Accuweather: Well below-average hurricane season

Alexa

nor do they take into account that temperature sensing stations that replace stations in agricultural areas are being placed in areas naturally warmer (near large expanses of concrete, on the rear of large buildings).....

What's so natural about a large expanse of concrete?:whistle:

B

Beaver-Cleaver

What's so natural about a large expanse of concrete?:whistle:

You're missing the point.

Weather reporting stations are at airports, which have gotten more asphalt over the years. Guess what that does to your temperature readout? :jet:

I'm one of the more left-leaning people on this forum - but you can't convince me that Global Warming is real especially after we just had the coldest winter in decades.

C

czygvtwkr

The question whether the planet is warming up isn't up for debate. Hell, all we need to do is look outside our front doors to see the signs. There are several other factors that go into the hypothesis, migration patterns of the wild and botanical species are examples. It also is happening at a quicker rate when compared to the heating and cooling trends of the past.

We are in unprecedented territory, because we have no way of measuring our impact at all. Compare it to what? We can only compare it to the fossil records of the past. We may not be 100% correct, but we do have a pretty good idea of the length of time it took for the natural heating and cooling of the planet in the past. With the accelerated rate of heating and all of the other data, it brings a plausible question of whether or not we are a factor.

You can put a frog in a vat of boiling water and the frog will jump out sensing the immediate danger. However, if you put a frog in pot of water and then heat it up to the boiling point, the frog will not jump out. It will acclimate itself to the ever increasing temperatures of the water and will eventually be boiled alive, never sensing the pending danger. Humans, as proven time and time again, react in much the same way.

We can debate until the cows come home whether or not the warming of the planet is due to human activity or not. By the time the political grand standing is done or a definitive answer is known, it may be to late.

Again.......no matter what side of the debate one is on, it does make sense to implement technology that would be better for the environment, our resources and our lifestyles.

So you are saying you can see the less than 1 degree change that some are claiming?

bcp

In My Opinion

Weather reporting stations are at airports, which have gotten more asphalt over the years. Guess what that does to your temperature readout? :jet:

I'm one of the more left-leaning people on this forum - but you can't convince me that Global Warming is real especially after we just had the coldest winter in decades.
the warmer the earth gets the colder we will be.
its all in the book,
Science at a Glance
(Science for Dummys)
By Al Gore.

Alexa

So you are saying you can see the less than 1 degree change that some are claiming?

I can note subtle changes in the environments that I have been around. I'll give you three examples:

a. Edelweiss, it is a white flowering plant which grows at certain points on the Alps. (Yes, I have lived there and have family there). We noticed that the flowers through the years were moving further up the mountains. I don't think we would have noticed it had we been around it all the time, but when a few years pass and you go back to a place, things do stick out. It was one of things that make you go Hmmmmm......then you forget about it. Come to find out, the warming temperature (yes by that degree change) is making the vegetation move up the mountain.

b. Iceland, they have a park which is basically an iceberg lagoon. Big tourist attraction. About fifteen years ago the parking area to the lagoon was right next to it. Returning in 2005, the parking lot was one mile away from the lagoon. One could notice the iceberg's were a little less majestic than the last go about. When inquiring as to why, well ..... the berg's are melting away. It was shocking to see such a dramatic change in such a short time.

c. Florida, lived there for a while. (What can I say, I wanted to see the world and got outta here for awhile...) Use to be able to set your watch to the weather. between three and four in the afternoon it would shower. It stopped a couple years ago. The lakes began drying up. When you looked at the docks you could see where the water line normally was. Another Hmmmmm.....and I thought it must be a period of drought, but when you talked to the locals who have lived in the area all their life, they tell you they see subtle changes too and the changes in the weather pattern. They will also tell you that the hurricanes, even through the lulls are packing a little more bite than they use to. Yes, they would have the big one come around every few years, but they are biting harder than they use to.

These are just a smattering of changes. I could go on with a few more. I explained it away too, just a glitch or seasonal thing, but once you talked to the locals, they painted a very differing picture. One in which they had never seen these patterns before.

