'African American autonomous zones'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Former city council candidate to introduce ballot initiative creating 'African American autonomous zones' in DC

The act would preserve East of the Anacostia River and the Langdon Park/Brentwood area in Northeast DC, as well as Colonial Village and Shepered Park in Northwest DC as historically black areas that would be covered under the act.

"These African American autonomous regions, would be turned into their own cities, with their own mayor and own city Councilmembers, operating separately and free from control by the present DC government," wrote Sarter.

According to Sarter, east of the Anacostia is 90 percent African American, a place he calls "the perfect area for a African American autonomous region" due to its population demographic and its isolation from the rest of the city due to the 295 highway that runs along the river.

"To deny African Americans autonomous regions in DC, would be denying us our basic human rights," wrote Sarter.

Sarter states that African Americans have the right to an autonomous region because they classify as indigenous people under the United Nations’ definitions. In the United Nations Declaration of Indigenous Rights, they state that indigenous people have the right to autonomous areas.

According to the United Nations, indigenous people are defined as: “the descendants of those who inhabited a country or a geographical region at the time when people of different cultures or ethnic origins arrived. The new arrivals later became dominant through conquest, occupation, settlement or other means."

Blacks are not indigenous to North America and at 12 - 14 % of the population hardly defined as ' dominant ' - go back to Africa

SamSpade

Strange. Anacostia - the neighborhood AND the entire region east of the Anacostia River - prior to the 60's was whiter than Kansas.

I don't know what metric they're using as "historic" as in "historically black" but my guess is, if you know people who remember when it was vastly different - or grew up there - I'd say it's not historically black.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yep White Working Class .... people move, demographics change

at what point does a neighborhood become a zone for one race or another

well thb the dude is only 22 these area's have been black as long as he has been alive ....

I'll just point him to Chicago and how well that city is run

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Not sure what they're really after here but if it's what will actually end up happening, ... I'm thinking "Escape from New York" as a Template.

• Love
Reactions: BOP

glhs837

Power with Control
So, where will they get tax money from? You want to be autonomous, you gonna need some cash.

Reactions: BOP

SamSpade

Not sure what they're really after here but if it's what will actually end up happening, ... I'm thinking "Escape from New York" as a Template.

I'm not sure under any existing law - they can GET anything meaningful. This is still the District of Columbia. They can't just "split" into separate cities.

If they can't - what does "autonomy" mean?

BOP

Former city council candidate to introduce ballot initiative creating 'African American autonomous zones' in DC

The act would preserve East of the Anacostia River and the Langdon Park/Brentwood area in Northeast DC, as well as Colonial Village and Shepered Park in Northwest DC as historically black areas that would be covered under the act.

"These African American autonomous regions, would be turned into their own cities, with their own mayor and own city Councilmembers, operating separately and free from control by the present DC government," wrote Sarter.

According to Sarter, east of the Anacostia is 90 percent African American, a place he calls "the perfect area for a African American autonomous region" due to its population demographic and its isolation from the rest of the city due to the 295 highway that runs along the river.

"To deny African Americans autonomous regions in DC, would be denying us our basic human rights," wrote Sarter.

Sarter states that African Americans have the right to an autonomous region because they classify as indigenous people under the United Nations’ definitions. In the United Nations Declaration of Indigenous Rights, they state that indigenous people have the right to autonomous areas.

According to the United Nations, indigenous people are defined as: “the descendants of those who inhabited a country or a geographical region at the time when people of different cultures or ethnic origins arrived. The new arrivals later became dominant through conquest, occupation, settlement or other means."

Blacks are not indigenous to North America and at 12 - 14 % of the population hardly defined as ' dominant ' - go back to Africa

So basically free-fire zones?

Okay, fine. If you come out of your so-called "autonomous zones," the rest of us reserve the right to shoot you in the head. Deal?

Hijinx

This is one of the most stupid ideas I have heard in a while.
It sounds like something a former member of the city council would come up with.
A City Council not well known for it's brilliance.

SamSpade

Having their own mayor and city council does sort of make it a separate city. Again, maybe I just don't know how autonomy is supposed to work, but it sounds a lot like they just want to break off from DC - somewhat. Does that make them a "separate city" within the District? Or part of Maryland?

I do get that Anacostia - or rather, the whole region across the river, which is mistakenly called "Anacostia" because TECHNICALLY it's just a small neighborhood inside that region - it IS cut off from DC in some sense that there's a river - and a highway - that sort of cuts it off from DC. But not really in any meaningful way. Lot of major cities have parts "cut off" from the rest - New York, Boston, Providence - very few coastal cities I can think of do NOT have portions of the city "cut off" in like manner. The "geography" angle doesn't really cut it, either.

Tech

Weren't Georgetown and Alexandria independent towns in the District at one time?