Agriculture Recommendations & Rules for Show Org.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Saw this in the March addition of the Equiery and was wondering if anyone had heard about this. Also how the shows will handle the paperwork??
:howdy:
Attention Competitors

You are now required by the State of Maryland, when competing or showing in Maryland, to have with you a “Self Certification” which states that, to the best of your knowledge, your horse is disease free. State regulators theorize that this will give them an additional tool if they have to track down the source of an infectious/contagious disease, and they hope that competitors will be compelled to comply because of the penalties associated with forging official documents.

News & Resources - The Equiery

quartermom

Low & Slow
Yes I saw it. You are suppose to have one filled out for every horse show. The State will have people at some shows to see if you the filed out. But the problem is they don't have enough employees to enforce it yet. So you will never know what shows or when someone will show up to check them. I heard they are mandatory at all 4-H show.. But I guess will see..

C

campinmutt

I figured have a bunch of copies in your trailer....fill it out as needed

fredsaid2

Why not require a current copy of innoculations paperwork instead?

I don't see anyone filling this form out NOT stating their horse is disease free, so what then is the point?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Wow, that's all rather ridiculous! I mean seriously a self-examination form from all competitors and a notice of intent to have a show from all show secretaries? The self-exam form also asks about a CVI. I don't have any vet certificate, other than coggins, unless I'm travelling out of state and then it's an interstate travel certificate. If I'm travelling out of the country then I have proper documentation for that to, but I'm sure as hell not getting any kind of vet document so that I can show here in MD and I'm very, very doubtful that any of the rather large shows that use the EQ center and are sanctioned by USDF, USEF, USHJA, etc. are going to enforce this.

Government is beyond silly.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Ah, the Vet Cert was not on the equine one. But, still. Also, coggins tests are silly too. They are good for the day the blood was drawn only! A horse could be infected with EIA as soon as blood is drawn, but the test is good for an entire year. I know it's more to show that the horse has been under vet care, but I've definately gotten coggins done by a vet other than my regular vet and they've not asked me about vaccs at all. :banghead:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Ah, the Vet Cert was not on the equine one. But, still. Also, coggins tests are silly too. They are good for the day the blood was drawn only! A horse could be infected with EIA as soon as blood is drawn, but the test is good for an entire year. I know it's more to show that the horse has been under vet care, but I've definately gotten coggins done by a vet other than my regular vet and they've not asked me about vaccs at all. :banghead:

Kinda feel like we are feeding someone elses Piggy Bank.:whistle:

fredsaid2

But what good would this do? Innoculations are not required by the state.

If the state wants a document to validate the health of an animal, a shot record is a better indicator than a form the owner completes themselves promising "yes, my horse is ok".

I thought in the past few years some shows required a Certificate of Health signed by a vet due to the viral outbreaks. I think that had to be w/i 30 days of an event.

I just don't see the purpose of the self-health document. Other than maybe to hold against the owner should the horse end up proving to be contagious.

DQ2B

If the state wants a document to validate the health of an animal, a shot record is a better indicator than a form the owner completes themselves promising "yes, my horse is ok".

I thought in the past few years some shows required a Certificate of Health signed by a vet due to the viral outbreaks. I think that had to be w/i 30 days of an event.

I just don't see the purpose of the self-health document. Other than maybe to hold against the owner should the horse end up proving to be contagious.

I understand your point but if the state did what you suggest, it would also mean (I'm guessing) that horse owners would then not be able to buy and do their own shots like myself as well as decide which vaccinations to give. I just don't see how this would work. I think a lot of owners would rebel against being told what vaccines and how often they have to give them.

GallopNTec

Saw this in the March addition of the Equiery and was wondering if anyone had heard about this. Also how the shows will handle the paperwork??
:howdy:
Attention Competitors

You are now required by the State of Maryland, when competing or showing in Maryland, to have with you a “Self Certification” which states that, to the best of your knowledge, your horse is disease free. State regulators theorize that this will give them an additional tool if they have to track down the source of an infectious/contagious disease, and they hope that competitors will be compelled to comply because of the penalties associated with forging official documents.

