Adult lessons and trail rides

ahtnamas

We're looking for a stable that can give some lessons to a newbie and rent horses for unsupervised trail rides.

We live in Charles County, south of La Plata.

I'm an intermediate-level rider; I haven't ridden in 25 years, but I know I haven't forgotten anything that I learned since high school and college. I learned English style. I'd like to get back on a horse, I enjoyed it.

My husband has been on a horse once, on a supervised trail ride, nothing exciting. I expect he will pick it the skills quickly; he has a good sense of rhythm and learns new things quickly. He'll need a few lessons to start, someone to show him the ropes.

We would also like to take unsupervised rides in whatever farm area is available, once the instructors decide that we can handle the horses alone.

Can anyone recommend a good stable for adults like us, with horses for a range of riding skills?

Thanks.

ahtnamas

ElliesMom

Theres only one place over in Piscataway area, dont know how much i'd really want to ride there or how much longer they will be there. Forget any unsuperpervised rides thats far to much of an insurance liability!

W

WhoCares

There are plenty of places to take lessons, but there are no lesson barns that I know that will let you just take one of their horses on a ride. It is a huge insurance risk. What about maybe half leasing a horse, and that way you can do that.

ahtnamas

So, as to the lessons, do I just look in the yellow pages under "riding stables" and start phoning, or can someone recommend a good instructional stable in the area? Word-of-mouth recommendations are usually the best.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
So, as to the lessons, do I just look in the yellow pages under "riding stables" and start phoning, or can someone recommend a good instructional stable in the area? Word-of-mouth recommendations are usually the best.

Ahtnamas you might want to check out the Equiery. Riding & Boarding Stables - The Equiery What type of riding were you looking to do? English, Western, Trail, Dressage, Eventing? I know you said you use to ride English.

ahtnamas

Ahtnamas you might want to check out the Equiery. Riding & Boarding Stables - The Equiery What type of riding were you looking to do? English, Western, Trail, Dressage, Eventing? I know you said you use to ride English.

We're interested in pleasure riding for fun and relaxation, in what little spare time we have.

I actually learned the basics of riding at age 13 in Scotland, on a family trip, so of course I learned English, with posting and the whole bouncy thing. The hotel on Loch Ness we stayed at had a large stable, and I picked it up very quickly. The stable taught us to ride by putting us up on horses and treating each ride like a group class. We were only there for less than a week, but I think I was riding every day we were there.

Then I took it up again in college at a local stable. They had sort-of modified English. The people there said I was about intermediate level, and that with not being on a horse for 4 years! I just want to get out on the trail again, it was fun. My husband wants to learn to ride, he's only been on a horse once or twice.

I'm also perfectly willing to learn proper Western style, too, it's probably a good thing to know both languages, so to speak.

I will check out that stable list, thanks.

l.hay

we are l;ocated in frederick md,we would be happy to accomadate you.our site is middleridgefarm.com.i also have access to a beautiful camp in somerset co pa.and we specialize in guided trails.the senery is breath taking and you can also stay right.makes a nice weekend gettaway.l.kahy@comcast.net fr more info