Acorns

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My neighbor took a snow shovel to part of his yard the other day and got 7 trash can loads full. I see a blanket of them in my yard.

Kinnakeet

Ive shoveled a couple 5 gallon buckets worth out of my yard. I pick them up because I have busted my ass on them on more than one occasion. My trees drop the really little ones that are smaller in diameter than a dime and for the most part completely round.
Red oak

CRHS89

I remember having tons of acorns fall just before the winter of 2009-2010 when we had 2 blizzards in a week. I don't remember having as many as have been falling this year though. While I don't want a repeat of that winter, I would love to have a few really good snowstorms.

PeoplesElbow

I got a big oak that drops tiny acorns, there are a few this year but not as many as last year. Still have enough that I busted my ass on my driveway because of them.

black dog

Free America
I need a hard hat to walk out in my yard.

I know what you mean, one of my neighbors picks the up each week and dehulls them.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
DAMARISCOTTA, Maine (AP) — Humans aren’t the only species packing on extra pounds during the pandemic. Some squirrels are letting themselves go, too.

Many squirrels are eating well this fall in New England. But one portly squirrel is so big it earned the nickname, “Fatty McFatterson.”

Most squirrels sprint or scoot. This one lumbers and waddles after supplementing nature’s bounty this fall by helping himself to seeds that fall to the ground from bird feeders.

“He’s clearly the alpha of the yard,” said Beth Ditkoff, of Damariscotta, told The Associated Press. “You think of them as scampering around. He’s bah-boom, bah-boom.”

It turns out that many pint-sized rodents aren’t so pint-sized as they gorge on abundant beach nuts, hazelnuts, acorns and a bumper crop of mushrooms this fall, Shevenell Webb, furbearer biologist with the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, told the Bangor Daily News.