After all, he was the tax man!

seekeroftruth

Matthew 26:6 While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of Simon the Leper, 7 a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.
8 When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. “Why this waste?” they asked. 9 “This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.”
10 Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11 The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. 12 When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. 13 Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.
Well, it's a gospel so I guess Matthew, the tax collector, who penned this first Gospel, had to include the lady with the alabaster jar of perfume. After all, in verse 12, Jesus instructed Matthew to do so. Right?

Now through the years, I have learned the name of that woman is reported to have been Mary, but I don't see anything in these verses to prove that. Apparently, Mary was a common name in those days, as it is today. I'm living in a 55+ community and there are more women named Mary than there are all other names combined.

I've heard she was a whore, but I don't see anything in these verses to prove that. She had some very expensive perfume, and I figure the people who taught me she was a whore, weren't using these verses to do so. They might have been figuring she had to be a whore to own such expensive perfume. She didn't have to be a whore to get the perfume or the alabaster jar. She might have been one of the wives of a very, very, rich man. She didn't have to be a whore to have expensive perfume.

Another twist I heard; Judas was the only one that complained. It says in verse 8 that all the disciples were indignant. It says in verse 7 that Jesus was inclining at a table. They didn't sit at the table back then. They inclined. There were no chairs. So, maybe they were eating or having a meeting to discuss the next day's travel plans. If they were eating and the woman showed up with stinky perfume.... well, that would make any man complain... right? Maybe it was the stink of rich that had everyone complaining. After all, Jesus traveled without even a carry-on. Very, very, rich perfume can be downright stomach turning!

This is the story of the woman with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume.

She didn't consider the cost of the extravagance.

Matthew. the tax collector, noted the "expensive" perfume. This was not "wasted" on him. He knew the cost.... after all he was the tax man!

:coffee: