ACB hearings

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Amy Coney Barrett went to my all-girls high school. I hope she's not confirmed

Like the late Justice Scalia, for whom she clerked, Barrett is a self-described textualist and originalist; she interprets the US constitution based on its plain language and an attempted understanding of the intent and mindset of the original drafters. Barrett has also written that, in her view, it is appropriate and legitimate for judges to overturn precedents when they conflict with their personal interpretation of the constitution. Obedience to the exact original meaning of the constitution without current context is problematic. These laws were made by white, cisgender men who enslaved other human beings and never intended to include a vast sum of Americans – like women and people of color – in their quest for equal rights.

When one person’s truth, defined by the way they see the world, impacts the lives and liberties of generations of diverse Americans, it has tremendous power.

and right there, the argument goes off the rails ........

SamSpade

These laws were made by white, cisgender men who enslaved other human beings and never intended to include a vast sum of Americans – like women and people of color – in their quest for equal rights.

Well I guess -

1. They need to change the oath - you know, uphold the Constitution, because evidently that is utterly meaningless.
  2. Therefore have ZERO idea what a judge is SUPPOSED to do, since the purpose of the SCOTUS is to square laws against the Constittion - and not mere whim.
  3. They might as well get rid of EVERY program of the government enacted over the last 200 plus years - including you know - Obamacare - because they were also created mostly by white cisgender men. Unless those last three words were put in there to be irrelevant. You know, because it's BAD to be male, or white or - I refuse to use that word - straight.

Hijinx

Over Represented Party ? WTF does that even mean

Warren keeps saying things that indicate that she knows what MOST Americans want.
She doesn't----------------------------she knows what SHE wants and assumes the whole country wants the same thing.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Feinstein asks Barrett on Obergefell, which granted same-sex couples the right to marry.

She asks if she agrees with Justice Scalia's view that the U.S. Constitution does not afford a right to marry for same-sex couples.

Barrett says just because Scalia afforded a view, it does not mean if it's hers. She says she isn't going to put forward an opinion.

She cites "The Ginsburg Rule" -- "no hints, no previews, no forecasts."

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
On voter fraud and potential election days, Barrett says if the question came before her she would hear arguments, read briefs, talk to colleagues etc.

"If I gave an off the cuff answer, I would be a legal pundit," she says.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Or maybe - they DO. They do know. In which case they're lying through their teeth when they say some of this stuff.

They know. They're just playing blood sport politics. It's the voters who are dumb and can't see through this crap. Think about how stupid you have to be to literally watch your Mayor destroy your city.....and then vote to re-elect him anyway. That's who these politicians are playing to - the uneducated ignorant base who keeps them in power.

I didn't realize how many of them there were until I joined Twitter.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Live Updates Amy Coney Barrett Confirmation Hearings Continue

10:40 AM: Left not happy with Democrats on the Committee. They want them to use their time to say this is illegitimate. Some are even criticizing Democrats for saying nice things about Barrett’s family because that is legitimizing the process.

10:21 AM: Leahy thanks Barrett for introducing her family and says family is the most important thing in his life.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Dems Criticize ACB For Constantly Interrupting Their Campaign Speeches

"Excuse me, ma'am, I'm trying to grandstand for my political base!" shouted Cory Booker, pointing at her as though he were Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney. "How dare you, ma'am!"

"HOW! DARE! YOU!" Booker screamed, clapping with each word. "Camera people -- did you get that? I want it on SnapTok, TikChat, and Instawhatever by noon. Thank you for coming here today, Judge Barrett. That will be all."

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Amy Coney Barrett explains what it means to be an originalist, calls Scalia a mentor

"So in English, that means that I interpret the Constitution as a law, that I interpret its text as text, and I understand it to have the meaning that it had at the time people ratified it," Barrett said. "So that meaning doesn’t change over time and it’s not up to me to update it or infuse my own policy views into it."

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Lindsey Graham’s Priceless Reaction As Dem Senator Mansplains Bizarre Conspiracy Theory To Amy Coney Barrett

On Tuesday, during the confirmation hearings for Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, Rhode Island Democratic senator and ardent leftist Sheldon Whitehouse spent his entire allotted time not asking Barrett any pertinent questions, but mansplaining his bizarre conspiracy theory that “dark money” was behind Barrett’s nomination as spoke mysteriously about “forces outside of this room.”

As Whitehouse neared the end of his harangue, the expression on Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Lindsey Graham was absolutely priceless:

Whitehouse theorized that audiences watching the confirmation hearing on their “little TV box” were watching through the frame of a “puppet theater,” and didn’t understand the “whole story” and the “real dynamic” of “what is going on here. And you’re certainly not gong to understand forces outside of this room who are pulling strings and pushing sticks and causing the puppet theater to react.”
Whitehouse said conspiratorially, “We have colleagues here who supported you, this nominee, before there was a nominee. That’s a little unusual.”

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm trying to watch but the Democrats are being amazingly moronic. They ask the dumbest freaking questions. I don't even know how they stand themselves.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Sen. Hirono asks Barrett if she’s ever assaulted anyone, hits judge for using term “sexual preference”

Sen. Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, opened her questioning time by blasting the Senate for choosing to move forward with confirmation hearings instead of working on coronavirus relief.

She then asked the judge if she had ever assaulted anyone.

“Since you became a legal adult, have you ever made unwanted requests for sexual favors, or committed any physical or verbal harassment or assault of a sexual nature?” Hirono asked.

Yeah. Not surprised it was Sen. Hiroshima that took it to the sewer. Only surprised it wasn't Kamala first.