ahaha looking for a horse is stressful...

jumpergirl976

god i hate finding a horse its to stressful i can bot find one good enough everybodys telling me you dont want this you dont want that ugh its annoying :/

Duckz

It takes awhile to find the right one. If someone tells you "you don't want this" or "you don't want that" about a horse, they're probably right :whistle:

Is your instructor helping you look?

At least you've got a good horse to ride while you look for your own :buddies:

jumpergirl976

yeah im on lucky now :) haha hes fun but we got some people helping us look some of my moms friends that know alot. but it is very stressful.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I commisserate with you. I'm in the market too. Going tomorrow to look at a 16.1+ hand registered spotted mountian horse. He is a 4 year old gelding and a beautiful coal black and white paint. I stopped by and looked at him with hubby but I wanted a pro along to really evaluate him before spending the $$$. Our local trainer whom hubby is taking lessons with is coming to to give him an official test drive. She told me flat out they are asking too much so I'm hoping she can drive a hard bargain for me. Fingers crossed, I really want a gaited horse to minimize stress on my bad back...

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I commisserate with you. I'm in the market too. Going tomorrow to look at a 16.1+ hand registered spotted mountian horse. He is a 4 year old gelding and a beautiful coal black and white paint. I stopped by and looked at him with hubby but I wanted a pro along to really evaluate him before spending the $$$. Our local trainer whom hubby is taking lessons with is coming to to give him an official test drive. She told me flat out they are asking too much so I'm hoping she can drive a hard bargain for me. Fingers crossed, I really want a gaited horse to minimize stress on my bad back...
Is this a Spotted SADDLE horse (colored walker)?
A 16.1h spotted MOUNTAIN horse would be an extremely unusual find. They just aren't that large. My biggest Rocky Mounain Horse mare is a bulky 15.2h. And she's not the norm.

Is your trainer well versed in the gaits it should do based on the breed, and how they feel? The registration/breed information is important for that reason alone. It will tell you what gait it should do. A spotted saddle horse's gaits will be the exact same as the Walker because it IS a walker, and may move side to side, causing stress on the knees because of the lateral movement.

I also find the mountain horses more sure footed on the trail, because they always have 3 feet on the ground at one time (the Rack), unlike a walker who is good on the flat, and at going fast. They move two feet on the same side at the same time, which makes them more stumbly on the trail. IMO. I've ridden roughly equal numbers of both breeds.

A Racking mountain horse will move slighlty back and forth like a gliding rocking chair, although some walkers/ssh's do Rack, they're not as easy to find. If it's an SSH, it may also be more forward than a Mountain horse, and will have a long stride, that won't match a QH, so you'll find yourself going out, and coming back to your riding companions because your horse is more forward. A mountain horse can walk with a QH and Rack to keep up with the walkers.

Regarding price, a good horse is a good horse, and will be priced as such. Just because the overall market is down, don't assume an owner should lower their price. A good racking horse is worth it's weight in gold. JMHO....
PS I have an AWESOME, sweet 15.2h black Mountain horse for sale. 3,500. :whistle:
This guy is stunning. It's the way they carry themselves that makes them so gorgeous. Not the color.

Attachments

• stridor_20111.jpg
    stridor_20111.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 113
  • stridor_20122.jpg
    stridor_20122.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I may know of a nice 2 y/o TB gelding and rideable chunky QH mare in need of a home.

Last edited:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Is this a Spotted SADDLE horse (colored walker)?
A 16.1h spotted MOUNTAIN horse would be an extremely unusual find. They just aren't that large. My biggest Rocky Mounain Horse mare is a bulky 15.2h. And she's not the norm.

Is your trainer well versed in the gaits it should do based on the breed, and how they feel? The registration/breed information is important for that reason alone. It will tell you what gait it should do. A spotted saddle horse's gaits will be the exact same as the Walker because it IS a walker, and may move side to side, causing stress on the knees because of the lateral movement.

I also find the mountain horses more sure footed on the trail, because they always have 3 feet on the ground at one time (the Rack), unlike a walker who is good on the flat, and at going fast. They move two feet on the same side at the same time, which makes them more stumbly on the trail. IMO. I've ridden roughly equal numbers of both breeds.

A Racking mountain horse will move slighlty back and forth like a gliding rocking chair, although some walkers/ssh's do Rack, they're not as easy to find. If it's an SSH, it may also be more forward than a Mountain horse, and will have a long stride, that won't match a QH, so you'll find yourself going out, and coming back to your riding companions because your horse is more forward. A mountain horse can walk with a QH and Rack to keep up with the walkers.

Regarding price, a good horse is a good horse, and will be priced as such. Just because the overall market is down, don't assume an owner should lower their price. A good racking horse is worth it's weight in gold. JMHO....
PS I have an AWESOME, sweet 15.2h black Mountain horse for sale. 3,500. :whistle:
This guy is stunning. It's the way they carry themselves that makes them so gorgeous. Not the color.

