African American Civil War Memorial & Museum

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Sotterley Plantation is proud to partner with The Boeing Company in announcing the upcoming 2012 Speaker Series presentation entitled “African American Civil War Memorial and Museum” by Frank Smith, Ph.D. Fulfilling a lifelong dream to honor African Americans who fought for freedom as United States Colored Troops during the Civil War, he is the founder and president of this significant Washington, D.C., memorial and museum.

The United States Colored Troops made up over 10 percent of the Union or Northern Army even though they were prohibited from joining until July 1862, 15 months into the war. They comprised 25 percent of the Union Navy. Yet, only one percent of the Northern population was African American. Clearly overrepresented in the military, African Americans played a decisive role in the Civil War. African Americans fought in every major campaign and battle during the last two years of the war earning 25 Medals of Honor. Abraham Lincoln, recognizing their contributions, declared, “Without the military help of the black freedmen, the war against the South could not have been won.”

This event is FREE to the public. Advance reservations are required due to limited seating. Call 301-373-2280 to make your reservation.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Sotterley Plantation is proud to partner with The Boeing Company in announcing the upcoming 2012 Speaker Series presentation entitled “African American Civil War Memorial and Museum” by Frank Smith, Ph.D. Fulfilling a lifelong dream to honor African Americans who fought for freedom as United States Colored Troops during the Civil War, he is the founder and president of this significant Washington, D.C., memorial and museum.

The United States Colored Troops made up over 10 percent of the Union or Northern Army even though they were prohibited from joining until July 1862, 15 months into the war. They comprised 25 percent of the Union Navy. Yet, only one percent of the Northern population was African American. Clearly overrepresented in the military, African Americans played a decisive role in the Civil War. African Americans fought in every major campaign and battle during the last two years of the war earning 25 Medals of Honor. Abraham Lincoln, recognizing their contributions, declared, “Without the military help of the black freedmen, the war against the South could not have been won.”

This event is FREE to the public. Advance reservations are required due to limited seating. Call 301-373-2280 to make your reservation.
Jimmy is not going to take this well, not well at all. :cds:

blacklabman

Oh! Were they called African-Americans then? If you want to be an African before being an American, why don't you go back there. I'm tired of this whatever-American BS.

mamatutu

mama to two
Thanks for posting the info about Blacks in the Civil War military; I knew they served, but never knew to what extent. I like to think I learn something everyday, and this is today's lesson. Thanks. :smile:

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
Thanks for posting the info about Blacks in the Civil War military; I knew they served, but never knew to what extent. I like to think I learn something everyday, and this is today's lesson. Thanks. :smile:

You might want to try renting "Glory" starring matthew broderick and denzel washington released around 1989.

JPCusick

My real name.
Repair.

Jimmy is not going to take this well, not well at all. :cds:

Both Sharon and the Sotterley slave Plantation are taking credit when they deserve none.

Of course Sharon failed to include any link, so the Sotterley slave Plantation has the story way down on the lower right bottom of its website HERE, and then we have to download a temporary PDF with no URL, where again at the bottom of that PDF it declares that this is being done by the Boeing Corporation while Sotterley Plantation is just taking the cash and the credit from Boeing.

Their website puts the black guy way down on bottom, while the rest of their website is given to bragging about the racist white folk.

One of the many dastardly things which is NOT being said or told is that during the Civil War that same Sotterley Plantation kept hold of its slaves and not one slave was sent to fight for the USA from the Sotterley slave Plantation.

This action is about the Sotterley slave Plantation taking an undue credit today for a thing which they did NOT do at the time.

The Sotterley Plantation is an ugly white-racist monument which any decent white person needs to rightfully denounce.

:boxing:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Both Sharon and the Sotterley slave Plantation are taking credit when they deserve none.

Of course Sharon failed to include any link, so the Sotterley slave Plantation has the story way down on the lower right bottom of its website HERE, and then we have to download a temporary PDF with no URL, where again at the bottom of that PDF it declares that this is being done by the Boeing Corporation while Sotterley Plantation is just taking the cash and the credit from Boeing.

Their website puts the black guy way down on bottom, while the rest of their website is given to bragging about the racist white folk.

One of the many dastardly things which is NOT being said or told is that during the Civil War that same Sotterley Plantation kept hold of its slaves and not one slave was sent to fight for the USA from the Sotterley slave Plantation.

This action is about the Sotterley slave Plantation taking an undue credit today for a thing which they did NOT do at the time.

The Sotterley Plantation is an ugly white-racist monument which any decent white person needs to rightfully denounce.

Like it or not, JPC, it's part of history. You make it racist. You really should get over yourself and lose the act, you don't fool anyone and your days of running for any office are over, so it's not going to get you any votes.

JPCusick

My real name.
Repair.

Like it or not, JPC, it's part of history. You make it racist. You really should get over yourself and lose the act, you don't fool anyone and your days of running for any office are over, so it's not going to get you any votes.

You are correct that I am not running for office and I am not trying to get any votes.

This is a matter of right from wrong.

The Sotterley Plantation is a white-racist embarrassment, as it is an ugly part of our history which needs to be buried.

:barf:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
You are correct that I am not running for office and I am not trying to get any votes.

This is a matter of right from wrong.

The Sotterley Plantation is a white-racist embarrassment, as it is an ugly part of our history which needs to be buried.

:barf:

What other parts of history would you like to bury? Have you ever heard the phrase "we learn from our mistakes"? I figured you'd thrive on that phrase. You cannot bury history, only learn from it. I for one want my children to see how things were. I'll let them make the call of what was right or wrong.

JPCusick

My real name.
Repair.

So Jimmy..explain why it is that historians have always said that we must learn from history and not bury and/or forget it.

Learning from history does not mean preserving ignorant into the future.

Like executing criminals in that we put a dead end to them.

The Sotterley Plantation is trying to glamorize our white ignorance and white brutality and white folk need to bury our own sins and repent of our crimes against humanity.

Calling the Sotterley Plantation as "history" is just a fancy white lie.

:bigwhoop:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
So, if it's as easy as JPC says, and we can just erase history, can we erase the 4 years Obama was in office? That would be so awesome!

Seriously though, JPC is the biggest idiot and should be institutionalized for being a danger to society for his stupidity.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Told ya.

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
:killingme:killingme:killingme You have literally no clue how stupid what you just posted is..do you? :killingme:killingme:killingme

That is some really bad English there Gilligan. You don't end sentences with prepositions. * Grade school English * lol. But then again I suppose the actor Gilligan prolly talked like that.

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
Learning from history does not mean preserving ignorant into the future.

Like executing criminals in that we put a dead end to them.

The Sotterley Plantation is trying to glamorize our white ignorance and white brutality and white folk need to bury our own sins and repent of our crimes against humanity.

Calling the Sotterley Plantation as "history" is just a fancy white lie.

:bigwhoop:

I honestly know nothing about that plantation. but there are many plantations throughout the south that are preserved for their history. And of course you have all kinds of wealthy corporations funding them. I really don't see why anyone would be upset. I don't mean to start anything with you personally, but you seem more racist by your finger pointing statements. Perhaps I am reading them wrong, but it just comes off that way. I am curious, would it make a difference to you if the Colt corporation funded this? Or maybe the NAACP?