AG SHAPIRO, GOV. WOLF: 80% RECEIVERS ARE FIREARMS

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A receiver, or frame, is the part of the firearm that houses the internal firing components. A gun cannot function without a receiver. A so-called “80% receiver” is one that is in an incomplete stage of manufacture; however, they can easily be turned into a functioning firearm. 80% receivers are commonly unserialized. Until this opinion, there was uncertainty over whether 80% receivers can be regulated the same way as fully finished receivers. This gap in enforcement made these weapons easily accessible to criminals and those prohibited from purchasing firearms in the Commonwealth, including convicted felons and domestic abusers.

“My Office is taking the initial step of clarifying – through my official, legal opinion – that under Pennsylvania law, 80% receivers are firearms and can be treated, regulated, and enforced as such,” AG Shapiro said today during a Capitol news conference with Governor Wolf and the PA State Police. “The proliferation of these untraceable weapons strikes at the heart of our public safety, hindering law enforcement’s ability to protect our communities. Today, we take the first step in addressing this problem.

I do not think one man's OPINION Makes good case law ........

Clem72

So this is a win, right? if it's NOT a firearm it should be trivially easy to ban them I would think (same as they can ban kinder eggs or pesticides or anything else that isn't a gun).

rmorse

So this is a win, right? if it's NOT a firearm it should be trivially easy to ban them I would think (same as they can ban kinder eggs or pesticides or anything else that isn't a gun).

No, the government can not just arbitrarily ban things on a whim.

limblips

PREMO Member
A few questions.

1. How many homicides are attributed to "ghost guns"?

2. How many felons, thugs, or domestic abusers are actually taking the time and expense of building a firearm from pieces?

3. Is it easier to steal or build a firearm?

As glhs837 said. "We keep tracking the thing that isn't the problem."

SamSpade

As glhs837 said. "We keep tracking the thing that isn't the problem."

And an honest look at the data shows that. Any BAN on firearms - if it is effective - should see an IMMEDIATE drop off in crime after the law takes effect.

But what we see is trend lines that don't - bump. Violent crime has been trending downward fairly steadily since the early 90's and if you include it - with occasional jumps - since the 70's. There's no correlation between new gun laws and lowering gun crime - with one exception.

Creating gun-free zones. Almost every large mass killing has happened in a gun-free zone. Even crazed lunatics know no one can shoot BACK, in those. These INCREASE crime.

Bare-ya-cuda

criminals grind serial numbers off the guns they have stolen and use in crimes

if you go by the lefts recent definition of a ghost gun as lacking a serial number to be traced, then you have all most every gun recovered from a crime to add to the statistics of ghost guns used in criminal acts.

Hijinx

If it's so easy to build a gun with these receivers I would like to see one delivered to AG Shapiro and watch him build one..
Admittedly I don't have much of a dog in this fight as if i had one of these receivers I would have no idea how to build a barrel ,a stock , or the other working mechanism's of this thing and I don't have the equipment or the desire to learn. I could maybe rip an old antennae off someone's classic car and build a workable zip gun, but that is about the limit of my expertise.

This seems to me to be a lot of noise over nothing. If i could build this gun I believe I could make most any semi automatic weapon into a fully automatic weapon. I would think that would be the easiest way to go for someone who wanted to become an assassin, but like I say that is above my pay grade.

Clem72

No, the government can not just arbitrarily ban things on a whim.

What a stupid thing to say, honestly. Exactly two types of laws exist, those that ban actions and those that ban things. Many on a "whim".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If it's so easy to build a gun with these receivers I would like to see one delivered to AG Shapiro and watch him build one..
Admittedly I don't have much of a dog in this fight as if i had one of these receivers I would have no idea how to build a barrel ,a stock , or the other working mechanism's of this thing and I don't have the equipment or the desire to learn. I could maybe rip an old antennae off someone's classic car and build a workable zip gun, but that is about the limit of my expertise.

This seems to me to be a lot of noise over nothing. If i could build this gun I believe I could make most any semi automatic weapon into a fully automatic weapon. I would think that would be the easiest way to go for someone who wanted to become an assassin, but like I say that is above my pay grade.
Finishing the 80% receivers can often be accomplished with crude methods and a couple basic power tools. A crude lower is the result. I've seen some real abortions but they did function. The "rest" of an AR-15 built on a lower (or the rest of other 80% builds) are simply bought as gun parts, ready to install on the receiver. Some early stages of a build are shown in the pic.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If i could build this gun I believe I could make most any semi automatic weapon into a fully automatic weapon.

Yet, remarkably few people ever do that. The FBI statistics show that fully automatic weapons are very, very rarely ever used in criminal activities. That should not be surprising, since long guns in general - all types and models - are not the criminal's firearm of choice. Handguns are..by far.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The FBI statistics show that fully automatic weapons are very, very rarely ever used in criminal activities.

Only ONE Legally Owned Class III weapon has been used in the past 50 yrs ... a .380 Mac 11 used by a cop

Any others were illegally converted to Full Auto

Handgun are still the weapon of Choice for Criminals .... more people are killed with hammers than ANY Rifle