advise with senior cat

music

UPDATE ON :advise with senior cat

Hello

Just thought I'd tell everyone I took the top off the litter box & it worked great! My senior cat is no longer peeing outside of the litter box. I also decided to go ahead and adopt another cat. Her name is Socks, she is about 1 1/2 years old and is a tuxedo black/white cat. I get her tonight after work.... YIPPEE :yahoo:

Last edited:
J

jp2854

I also have a senior cat but now that I got a litterbox with high sides on it she doesn't pee outside of it. My cat was famous for sticking her butt over the top and peeing or going in my closet and peeing which has stopped thankgoodness.

I also have a younger cat whos only I think 6months old and I also have a dog who is 1yrs old so the kitten and the dog play with each other and once in a while the kitten will go mess with my senior cat.

L

luckystar

I also have a senior cat but now that I got a litterbox with high sides on it she doesn't pee outside of it. My cat was famous for sticking her butt over the top and peeing or going in my closet and peeing which has stopped thankgoodness.

I also have a younger cat whos only I think 6months old and I also have a dog who is 1yrs old so the kitten and the dog play with each other and once in a while the kitten will go mess with my senior cat.

Jp has some sound advice here, I'd definitely give that a shot.

Is she arthritic though, or do you suspect any vision problems? Like for example, if she walks up to a room where the light has been switched on or off, does she stop and collect herself?

Cowgirl

Make a litter box out of big rubbermaid storage containers and cut a hole in the side. No way she'll miss with that.

music

Jp has some sound advice here, I'd definitely give that a shot.

Is she arthritic though, or do you suspect any vision problems? Like for example, if she walks up to a room where the light has been switched on or off, does she stop and collect herself?
She doesn't seem to have vision problems. She is arthritic. However, I have the high sides on the enclosed litter box. She goes inside the box. She just doesn't turn around in it to pee. She goes in it and then pees out the opening. Do you think it would help to have the higher sides without the cover on it? I haven't tried that one yet. I just thought if it was enclosed it would keep her inside of it!

Last edited:

music

Make a litter box out of big rubbermaid storage containers and cut a hole in the side. No way she'll miss with that.

I have the enclosed litter pan with the high sides. She just goes inside of the box and doesn't turn around....peeing out the opening of the box!

J

jp2854

shes probably doing it because its smells inside the box. that is why i don't have a hood on my litterbox. I have an open litterbox that has high sides and yes my female (senior cat) also does the same thing yours does and doesn't turn around she goes in and pees and hops right back out.

music

shes probably doing it because its smells inside the box. that is why i don't have a hood on my litterbox. I have an open litterbox that has high sides and yes my female (senior cat) also does the same thing yours does and doesn't turn around she goes in and pees and hops right back out.

So what do you do about it? Right now I put plastic down in front of it and put a towel in front of the opening. I have hardwood floors and she has stained one spot - because I didn't realize she was doing it....

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Maybe she just doesn't realize that when she's peeing, it's going outside. Maybe there's no "reason" behind it. :shrug:

music

Maybe she just doesn't realize that when she's peeing, it's going outside. Maybe there's no "reason" behind it. :shrug:
I agree that there isn't a reason for it. She went to the vet a few months ago with a clean bill of health. I do agree that I really don't think she realizes what she is doing. I just don't know what to do about it as far as finding a solution so she isn't peeing on the floor......

music

Hello

I have a few questions about my cats. I have a senior cat (she will be 16 in May) who is using the litter box, but when she pees she is peeing on the outside of the litterbox. I have tried getting a larger pan as well as having enclosed litter boxes. She likes to pee on the side of the litter box except now that she is older she isn't turning around when see goes. Any suggestions on how to correct it? She THINKS she is going in the litter box and doesn't have any problems using the litterbox..... she's just missing when she pees.

Also, I have a cat that I rescued last year that is now being obnoxious with my senior cat. I have gone back and forth about getting another younger cat to entertain her so that they will leave my older cat alone? Thoughts/suggestions on that as well?

TIA :howdy:
I just got a brillant idea from a co worker to put a puppy pad in front of the litter box so when she pees it hits the puppy pad.

I am going to try the litter box without the lid - as it has the high sides and see if that helps. Thank you all for your input.... I never thought about her not liking the covered box due to not being able to see or like the smell.

Any feedback about getting another cat to play with my younger cat. My younger cat, Libby, is a rescue. She loves other cats and LOVES to play. She torments and chases my senior cat. I thought maybe if I got another young cat for Libby to play with she'd leave my senior cat alone. Thoughts/suggestions on that?

