Adopt a US Soldier

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
We have adopted 2 soldiers over the past month. They have 20-30 soldiers signing up daily and are looking for more supporters...

It's a great program and my kids are loving writing letters and sending packages and hearing back from the soldiers.

If you are interested in helping out you can sign up at
Adopt A US Soldier
:buddies:

IHDU

Does it really matter?
We have adopted 2 soldiers over the past month. They have 20-30 soldiers signing up daily and are looking for more supporters...

It's a great program and my kids are loving writing letters and sending packages and hearing back from the soldiers.

Adopt A US Soldier

That is wonderful, do they have this program for the Marines as well?

T

toppick08

Adopt A US Soldier

:yay:

LadyCoyote

Thank you for posting this!! None should feel forgotten. I heard a statistic that 32 US Army members committed suicide last month. Those serving our country need our support....Also, it's a great thing to do and get the kids involved, as well with a rewarding summer activity.

Cheers to the OP! :buddies:

LusbyMom

:biggrin: Happy to see others signing up! Please pass the link along to friends/family :)

Took the kids shopping yesterday for some things for our new soldier. Of course we went way overboard again and it is going to take 2 boxes instead of 1. :lol:

They have a forum on the website that gives great ideas for care packages and also the info on how to fill out the customs form.

lam2

tickled~pink
:biggrin: Happy to see others signing up! Please pass the link along to friends/family :)

Took the kids shopping yesterday for some things for our new soldier. Of course we went way overboard again and it is going to take 2 boxes instead of 1. :lol:

They have a forum on the website that gives great ideas for care packages and also the info on how to fill out the customs form.

What's awesome is you can send up to 70 lbs for one low price with the USPS Flat Rate Boxes!

LusbyMom

What's awesome is you can send up to 70 lbs for one low price with the USPS Flat Rate Boxes!

To bad the boxes are not bigger though :lol:

I mailed out two of the largest boxes today.. you get a discount sending to the APO addresses so they were $12.50 each.

N

navywife1984

That is wonderful, do they have this program for the Marines as well?

My son found a site last year about adopting Marines, I will see if I can find it. Unfortunately, I can't ask him right now as he is at Parris Island himself going through USMC boot camp.

:patriot:

acommondisaster

I wanted to bump this up to the top - this is such a great thing. Thanks for sharing the site. I got my soldier a couple of days ago and have sent off an email and a couple of cards. Next week I'll put together a box for her.

She doesn't know it, but this soldier has someone thinking of her all the time while she's in Afghanistan now. I found her unit's Facebook page and saw pictures of their departure to Afghanistan, which makes her even more real.

The site says that although the boxes of goodies are much anticipated, that most soldiers love the letters and cards most of all, and that some of them take letters with them while they're out on patrol, they are so cherished.

Today I received an email from the site saying they desperately need more adopters, so I'm hoping that keeping this thread current will entice a few more people to become involved.

cwoehrer

For those who are going the soldiersangels.org route, they have prepackaged cheap gift boxes and I think the shipping is free, so it is a win win all around. I highly encourage all to sign up at any of the great sites. Even if you don't get a reply, just keep sending the letters and packages.

I apologize in a previous reply I put down ".com" instead of ".org" it's soldiersangels.org and they support all troups over seas.

Last edited:

LusbyMom

I wanted to bump this up to the top - this is such a great thing. Thanks for sharing the site. I got my soldier a couple of days ago and have sent off an email and a couple of cards. Next week I'll put together a box for her.

She doesn't know it, but this soldier has someone thinking of her all the time while she's in Afghanistan now. I found her unit's Facebook page and saw pictures of their departure to Afghanistan, which makes her even more real.

The site says that although the boxes of goodies are much anticipated, that most soldiers love the letters and cards most of all, and that some of them take letters with them while they're out on patrol, they are so cherished.

Today I received an email from the site saying they desperately need more adopters, so I'm hoping that keeping this thread current will entice a few more people to become involved.

Thanks! I got the email today too... and I hope others will continue to sign up.

Someone at work today was telling me that they soldiers are coming home and I told him that might be true but others are going there. It must be a switch out and that's why the need is so great for people to sign up.

When I was mailing packages out this week the lady working at the post office was telling me how one couple supports TWO whole platoons.. She said they will bring in 8-10 HUGE boxes all the time.. I wish that I was able to support that many!