News & Resources - The Equiery
Big Brother is watching

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
I recieved this e-mailo today from someone inside the MD Dept. of Ag. Sounds like you don't need this form for venues like MSA, etc. that have horses only. However shows that have other livestock present (such as Charles County fair, etc.) need this form.

News Release from the Maryland Department of Agriculture
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Maryland Department of Agriculture Equine Fair and Show Policies
Announced

ANNAPOLIS, MD (March 12, 2009) - Exhibitors and organizers of horse
shows and other equine competitions in Maryland need to comply with
certain state animal health regulations (COMAR 15.11.12.01 forward) in
order to hold and attend equine events. The requirements are in place
to help ensure the health of animals at competitions and to prevent the
outbreak or spread of disease. This information clarifies details
posted on the Maryland Department of Agriculture's website at an earlier
date.

Requirements for Equine Show Exhibitors
*Coggins - Each exhibitor must have and present to show organizers a
current (within 12 months) and valid negative Coggins (equine infectious
anemia) certificate for each equine.
*Interstate CVI - Exhibitors originating from states bordering Maryland
(PA, DE, VA, WV, and to include New Jersey and the District of Columbia)
do not need an Interstate Health Certificate (CVI). All those coming
from other states must have an Interstate CVI signed by a veterinarian
prior to entering the state.
*Self-Certification of Equine Health Form - For 2009, a
Self-Certification of Equine Health Form is required for each equine
entering a fair/show-type event where multiple livestock species are
present. The form must be available for inspection if requested. Those
participating in equine-only shows and events are exempt from this
requirement; however, it is good practice to thoroughly double check the
health and skin condition of the animal before departing for the event.
The form provides an easy checklist to do this. It is available at
Animal Health Requirements for Admission to Maryland Fairs & Shows
Exhibitors may not bring an animal having apparent or known signs of a
contagious or infectious disease to a show.

Requirements for Equine Show Organizers
*Notice of Show - Horse show and event organizers must provide the
Maryland Department of Agriculture Animal Health Office with written
notice of the date, time and location of any exhibition at least 60 days
in advance of the event (50 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD 21401
or animalhealth@mda.state.md.us). Exceptions are provided for events
sponsored, sanctioned or otherwise approved by an association or other
umbrella organization that holds multiple exhibitions in a calendar year
or for events funded by the Maryland Fair and Show Board and for
exhibitions (COMAR 15.11.14.05). If unsure of whether this applies to a
particular event, contact MDA at 410-841-5810 for clarification.
*Rejection of Animals - Show organizers must exclude from the exhibition
premises any animal having apparent or known signs of a contagious or
infectious disease.
*Coggins - Show organizers must ascertain and be able to show upon
request that all equine at the show have a current (within 12 months)
and valid negative Coggins test. Collecting a copy of the official
report is good practice.
*Interstate CVI - It is not necessary for show officials to collect
Interstate Health Certificates (CVI).
*Self-Certification of Equine Health Form - While it is not required for
show organizers to collect these forms, exhibitors at fair/show type
events where multiple species of livestock are present must complete
them and have them available for inspection. It may be good practice to
start collecting a copy along with the Coggins report.

All forms and requirements for participation in Maryland fairs and shows
for equine and livestock species are available on line at
Animal Health Requirements for Admission to Maryland Fairs & Shows.

Eventer29

What about the idiots who couldnt tell a sick horse if it fell over dead on them. I dont se how some horse owner filling out a paper saying their horse is healthy In Their Oppinion is going to help anything.

I agree with tcf sounds like MSA and BEst and the other Horse only shows will be ok...guess it wouldnt hurt to have some copies of the papers in the trailer anyways.

devinej

from the email above:

"Those
participating in equine-only shows and events are exempt from this
requirement"

soooo we participate in equine-only shows right? so we don't have to do it?