Acute rehab care and medicare question!

Restless

Hi! I hope someone here can help me with a question. First, let me give you an overview. A good friend of ours fell in his yard and broke his left femur. He is 74 and in good condition otherwise. He had surgery last Wednesday at PG County Shock/Trauma. On Tuesday he was sent to Laurel Hospital for acute rehab. They are talking about sending him home on the 22nd. He can't even walk yet! They asked his wife to come up on Saturday and see what he as learned to do so far to see if she thinks she could manage caring for him starting on the 22nd. The problem is she is 72, petite, and just had major knee surgery three weeks ago. She goes to therapy three days a week, but still walks with a crutch. The knee is still very swollen and painful.

Their home is a split level, with 28 steps to do to get upstairs. The hospital said that he would need a wheelchair for a while.

I don't know how medicare works with this type of injury now, but when my mom fell in St. Mary's Hospital and broke her hip about 8 years ago, she went to rehab a few days after surgery, and stayed in the nursing home/rehab. unit for about six weeks. Granted she was 86, but this thing of sending our friend home two weeks after surgery seems crazy. His wife is so upset because she doesn't see how she can possibly help him get around if he can't even walk. I will say that he is very hard-headed and doesn't always listen and do what the doctors tell him to do. I also think they may be a bit annoying to the staff with lots of questions.

I guess my question is: does Medicare try to get you out as quick as possible to save on costs? Any suggestions on how I can help my friend in this situation? I apologize for probably not wording this right. We try to help these folks as much as we can. We are in our 50's. Maybe I just needed someone to listen. Thanks!

Yes, def a cost-saving measure to get patients out as quickly as possible.

However, there is also strong indications that getting a patient out of the hospital as quickly as possible is also far better for their own health. They recover faster when in their own environment.

That said, I am surprised he isn't being referred to a rehab center for at least a short spell. You may need to get the hospital patient advocate in the loop.

And now that I think about it.... the hospital always makes sure that the home is suitable for patients to return home to. I find it odd that didn't happen in this case. Seek out the hospital administrator and patient advocate and start asking questions.

Restless

Thank you, GWguy. I had forgotten about patient advocates! Great idea! I will look into that. Thanks again!

Roman

Thank you, GWguy. I had forgotten about patient advocates! Great idea! I will look into that. Thanks again!
Another good place to check is the Senior Citizens Center. We have Calvert Pines in Prince Frederick, and there is a ton of information there, as well as people to help. Good on you for trying to help.