Less than one degree change....doesn't seem like that much...but then that difference determines where a banana grows on a tree in Florida or where a fish swims. This changes the ecological make up of an area. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Alexa

I was trying to make a funny. You had said that temperatures were being measured in places naturally warm like concrete or something like that.....

Awww...forget it...

Alexa

I don't think I am missing the point. What is so natural about concrete or airports which have gotten more asphalt over the years?

Put one parking lot beside another, with a concrete slab over here and another over there and of course the temperatures are going to rise in that area.

So, one can logically conclude that human intervention (via the concrete slab and airports which have gotten more asphalt by humans placing it there over the years) has caused the temperature to rise in that area. Nature of course didn't have anything to do with that.

It is probably worth continuous monitoring. Hell, we have enough of these spots all over the world that collectively they could have an impact. Who knows, but as a scientist, it would be a theory worth looking into. May account for the weather station being placed there. Which came first the concrete slab or the weather station? In some instances it probably was the weather station in others the concrete station.

I found some interesting reading on the subject of bringing temperatures down in the cities. There were actually some office buildings in Japan that were outfitted and built to withstand an ecosystem on its roof top. There was one designed that was covered with green. Studies so far have concluded that the temperatures in those areas were actually brought down significantly. Could entire cities be next? I couldn't find the article as it was some time ago, but weburbanist.com does go into the subject.

As to the coldest winter...naaah...there have been worse. I am told that the cold weather factors into the global warming theory, but since I have no clue about how that is supposed to work, I am not going to offer any opinion on it right now.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

I am told that the cold weather factors into the global warming theory, but since I have no clue about how that is supposed to work, I am not going to offer any opinion on it right now.

:whistle:

bcp

In My Opinion
I wonder what the theory would have been millions of years ago when the glaciers slid across the landscap diggin all those really cool canyons and things.

the earth is fairly new, its still not exactly a stable planet, I expect that the global warming is more of a trend than anything else. how long have they been tracking climate compared to the age of the earth anyway?
trying to base eternity on a spot on the time equal to the head of a needle is not good science.

bcp

In My Opinion
200 years versus a couple of billion (about .0000001%) even if you subscribe to 2A's 5000 year old earth, thats only .04%

:lmao:
pretty much.
I suppose we as humans just have to have something to worry about, if we cant find something real, we can just make something up and make it sound real.

I wonder what the theory would have been millions of years ago when the glaciers slid across the landscap diggin all those really cool canyons and things.

the earth is fairly new, its still not exactly a stable planet, I expect that the global warming is more of a trend than anything else. how long have they been tracking climate compared to the age of the earth anyway?
trying to base eternity on a spot on the time equal to the head of a needle is not good science.

That's pretty much the same as people living in a coastal barrier beach, like Long Island or up toward Cape Cod. Everyone screams because they are "losing" "their" beach, and erect silly little stone piers to halt the beach erosion, which they are convinced is caused by the pier that someone built upstream, and so on and so on.

In reality, if you look at pictures from many decades ago, the barrier beach is constantly changing, constantly moving, and no amount of intervention by man is going to change that. Man sees the "snapshot" of a few years, and thinks this is reality. The reality is that mother nature is going to do what mother nature does.

Case in point: next time you look thru the museum at Piney Point, look at the land as it appeared back in civil war days compared to now.

EDIT: I meant Point Lookout, not Piney Point, although it's probably the same scenario.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

I can note subtle changes in the environments that I have been around. I'll give you three examples:

a. Edelweiss, it is a white flowering plant which grows at certain points on the Alps. (Yes, I have lived there and have family there). We noticed that the flowers through the years were moving further up the mountains. I don't think we would have noticed it had we been around it all the time, but when a few years pass and you go back to a place, things do stick out. It was one of things that make you go Hmmmmm......then you forget about it. Come to find out, the warming temperature (yes by that degree change) is making the vegetation move up the mountain.