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!

That's a good idea! My senior has the same type issue so I put his litter box in the walk-in shower so if he misses, it's easier to clean. Now he thinks he doesn't even have to try and aim!!

DosGattos

My cat used to miss his litterbox. We used puppy pads all around it and then we got a Budha Dome. No missing that. We still put the puppy pads around his box just in case. I would consider getting another younger cat so your older cat can be left in peace.

dmarc

I have a few questions about my cats. I have a senior cat (she will be 16 in May) who is using the litter box, but when she pees she is peeing on the outside of the litterbox. I have tried getting a larger pan as well as having enclosed litter boxes. She likes to pee on the side of the litter box except now that she is older she isn't turning around when see goes. Any suggestions on how to correct it? She THINKS she is going in the litter box and doesn't have any problems using the litterbox..... she's just missing when she pees.

:howdy:

I had a 17-year-old female who did the same thing. Found out she was blind. To check this, take a white cotton ball and move it in front of the cat's face. If the eyes track the cotton ball, she can see - and it might be a behavioral (she is upset about something you did) problem.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
As Dos recommends, buy the puppy pee pads and put them under the box a bit and she can pee on that. She's just old and is having a little trouble navigating. I have one old guy who occasionally misses the box..I just change the pad after he has an "accident."

When they get old, they can be arthritic..a bit senile or whatever...so a higher sided box or one with a hole in it may not work so well if they're having trouble getting around in the litter box.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
:fraint:

Aren't animals just grand??

I would get the litter box off the hardwoods....then get one of those sheet metal trays or big plastic lid from a rubbermaid box and slip it under the litter pan to be your catch all.

If you use the sheet metal tray (like the kind they put under appliances) the seams are usely welded so they won't leak.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
Hello

Also, I have a cat that I rescued last year that is now being obnoxious with my senior cat. I have gone back and forth about getting another younger cat to entertain her so that they will leave my older cat alone? Thoughts/suggestions on that as well?

TIA :howdy:

Is this a female also?

Two females is NO GOOD trouble
If so try introducing a male (all neutered and spayed of course)

L

luckystar

Any feedback about getting another cat to play with my younger cat. My younger cat, Libby, is a rescue. She loves other cats and LOVES to play. She torments and chases my senior cat. I thought maybe if I got another young cat for Libby to play with she'd leave my senior cat alone. Thoughts/suggestions on that?

All that I've read or heard apart from "wait it out" are things along the line of "it's better for his/her health than the typical senior sedentary lifestyle."

How long as it been? If it's been a while and they're still not getting along, try separating them for a while and reintroducing them like all those online guides explain (towel under the door that gets flipped after a while so they can readjust to the other's scent).

Then when you do let them hang out together, give them lots of high pitched praise and treats. Throw a party just for them, and let them know that awesome stuff happens when they see the other cat. Keep doing that, and watch their (more the senior's) comfort level. Adjust their meetings accordingly.

music

All that I've read or heard apart from "wait it out" are things along the line of "it's better for his/her health than the typical senior sedentary lifestyle."

How long as it been? If it's been a while and they're still not getting along, try separating them for a while and reintroducing them like all those online guides explain (towel under the door that gets flipped after a while so they can readjust to the other's scent).

Then when you do let them hang out together, give them lots of high pitched praise and treats. Throw a party just for them, and let them know that awesome stuff happens when they see the other cat. Keep doing that, and watch their (more the senior's) comfort level. Adjust their meetings accordingly.

They have been together for over a year and have been fine. I just think that the younger one is quite "full" over herself. She isn't hurting the older one...just tormenting her and teasing her - being obnoxious about her youth I guess. I honestly think it is because she wants to PLAY and doesn't understand why the older one DOESN'T. The younger one does play with my dog - which is hysterical since my dog is a shepherd/mix that weighs about 85 lbs!

So it's not that the younger one is being just AWFUL toward the other one - she is just being a typical younger cat who thinks she is queen of the universe and I didn't know if having another younger cat for her to play with would help things or make it worse.

music

:fraint:

Aren't animals just grand??

I would get the litter box off the hardwoods....then get one of those sheet metal trays or big plastic lid from a rubbermaid box and slip it under the litter pan to be your catch all.

If you use the sheet metal tray (like the kind they put under appliances) the seams are usely welded so they won't leak.

Where would I get the sheet metal tray...it sounds like a great idea....and would like to try it. I did go get the puppy pads today - which have already been used :whistle:

and yes both cats are female & both are fixed. My older one acts & Thinks she is part dog...and the other one is definitely all cat...but is very sweet.