Actor Alec Baldwin Kills One Person, Wounds Another When Prop-Gun 'Misfires'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
CBSLA reports that the sheriff’s office in Santa Fe, New Mexico, “confirms that two individuals were shot on the set of ‘Rust.'” Director of photography Halyna Hutchins, 42, and director Joel Souza, 48, were each shot when a prop-gun was discharged by actor Alec Baldwin, 68, during filming.

Hutchins was rushed by helicopter to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Souza was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center, where he was treated for his injuries.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Part of handling a firearm, even on a movie set, is that you dont' point it at something you shouldnt' shoot. Regardless of it being a "prop" or not. Props are many times real firearms, just loaded with blanks.

Watched a show of how the armorers and cinematographers stage gunfights scenes and when done right the weapon is pointed parallel to the target not at it. They use the camera angle to make it look right.

Seems Alec should have spent some time learning basic handling.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Watched a show of how the armorers and cinematographers stage gunfights scenes and when done right the weapon is pointed parallel to the target not at it. They use the camera angle to make it look right.

Interesting Point, that makes sense ...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How does someone shoot TWO people he shouldn't have even been aiming at with a prop gun? I'm trying to picture it in my head and it's just not coming together.

More information is needed or I'm going to have to assume that ol' Alec's notoriously hot temper got the better of him and he shot those people on purpose.

Bobwhite

How does someone shoot TWO people he shouldn't have even been aiming at with a prop gun? I'm trying to picture it in my head and it's just not coming together.

More information is needed or I'm going to have to assume that ol' Alec's notoriously hot temper got the better of him and he shot those people on purpose.
Back in 1970, my first husband owned a pizza shop. One of his regular customers was a local police officer. The police officer was off duty one day and in my husband's shop. The two of them were standing by the pinball machine and the police officer reached in his pocket to get change to play the pinball machine. He first pulled out his off-duty gun and laid it on the pinball machine, then he got his change and picked the gun up to put it back in his pocket when it went off killing my husband. I wasn't there at the time but I was told that when the gun went off the officer turned (I don't know why) and the gun fired again with the bullet striking the floor. So it's possible something like that could have happened in Alec's case, but I suspect you are correct in your assumption.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
You'd think after the first round went off, he'd stop pulling the trigger, or drop the gun.