Adopt from a Rescue, make room to save more...

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I do not get out alot myself..as I have to have a sitter for mom to leave..that is what I said...and I can not have a sitter come in from the outside...It has to be hubby or daughter

Mrs. Hap

Pasofever said:
I do not get out alot myself..as I have to have a sitter for mom to leave..that is what I said...and I can not have a sitter come in from the outside...It has to be hubby or daughter

Yes, and you also pointed out that hubby said you cannot leave without your mother and you can't carry the wheelchair down the stairs. Those are very, very heavy. Its mean of him to tell you that everytime you leave the house you have to take her. Its ridiculous and not practical.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Mrs. Hap said:
Yes, and you also pointed out that hubby said you cannot leave without your mother and you can't carry the wheelchair down the stairs. Those are very, very heavy. Its mean of him to tell you that everytime you leave the house you have to take her. Its ridiculous and not practical.

Right but that is his way of having me not leave...so instead of saying..YOU CAN NOT GO..he says take your mom..so I stay home...I get daughter to watch her when I can so I can have some "fun"

Mrs. Hap

Pasofever said:
Right but that is his way of having me not leave...so instead of saying..YOU CAN NOT GO..he says take your mom..so I stay home...I get daughter to watch her when I can so I can have some "fun"

Sorry, I took that when you posted it as - if I leave I have to take my mother. Meaning you couldn't leave the house (ever) unless you took your mom. Glad you can get out some!!!

Mrs. Hap

Pasofever said:
Married over 20 yrs he does not hit but I do not talk back and I yes sir no sir and move out of his way...He was not like this at first..but with taking care of mom and the animals I am limited to moving..even though I pay ALL the bills here...And now he told me today I can not leave the house unless I take mom with me..but he says this all the time..Sure you can go but take your mom..knowing I can not get the wheel chair down stairs by myself...

Here, this is the one I got tripped up on. I thought you couldn't leave at all.

action jackson

so many people think of animals as disposable. No wonder the shelters are so crowded. Also there is help available to have animals spayed and neutered.

Fingel_Hymer

Restricted User
I agree 100% with you. We have three dogs and all three were rescues.... Heck, even drove to Phili to pick one of them up!

B

Beth_kennedy

Hubby told me this am I have to place all 3 of the small dogs :bawl: or he will kill them..I hope he gets over this...

You could always point a gun to his nads and give him a choice, the dogs stay if his balls stays.....:shrug:

B

Beth_kennedy

Karma for whom? Paso is living in Hell. He's a happy vegetable.

He's probably forgotten what dogs and nads are.

You are probably right, I was in a relationship once many many moons ago, that was bad. He was and still is for the most part an #######, but what goes around comes around....

I just got tired of waiting for it to come around, so I broke his fingers.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Karma for whom? Paso is living in Hell. He's a happy vegetable.

He's probably forgotten what dogs and nads are.

Acutally I am adjusting..it is quiet and I do not have to answer to anyone...he is tied in a bed with mittens..I just tried to call him and all he does is yell and cry and act like he is fighting to get up or yelling for help...He made my life hard for a long time...he is suffering way worse then I ever did..Makes me sad for anyone to be in that shape but I would feel alot of peeps would say he had it coming to him..I went on a ride today and had the neighbor watch mom...I did not have to tippy toe around to make sure I did not mess up and not be "allowed to go" I can now make plans ahead of time and not wonder if they will be messed up...

breezy9999

rescues

sorry just need to vent for a moment... I know it's great to adopt from a rescue and everything but lately here I have not had much luck because I have 2 kids. I am probably going to end up buying from a breeder because the rescues I have applied for won't adopt a large dog out to somebody with kids. I own a large breed dog who is great with kids. It's very frustrating. I am trying not to go to a breeder, but I can't adopt so.....

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
sorry just need to vent for a moment... I know it's great to adopt from a rescue and everything but lately here I have not had much luck because I have 2 kids. I am probably going to end up buying from a breeder because the rescues I have applied for won't adopt a large dog out to somebody with kids. I own a large breed dog who is great with kids. It's very frustrating. I am trying not to go to a breeder, but I can't adopt so.....

This is not entirely true. Rescues do adopt to people with children. Each situation is handled individually.

Did you try to adopt from Tri-County...they have a lot of large dogs.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!

Breezy, not sure of the situation but, rescues do adopt out to peeps with kids, but it has to be under the right situation. Bottom line is...what is the best situation for the dog, a 4ever home...not a well, the dog keeps jumping up on my kid...etc....my kid is scared so I need to give the pup up.. I work with SHR and I can say, they are full disclosure and look out for the best interest in all involved. JMHO!!:howdy:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Breezy, not sure of the situation but, rescues do adopt out to peeps with kids, but it has to be under the right situation. Bottom line is...what is the best situation for the dog, a 4ever home...not a well, the dog keeps jumping up on my kid...etc....my kid is scared so I need to give the pup up.. I work with SHR and I can say, they are full disclosure and look out for the best interest in all involved. JMHO!!:howdy:

Some rescues won't adopt small dogs to people with kids...my Chih mix hates children and when provoked, can be nippy.
SouthernMdRocks is right- they try to find what is best for the animal as well as the family!

Last edited:

libby

Are there any adopt-a-pet events going on this weekend in St. Mary's County?
Do any of the shelters have hours that they are open to look at the dogs?

dawn

Are there any adopt-a-pet events going on this weekend in St. Mary's County?
Do any of the shelters have hours that they are open to look at the dogs?

Humane Society of Calvert County - Home

If you call them close to closing time, they will wait around for you! They are open Saturday and Sunday.

Humane Society of Charles County, Maryland

They are open Saturdays

Pepper's Pet Pantry
View Event - February 1, 2009

Peppers has pet adoption every Sunday. Above is their website and their calender for this coming Sunday.

Good Luck.

edit -- I now see you said St. Mary's. Sorry, what I posted is everything but. :doh:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Absolutely - we have directly supported many of the organizations on that list ourselves :buddies: as we are all trying to do the same thing ... save lives!

One of my personal rescues is a Rottweiler that was assumed to be dangerous because he was food aggressive, so thankfully a Rottie rescue got him from the shelter before he was put down as unadoptable. Rottweilers and other large breed dogs are feared, so that fear breeds mistrust by people in general and results in the breed being judged harshly. This bay boy I adopted was merely misunderstood because he had been STARVED ... so that was his reason for his food aggression. Most times it is people who create the bad behaviors we see in our furry friends.

Hopefully we can soon find a home for the black Chow mix Ms. Bea - she wants nothing more than to be close to people. She ever-so-gently accepts treats from my hand, not even the slightest bit of bad behavior from her at all. So many of these dogs are just looking for someone to love them.

If you are looking to adopt an animal, be it dog or cat or even a rabbit, please check your local rescues. These rescue groups pull the animals from the shelter or take owner surrenders to keep them from death row at the shelter, but every dog we have in rescue that isn't adopted takes up room, keeping us from helping other dogs.

The other way to really help rescue and save dogs/cats from being killed at the shelter is to be a foster home, opening your home to these wonderful animals and being their "bridge" from their old life to their new life.

Local organizations:

Lucky Ones

Second Hope Rescue

Happy Cats

AARF

SMAWL

CAWL

Humane Society of Calvert County

Golden Retriever Rescue of Southern Maryland

Bunny Magic

The Thelma Foundation

Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue