Against Lie Inflation

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Some of you may have previously seen posts by the author, Scott Alexander, mentioned in a wide variety of posts by both conservatives and liberals, by economists and political science junkies, by..., well, you get it I suspect. He has a fairly large following and for good reason.

Anyway, this guy (Scott Alexander is not his real name; it's an anagram - as is his blog title) is a practicing psychiatrist in the San Francisco area. I started reading his blog a number of years back while he was still working through his residency in a psych program in Michigan.

He's an atheist, he's a fairly-left liberal, and as a result he and I would disagree on most things (outside of psychiatry). But's he also very interesting to read and full of insight (whether you agree with him or not). I read pretty much every post that comes out on this blog (he has others, I think, but I don't grok him that much!). I think his posts on psychiatry are gold, while his other, more political ones less so (that shouldn't be a surprise). Nevertheless, allow me to commend him to y'all. Here's his post from today (which is really good in so, so many ways). It's also long (his posts usually are). And the reading takes even longer because the comments (whether you agree or disagree) are also generally top-notch.

Maybe an acquired taste for some. But if he is to your liking, then worth bookmarking (IMHO). And honestly, he pretty much also "proves" the adage that one must be nuts oneself to be a mental health practitioner!

Enjoy.

Two snips:
My friend could have countered that this was a feature, not a bug. Standards have been (and should be) getting stricter. A thousand years ago, beating your wife wasn’t considered abuse as long as you didn’t maim her or something. A hundred years ago, you could bully and belittle someone all you wanted, but as long as there was no physical violence it wasn’t abuse. As society gets better and better at dealing with these issues, the definition of abuse gets broader. Maybe we should end up with a definition where basically everyone is an abuser.

But a wise supervillain once said, “When everyone is super, nobody is”. In the same way, when everyone is an abuser, nobody’s an abuser.

This is also my objection to broadening the meaning of “lie”.

The word “lie” is useful because some statements are lies and others aren’t. And although people may disagree on which statements are lies or not (Did OJ lie when he said he was innocent? opinions differ!) everyone agrees on a mapping between states-of-the-world and lie-vs-truth status. When I say “OJ lied”, everyone understands me as making a specific claim about the world, which they can either accept or reject. I don’t have a lot of leeway in how I use the word “lie”; if I’m calling you a liar, I’m making a specific claim about the world.

If “lie” expands to include biased or motivated reasoning, who’s going to throw the first stone? We’re probably all biased to some degree. Does that make us all liars? If everyone’s a liar, nobody is. I can accuse Donald Trump of lying constantly, and you can just nod your head and say “Oh, so you’re saying he’s not a perfect person free from all bias, whatever”. You’ll feel no need to decrease your opinion of him.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Since I spoke highly of Scott Alexander's psych posts I figured I'd add a link to his latest for anyone stopping by and might be interested (if one wants to get a feel for his writing in this area).

This post concerns "gabapentinoids" (the most commonly known being gabapentin (Neurontin) and pregabalin (Lyrica)):

--- End of line (MCP)