b. Iceland, they have a park which is basically an iceberg lagoon. Big tourist attraction. About fifteen years ago the parking area to the lagoon was right next to it. Returning in 2005, the parking lot was one mile away from the lagoon. One could notice the iceberg's were a little less majestic than the last go about. When inquiring as to why, well ..... the berg's are melting away. It was shocking to see such a dramatic change in such a short time.

c. Florida, lived there for a while. (What can I say, I wanted to see the world and got outta here for awhile...) Use to be able to set your watch to the weather. between three and four in the afternoon it would shower. It stopped a couple years ago. The lakes began drying up. When you looked at the docks you could see where the water line normally was. Another Hmmmmm.....and I thought it must be a period of drought, but when you talked to the locals who have lived in the area all their life, they tell you they see subtle changes too and the changes in the weather pattern. They will also tell you that the hurricanes, even through the lulls are packing a little more bite than they use to. Yes, they would have the big one come around every few years, but they are biting harder than they use to.

These are just a smattering of changes. I could go on with a few more. I explained it away too, just a glitch or seasonal thing, but once you talked to the locals, they painted a very differing picture. One in which they had never seen these patterns before.

Less than one degree change....doesn't seem like that much...but then that difference determines where a banana grows on a tree in Florida or where a fish swims. This changes the ecological make up of an area. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Death Valley CA, 20000 years ago it was lake and hosted a lot of life and no longer does. It dried up and became the hottest, most inhospitable place on earth long before the industrial revolution ever began.

Glaciers started to contract and shrink 100 years before the industrial revolution

Greece 10000 years ago use to be a lush forest covered peninsula, it became a rocky landscape before the industrial revolution.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Alexa

Death Valley CA, 20000 years ago it was lake and hosted a lot of life and no longer does. It dried up and became the hottest, most inhospitable place on earth long before the industrial revolution ever began.

Glaciers started to contract and shrink 100 years before the industrial revolution

Greece 10000 years ago use to be a lush forest covered peninsula, it became a rocky landscape before the industrial revolution.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

No one denies these events occurred, or that the planet goes through natural changes. There are many events that could be cited. These changes happened at a very gradual rate. Not so today. It is the rate of acceleration to these events that is raising the red flag.

But here is something else to consider....forget whether or not you believe the changes are natural or manmade.....the fact is, they are occurring. The question is what to do about it.

Would you stick your head in the sand and pretend its not happening.:lalala:
or do you not bother, because after all, you'll be dead and gone before anyone has to worry about living in a hostile environment? :shrug: Or do you take the steps necessary or at least try to take the steps necessary now to help our future generations overt and/or survive what could possibly be a major threat to the survival of mankind?

Mankind didn't survive the last ice age by doing nothing after all.

Hmmmmm.........

Alexa

Addressing the bolded part.

Mankind survived the iceage by action. Mankind did NOT affect the outcome/length/nor start of it.

Mind you we did not have the technological advances as we have today, but
Exactly my point!!!!!!!!!

C

czygvtwkr

No one denies these events occurred, or that the planet goes through natural changes. There are many events that could be cited. These changes happened at a very gradual rate. Not so today. It is the rate of acceleration to these events that is raising the red flag.

But here is something else to consider....forget whether or not you believe the changes are natural or manmade.....the fact is, they are occurring. The question is what to do about it.

Would you stick your head in the sand and pretend its not happening.:lalala:
or do you not bother, because after all, you'll be dead and gone before anyone has to worry about living in a hostile environment? :shrug: Or do you take the steps necessary or at least try to take the steps necessary now to help our future generations overt and/or survive what could possibly be a major threat to the survival of mankind?

Mankind didn't survive the last ice age by doing nothing after all.

Hmmmmm.........

When man rushes to "fix" a problem with nature he usually either makes it worse or creates another unintended problem. Take for example the use of ethanol, recently it was questioned what if forests are cut down to make more farm land to grow corn to use ethanol to power cars....hmmm i bet we make more greenhouse emissions using a "green" fuel.....

When government feels it must do something we get flawed solutions ie. the Patriot Act, the Economic Stimulus Bill, etc etc.