advice needed.

HiddenOaksFarm

Blahhh! Anyone have a reg. horse that you KNOW has papers and the prev. owner will not give up?! Even tho they don't own the horse anymore?! I am trying to get the papers for my horse, and the biggest reason I can think of is they don't want me to run him.. I have NO INTENT of ever racing him. I have bill of sale.. and every payment was in writing. Is that enough to keep him from being reclaimed? any way of obtaining his papers? or is this a lost cause... any advice?? I am very frustrated.

Sparks

I'm assuming this is a gelding? Just wondering why you'd need papers for a TB gelding. I would think you could get something from the Jockey Club if you REALLY needed to.

Spicober

Blahhh! Anyone have a reg. horse that you KNOW has papers and the prev. owner will not give up?! Even tho they don't own the horse anymore?! I am trying to get the papers for my horse, and the biggest reason I can think of is they don't want me to run him.. I have NO INTENT of ever racing him. I have bill of sale.. and every payment was in writing. Is that enough to keep him from being reclaimed? any way of obtaining his papers? or is this a lost cause... any advice?? I am very frustrated.

Was he raced recently? If so was it local? You could POSSIBLY?? go to the office at the track. That is where I got papers for one of mine.

covekat

You are good with a bill of sale, if you really want you could ask for a copy of his papers. The racing office will not turn the papers over to you (even though you now own him) without the prior owner giving permission.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
You are good with a bill of sale, if you really want you could ask for a copy of his papers. The racing office will not turn the papers over to you (even though you now own him) without the prior owner giving permission.

:yeahthat:
BUT...I have recovered papers from racing offices when a groom when and retrieved them for me. Becuase of the bill of sale, I was then able to transfer ownership. The groom wrote in ink on the papers "Not for Racing". That was for a mare, tough to justify the effort for a gelding IMO. Either way, best of luck.

Eventer29

What do you want the papers for? If it is just to verify age, race record or something like that you can look up the horse's Id (lip tat). on the JC web page. They have a section where you can do a horse id search. We use it if all we have is a tat id on the horse. Just to find out who they are, age, race record. We then just pass those papers on to the next owner if we sell the horse.

ladyhawk

As long as you have the name he was officially registered under (tatoo or not), I would contact the breed registration and see what they can do. Tell them you purchased a horse, have the bill of sale and see if they will work with you.

They may want a copy of the bill of sale prior to releasing the papers.

Thats what I would do...
June

CountryLady

luvmyponies
What did your purchasing contract state regarding the registration papers?
Was it mentioned at all?
Was the horse advertised for sale as registered?

IF so you may have legal means to force the transfer of papers? i.e. Breech of contract.

My experiance of working with JC is that they will only reissue papers to last
registered "owner of record", regardless of who currently owns the horse i.e. "proof of purchase".

ALSO: Are you sure that the person that you purchased your TB from is the last owner of record?

Last edited:

Robin

Does this apply to your situation?
18. SOLD WITHOUT PEDIGREE

A. Any owner who desires a horse no longer to be considered a Thoroughbred for racing or breeding purposes must promptly surrender the Certificate of Foal Registration to The Jockey Club within 60 days after the date of sale with an accompanying notation that the horse was transferred or sold "without pedigree." The notation must be signed by the owner or authorized agent and indicate the date of disposition. In the event the owner or authorized agent surrenders the Certificate of Foal Registration to The Jockey Club in the above manner more than 60 days after the date of transfer or sale, then the new owner or transferee must also submit a statement that the horse was purchased or received without pedigree.

covekat

:yeahthat:
BUT...I have recovered papers from racing offices when a groom when and retrieved them for me. Becuase of the bill of sale, I was then able to transfer ownership. The groom wrote in ink on the papers "Not for Racing". That was for a mare, tough to justify the effort for a gelding IMO. Either way, best of luck.

Unless the groom was acting as the agent (they need a seperate license to do that) this is something that is not the norm. The owners own the papers... although you might own the horse. It is up to the owners whether or not to give you the papers. Even writing on the papers is not a guarentee that the horse will no longer race... you can just pay for duplicate papers.