Active Waldorf / Charles Co. Metal Detector enthusiasts out there?

Waldorf_Digger

See some activity from 2016 on the forums but nothing very recent to indicate there's any clubs around here yet. Anybody not too far from Waldorf active in the hobby and interested in info sharing / joint digs with not too far of a drive?

Beach digger and slowly acquiring private permissions newbie here.

Thank you for your serious replies.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I got 1 of those 100 pound pull magnets. I take it in the boat when I fish. Dragging it along the bottom when I drift. So far all I've gotten are rusty fishhooks. I get a lot of pebbles that contain some sort of metal because they adhere to the magnet.

1 day I hope to get something noteworthy.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Like a murder weapon?? :lmao:
How cool would that be.

A guy I went to school with, his son found a Spanish Real while metal detecting. I think they are called pieces of 8. He was all over FB posting pictures of it.

limblips

Metal detecting is fun. I have been doing it for years. It is NOT a get rich deal! I equate it to fishing, you never know what the next bite/signal is going to be. I like to focus on the older stuff rather than the beach coins and jewelry dropped over the summer. I have found many farmers and land owners will give permission if you explain that MDing is not excavating big holes and leaving a mess. Always fill your holes and don't dig canyons. I use an old screwdriver as a probe and a garden trowel to dig. It also helps if you offer a few trinkets to the land owner. Research is the key. Look at old topo maps to see where old buildings were in the past, ask older people where they used to hang out and party or swim, and gather any info you can about where people may have gathered. Always ask permission and be a good ambassador for the hobby. Good luck and many beeps!

Waldorf_Digger

After a few beach outings found a detecting partner and thought of a farmer I knew and got a permission. Had a fun day out digging up the remnants of old farm house the other day. Partner is good with the websites, found 1800 era map that seems to show old buildings, will be giving that a try. Just trying to locate some Charles County property to take a crack at. Thanks for your reply.

limblips

After a few beach outings found a detecting partner and thought of a farmer I knew and got a permission. Had a fun day out digging up the remnants of old farm house the other day. Partner is good with the websites, found 1800 era map that seems to show old buildings, will be giving that a try. Just trying to locate some Charles County property to take a crack at. Thanks for your reply.
Pound the old homestead site hard. I guarantee there are coins there. Look around the bigger trees, kids climbed them and people would sit in the shade. Pay attention to where the clothesline might have been and the back door (people didn't use the front door, that was for guests)! I seldom use discrimination when hunting old sites because I like relics. If the area is trashy then I discriminate out the nails and trash as best I can but you have to dig a lot of trash to get the good stuff. As you learn your machine the ratio of trash to goodies will get better. Happy beeping and post pics of the good stuff!

jg21

I've always been interested while watching the folks at the beach. Any suggestions on a decent detector to get?

Thanks

limblips

I've always been interested while watching the folks at the beach. Any suggestions on a decent detector to get?

Thanks
That is a tough question. It depends on many factors. 1. Cost. I started with a $25.00 pawn shop unit years ago. 2. Intended use. Just on the beach or in the water too. Most jewelry is lost between knee deep and waist deep water but a water unit is more pricey. 3. Hard core hunting or the occasional weekend. 4. Target ID or not. My units all are target ID. They are <90% accurate on pennies, dimes, quarters, .50 cent pieces and dollars coins. They are much less accurate on nickels because they fall in the same conductivity as rings and &#@$ poptops. There are more considerations too.

As for a specific recommendation there are many quality manufacturers but you won't find them at Wally World or in an outdoor company's catalog or for under $150 minimum. Do some research online and visit some of the MDing sites on the web. Here is a good place to get ideas and learn about different detectors. https://www.kellycodetectors.com/ca...arch&msclkid=3c7063ab599e10169f533e7864c12fbe

My recommendation for a first time detectorist is to look in pawn shops, on Craig's List, or another selling site. There are tons of detectors in closets all over the place because people bought one and didn't realize that for every good find you dig there will be 100 pieces of junk! I hunted for 2 years before I found my first gold.

You can PM me with specific questions or help.

Waldorf_Digger

Thanks

I'm a newbie so I still have my $100 Costco special which as of two weeks ago was still in Brandwine and Beltsville. Very happy with it, and you wouldn't be out much if you find the hobby isn't for you. $121 on Amazon. Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 Metal Detector

Beach digging you really need a "sand scoop" which you can just dig into the sand and with all the holes you can easily shake out the sand to see what you have. Fun hobby, but you'll be finding all these additional items you need. I went out my first time without a pinpointer detector for seeing if the object is out of the hole or not and immediately went home and bought one. Enjoy fun outdoors if you get one!

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'm a newbie so I still have my $100 Costco special which as of two weeks ago was still in Brandwine and Beltsville. Very happy with it, and you wouldn't be out much if you find the hobby isn't for you. $121 on Amazon. Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 Metal Detector

Beach digging you really need a "sand scoop" which you can just dig into the sand and with all the holes you can easily shake out the sand to see what you have. Fun hobby, but you'll be finding all these additional items you need. I went out my first time without a pinpointer detector for seeing if the object is out of the hole or not and immediately went home and bought one. Enjoy fun outdoors if you get one!
Pretty soon we'll be calling you Gary Drayton. Good luck finding those bobby-dazzlers.

Muller21QQQ

Metal detecting is my favorite hobby, and to tell you the truth I have many: like collecting pins from different countries, traveling, dancing the bachata, singing, riding and of course this one - metal detecting. You will probably ask me why this one? Why not traveling or something else? Because only doing this activity I can really earn money and not spend them at all like in traveling, when you buy tickets and so on. But here will come another question, I already know which) But don't you spend a lot of money on the metal detector? The answer is - no. I spent less than $500 on mine, thanks to this site which recommended me the best budget metal detector.

Last edited:

limblips

As I posted before, I started with a $25.00 pawn shop special years ago. A friend that got me started in the hobby told me to make each detector pay for the next one. I took the advice and am now in to a $1000+ machine. I never sell anything but I keep track of values. A few good finds will quickly add up, gold, key date coins, civil war artifacts etc.
That said, I really don't see as much difference in the performance of the machine as I see in the technology of a new machine. Newer machines are easier to use and have many newer features but there is no substitute for knowing the machine you own. Happy swinging!

limblips

I haven't gotten to swing much this winter but I went out today and found gold! To be honest it was my own wedding ring. I was doing some spring yard cleanup yesterday and noticed that my ring was missing last night. I was confident it would be in one of the bags of leaves so I wasn't too worried. Today I went through each bag by hand and scanned it all. No joy. I tried to think of places I could have lost it but it could have been anywhere in the front or side yards. I decided to just do the yard methodically. 20 minute later BINGO! I said before that I never get a new detector until the current one pays for itself. This one just did! The ring isn't worth much in dollars but making the wife happy again is worth millions!