After approving the murder of babies, MD targets seniors...

Chris0nllyn

So, the government is telling you that they need to be involved and will tell you who must help you, and you accept that?

No one actually needs someone else involved. Whether the government thinks so or not.

All I was doing was answering your question with the factual reason why.

This_person

If one wants to follow the law, yes.

I agree be can, and do, off themselves without the doctor giving a thumbs up.
I have been under the impression that you are more like-minded with me that challenges to the existence of such laws is the problem which would generally lead to not arguing in favor of such laws.

Chris0nllyn

I have been under the impression that you are more like-minded with me that challenges to the existence of such laws is the problem which would generally lead to not arguing in favor of such laws.

This is where we disconnect.

Providing facts about a bill related to a thread someone else started is not "arguing in favor" of it.

This_person

I just know that I watched a very important person in my life waste away due to cancer. It was not a good experience and I feel like giving this option to people is much better than having them die slowly in hospice or worse, a hospital bed. If they so choose.

It feels like you’re doing more than answering questions about the law. It seems like you are advocating.

This_person

Me neither, my father decided when it was time for me to open that box of drugs in the refrigerator. It was available for months.

I missed this previously. I am very sorry you had to go through that, but glad for your father he had you to support him.

Chris0nllyn

It feels like you’re doing more than answering questions about the law. It seems like you are advocating.

I can agree with the premise without beingtied to the law in question.

I agree with the premise that people can choose to live and die. Can't get any more free than that. I agree that the drugs they give you in hospice can easily be taken in bulk and that'll be your last dose. I also agree that governmentwill always, always, find a way to screw up something that should be easy to implement. But maybe that's why I'm just a worker bee and not in Annapolis.

Another aspect people should worry about, or at least acknowledge, is life insurance. Unless there's a suicide clause, your family is getting jack crap.

This_person

I can agree with the premise without beingtied to the law in question.

I agree with the premise that people can choose to live and die. Can't get any more free than that. I agree that the drugs they give you in hospice can easily be taken in bulk and that'll be your last dose. I also agree that governmentwill always, always, find a way to screw up something that should be easy to implement. But maybe that's why I'm just a worker bee and not in Annapolis.

Another aspect people should worry about, or at least acknowledge, is life insurance. Unless there's a suicide clause, your family is getting jack crap.
People have the option to stop eating. People have the option to accidentally mix cleaning supplies and breathe in the fumes.

Laws that regulate citizens’ options are inherently bad.

Chris0nllyn

People have the option to stop eating. People have the option to accidentally mix cleaning supplies and breathe in the fumes.

Laws that regulate citizens’ options are inherently bad.

Apparently the state wants to give people another option. Take a few pills and go to sleep well before your body withers away from whatever disease it has. These other options talked about essentially have to happen once you;re on your death bed. I believe this law is intended to be an end of life option that exists before you start to lose your bodily functions or body decay.

It sounds like the state isn't regulating the options (as it's been pointed out, there are other options), but offering another.

Auntie Biache'

Stand by. You'll probably be paying for it.

“Proponents claim that this is an issue of personal choice and that those who object to assisted suicide don’t have to utilize it, but taxpayers will be forced to pay for it through NJ’s Medicaid program which is a state taxpayer funded program,” it said. “This means that all taxpayers will be complicit in funding state sanctioned physician assisted suicide if this bill becomes law.”

luvmygdaughters

I'm all for it. Why, if there is no possibility of cure, would you put such a burden and strain on your family? Its sad to think about losing a loved one regardless, but, to watch a person who may have been very healthy, active, vital, waste away from a terrible disease, that in all honesty, has already claimed the "life" of the person you once knew is heartbreaking. We don't allow our pets to suffer, why would we allow our loved ones to suffer.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Apparently the state wants to give people another option. Take a few pills and go to sleep well before your body withers away from whatever disease it has. These other options talked about essentially have to happen once you;re on your death bed. I believe this law is intended to be an end of life option that exists before you start to lose your bodily functions or body decay.

It sounds like the state isn't regulating the options (as it's been pointed out, there are other options), but offering another.
I wish I had kept the reference handy, but news out of the Netherlands (and maybe Belgium?; I can't remember) about physician-assisted suicide hasn't been as rosy as advocates would like to paint it.

According to this article (I believe it was quite well-sourced and "non-partisan," a journal article I'm thinking) the "take a few pills and go to sleep" doesn't always quite go as planned. What with people not dying (but becoming vegetables), people dying in a far more violent way than either the end-of-lifer and/or attending family members/friends were led to believe to expect, and "force suiciding" against the wishes of either (or both) the terminally ill and family....

Government gets involved..., could be great. But I'd watch my wallet (so to speak). Government is the ultimate master of over-promising and under-delivering. It's also great at sticking its nose in where there's "profit" to be made and often where it's not wanted.

--- End of line (MCP)

This_person

Again, given the number of physically healthy people who kill them selves every hour, I’d say there’s no need to wait until one is on their deathbed.

The implication of the government offering “another option” implies that it’s up to the government to give options, which has the obvious corollary that the government has the authority to take options away.

There’s no need for “another option”, and any credibility given to the concept of the government offering options is inherently problematic.

Auntie Biache'

I wish I had kept the reference handy, but news out of the Netherlands (and maybe Belgium?; I can't remember) about physician-assisted suicide hasn't been as rosy as advocates would like to paint it.

According to this article (I believe it was quite well-sourced and "non-partisan," a journal article I'm thinking) the "take a few pills and go to sleep" doesn't always quite go as planned. What with people not dying (but becoming vegetables), people dying in a far more violent way than either the end-of-lifer and/or attending family members/friends were led to believe to expect, and "force suiciding" against the wishes of either (or both) the terminally ill and family....

Government gets involved..., could be great. But I'd watch my wallet (so to speak). Government is the ultimate master of over-promising and under-delivering. It's also great at sticking its nose in where there's "profit" to be made and often where it's not wanted.

--- End of line (MCP)

I read that article.