot very heavily in cotton bandage wrapping (the kind that comes in sheets - secure it with some 2 inch wide white bandage tape (like athletic tape)
3) Take a large burlap sack and fold it in half (so there are four layers of burlap and place it under the hoof with the toe pointing towards the top (cranial) corner of the burlap
4) Pull the cranial and medial corners of the burlap tight around the pastern/fetlock (which should have some cotton around them) and secure with bandage tape
5) Pull the lateral and caudal corners of the burlap tight over top of the already secured burlap and secure with tape
6) Fold up the two areas of burlap that are still sticking out and then wrap the entire bandage in the bandage tape
7) Soak the foot in warm epsom salt water for 20 minutes. Repeat soaking 1-2 times per day- if you don't soak at least daily, then the burlap will dry out and chafe
9) The second day the bandage is on and then every other day after, add a layer of duct tape to the bandage to keep it from tearing through
10) After the horse has stayed completely sound for two days, stop adding duct tape to the bandage and turn the horse out to walk through the bandage (should be stall rested or confined during treatment)
11) Once the bandage is worn (doesn't take very long, maybe a day or two- remember to keep soaking so the burlap stays wet), cut everything away and tada sound hoof.

This works because the hoof is constantly moistened to allow for the abscess to rupture or dissipate and the epsom salts prevent bacterial growth.

Good luck!