Aetna pulls completely out of Obamacare....

tommyjo

How about these for reasons:

1. The Republicans have been passing repeal bills for years.

2. The Republicans were voted into office (or at least CLAIM they were voted into office to repeal the ACA).

3. The entire right wing fringe element of the country has been apoplectic about this law since it was passed.

Wait till it dies?

1. Shows no ability to lead.

2. Shows no ability to govern despite controlling the legislative and executive branch

3. Shows no thought or concern at all for the citizens of the country (that includes all the right wing fringe freaks).

No, let it die is not a politically palatable option.

Does that help answer your idiotic question?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Obama said "if you like your insurance, you can keep your insurance."

Well, I LOVED Aetna and my employer dropped them when they refused to participate in Obamacare. I ended up having to pick insurance that I'm not all that happy with at all.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Then why is that all the left decided to do? Why did they bake the failure in to the cake in the first place? Why did Barry Mom Jeans tell so many, many lies about what was in it?

SamSpade

Obamacare is not dying because the Republicans are sabotaging it, and insurance companies aren't pulling out left and right because of anything the GOP has done.

The primary reason is cost - and I can easily find quotes for that even if it is intuitively obvious.
They can't afford to remain. More than one company has had a CEO or someone use the term - "death spiral".
Not enough participants - rising premiums - fewer participants - even higher premiums.

For ALL THE TALK about how terrible it is to kill Obamacare, there's no question how bad it is to leave it the way it is.

Insurance you can't afford is every bit as bad as insurance you can't get - except with Obamacare, you get FINED if you don't have it.

stgislander

PREMO Member

2. The Republicans were voted into office (or at least CLAIM they were voted into office to repeal the ACA).

3. The entire right wing fringe element of the country has been apoplectic about this law since it was passed.

Wait till it dies?

2. Shows no ability to govern despite controlling the legislative and executive branch

3. Shows no thought or concern at all for the citizens of the country (that includes all the right wing fringe freaks).

So then what are your thoughts on how to fix the health insurance/care problem?

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Wait till it dies?

Carefirst, BlueCross, BlueShield just announced a 50% premium hike for their customers in MD.. 29% for those in DC, and 35% for NVA...

Reporting a loss of 600 MILIION since the implementation of Obamacare.. though they admit the increase in Premiums probably won't help as the premiums get more expensive more people will just opt out and pay the fine...

CAREFIRST CEO reports.. "In the end you can raise the rates high enough so the burning houses are the only ones left to insure.." The healthy people Obamacare depends on to pay for pre-existing and high risk customers will opt out.. if you're left with only high risk and pre-existing customers how high will the rates go then??

Of note, not mention on how high the deductibles are going to go..

BUT again.. Obamacare gave most insurance, but took actual healthcare away.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Anyone read the link?

They lost $450 mil on 1 million customers. That's $450 per person, $37.50 a month and they break even. $1.25 a day.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Carefirst, BlueCross, BlueShield just announced a 50% premium hike for their customers in MD.. 29% for those in DC, and 35% for NVA...

Reporting a loss of 600 MILIION since the implementation of Obamacare.. though they admit the increase in Premiums probably won't help as the premiums get more expensive more people will just opt out and pay the fine...

CAREFIRST CEO reports.. "In the end you can raise the rates high enough so the burning houses are the only ones left to insure.." The healthy people Obamacare depends on to pay for pre-existing and high risk customers will opt out.. if you're left with only high risk and pre-existing customers how high will the rates go then??

Of note, not mention on how high the deductibles are going to go..

BUT again.. Obamacare gave most insurance, but took actual healthcare away.

These rate hikes, do they only apply to the policies offered through Obamacare or do the spread the cost to policies offered by employers, etc. as well?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Anyone read the link?

They lost $450 mil on 1 million customers. That's $450 per person, $37.50 a month and they break even. $1.25 a day.

Define loss..

They made 450M less than they did last year, or are they showing a 450M dollar loss on their balance sheet compared to a 1 Billion in profit the year prior?

If they made a Billion prior, and are now showing a loss of 450M.. that's fairly significant..

Not saying 450M isn't significant in it's own right..

Then where does it end? For every dollar their premiums go up, that's another fraction of percent of customers they are going to lose, another fraction of a dollar per month premiums must go up the next year..

It may be ONLY 37.50 a month, but an extra $10 a month could be the straw that some families will say "It's more important to eat than have health insurance!" and they'll opt out. Obamcare has a LOT of middle class families walking a financial tight rope.. ONE sick person in their family.. ONE week long hospital stay and their tenuous position becomes a financial tragedy.. ONE more premium increase and insurance becomes unaffordable.

This_person

Anyone read the link?

You're assuming they don't bake catastrophic expectations into their equation. You're also assuming they should break even. I could not imagine that being less than 100/person/month. So, you're average family of four is seeing a $100/week increase in their premium.

But, using your example, at $37.50/person/month, the average family of four is seeing $37.50/week increase in premium, or $5.36/day.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Define loss..

They made 450M less than they did last year, or are they showing a 450M dollar loss on their balance sheet compared to a 1 Billion in profit the year prior?

If they made a Billion prior, and are now showing a loss of 450M.. that's fairly significant..

Not saying 450M isn't significant in it's own right..

Then where does it end? For every dollar their premiums go up, that's another fraction of percent of customers they are going to lose, another fraction of a dollar per month premiums must go up the next year..

It may be ONLY 37.50 a month, but an extra $10 a month could be the straw that some families will say "It's more important to eat than have health insurance!" and they'll opt out. Obamcare has a LOT of middle class families walking a financial tight rope.. ONE sick person in their family.. ONE week long hospital stay and their tenuous position becomes a financial tragedy.. ONE more premium increase and insurance becomes unaffordable.

I only using the data given. Based on the article THEY say they lost $450 mil on 1 mil customers. I'm not saying it's significant or a drop in their bucket. I'm saying it's $37.50 a month. Everything you say about the straw is totally true and I despise the ACA and the GOP for not repealing it. That said, Trump was for ending the monopolies. I see nothing happening there. Maybe Aetna simply spends $37.50 too much a month because they don't have enough competition? Trump was for expanding Medicaid, just putting folks into the existing devil we know. I see none of that.

Regardless, health care costs are NOT market based and have NOT been since before WWII. The results were inevitable and predictable. Our desire for more and more care, the industries interest in developing more and more treatments, means, absent market discipline AND absent the 'single' payer being the customer, we gonna keep what we got; a mess.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You're assuming they don't bake catastrophic expectations into their equation. You're also assuming they should break even. I could not imagine that being less than 100/person/month. So, you're average family of four is seeing a $100/week increase in their premium.

But, using your example, at $37.50/person/month, the average family of four is seeing $37.50/week increase in premium, or $5.36/day.

I'm assuming nothing. I am restating what THEY said in the article. Now, I am assuming they were accurately quoted.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Obamcare has a LOT of middle class families walking a financial tight rope.. ONE sick person in their family.. ONE week long hospital stay and their tenuous position becomes a financial tragedy.. ONE more premium increase and insurance becomes unaffordable.

Yeah, we self-insured just seem to get lip service from everyone. When your monthly premiums begin to equal your monthly mortgage payment, something is completely out of wack.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Obama said "if you like your insurance, you can keep your insurance."

Well, I LOVED Aetna and my employer dropped them when they refused to participate in Obamacare. I ended up having to pick insurance that I'm not all that happy with at all.

What does employer insurance have to do with Obamacare? Not sure what you mean here.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
my premiums have doubled in 3 yrs from $ 500 to 1072 ...

And Aetna wants to stop providing over $450 a YEAR? Obviously, I don't know who you deal with but, whomever it is, they're getting $6,000 a year more from you so, it stand to reason Aetna has had significant increases, too.

Hijinx

Obamacare was dying. Even the stupid assed Demmy's could see that, but what suggestions did they make to help?

Answer: None.

The Republicans should have let it die and let the Demmy's own it.
Now the Republicans own it and it has changed little/.

That is why they should have left it alone.