Oops, you're right. He was a spotted saddle horse. Trainer was unimpressed with his conformation, lack of training, and asking price of $3500 which the owner wouldn't budge on. She also noted he had a mass or swelling on his lower right rear fetlock joint she felt it was an abcess of some sort but advised to get a vet out to check it out. The current owner couldn't get him into anything that looked gaited pace to either of us.

I liked him for his enourmous size, color, and sweet lazy slow disposition. A big sweetie who seems to really like the company of people. I took the trainers advice and passed on him though. He was only 4 and pretty green still and I'm really just looking for an attractive safe trail horse. Down here in Texas nice looking well trained horses are for sale all over right now. Gotta keep looking I guess.... sigh... Thanks for the info.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Oops, you're right. He was a spotted saddle horse. Trainer was unimpressed with his conformation, lack of training, and asking price of $3500 which the owner wouldn't budge on. She also noted he had a mass or swelling on his lower right rear fetlock joint she felt it was an abcess of some sort but advised to get a vet out to check it out. The current owner couldn't get him into anything that looked gaited pace to either of us.

I liked him for his enourmous size, color, and sweet lazy slow disposition. A big sweetie who seems to really like the company of people. I took the trainers advice and passed on him though. He was only 4 and pretty green still and I'm really just looking for an attractive safe trail horse. Down here in Texas nice looking well trained horses are for sale all over right now. Gotta keep looking I guess.... sigh... Thanks for the info.
A green 4 y/o isn't a bad thing, he's a baby, and being so large, that's a good thing that he's green, IMO. That's also quite young to be fully developed in gait for something so large. It's difficult for some gaited horses (especially large ones not finished growing) to figure out the mechanics of the getting and keeping that smoothest gear with weight on their backs. And if the rider doesn't know how to ask for the gait at all, that's even worse. Does your trainer know how to ask for gait? Or ride it? What was the tack on the horse? The type of bit? Did the trainer ask the owner/trainer to ride the horse so he/she could see him move from the ground?? There are MANY variables in the equasion.

Opinion on price is a personal thing. I think it's a very reasonable price for an attractive SSH, who is well marked, friendly, calm and so large. His ultimate ability to maintain a smooth gait under saddle is based on his pedigree, structure and training/conditioning.

You're best bet, since it sounds like you haven't even ridden a solid gaiting horse of any breed, would be to RIDE some gaited horses (NOT necessarily ones who are for sale, just nicely gaited horses) so you become familiar with the feel of the different gaits, then have him or any horse you are considering, evaluated by someone well versed in Walkers (or the breed you are looking at) If you don't it's not fair to the horse, or you. Again, that's my opinion. And a free one at that. :biggrin:

You're in Texas? :shocking: OOPS I assumed you were relatively local to me. Guess i could have read the line under your Av.

I can make some inquiries for you on horses in your area, if you'd like. I have lots of gaited horse contacts across the country.

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
god i hate finding a horse its to stressful i can bot find one good enough everybodys telling me you dont want this you dont want that ugh its annoying :/
I know someone in MD, but near PA who has a gorgeous 10(?) y/o 16h TB mare (jumping at 3+'), she needs to sell. I believe her owner works/trains at the Olympic level, with many top folks, and you can get this mare for a song. Another friend who is currently riding that mare to keep her excercised, has a rescue TB gelding, 16.1+H who may also work for you. PM me and i'll give you her number.

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
There may have been a thread already on this, and I may have already asked, but what're you looking for?

jumpergirl976

im looking for a horse around 15.3 or bigger thats not too green but not like push botton either and that goes english and can jump up to at least 2'6

jumpergirl976

yeah but idk if i want him or not i mean he is really green hes on a month trail right now were gonna have someone ride him for me o see how he moves and everything but idk he is really green and idk if i want that or not

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Rebel is 19, but looks like 10 and is very toned and athletic. he is a great trail horse and will do anything. No health (never has had) problems. Sound. 16.2hh. Had did some basic english hunter-jumper competition a few years ago but really is a trail horse. I'm asking $1,000. His registered name is Rebs Master Dee. You can find his pedigree on line (Rebel Rocket, Sonny Dee Bar, Man 'o War). Contact Mike Powell waterfall57@cox.net

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I have a 16.1 QH gelding. I've jumped him over a single fence up to 3ft very willing. He's in the Classifieds. I don't have time to finish him off. Very willing to learn and please you. Goes either AQHA pleasure or hunter. Much happier with a hunter head and I wanna go AQHA. PM or email and we can talk

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Rebel is 19, but looks like 10 and is very toned and athletic. he is a great trail horse and will do anything. No health (never has had) problems. Sound. 16.2hh. Had did some basic english hunter-jumper competition a few years ago but really is a trail horse. I'm asking $1,000. His registered name is Rebs Master Dee. You can find his pedigree on line (Rebel Rocket, Sonny Dee Bar, Man 'o War). Contact Mike Powell waterfall57@cox.net

Hey Happy. Here is Onie these days. Isn't he just sooooo handsome. 17.2 biggin.

Attachments

• Onie.JPG
    Onie.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 97

Cowgirl

im looking for a horse around 15.3 or bigger thats not too green but not like push botton either and that goes english and can jump up to at least 2'6

My friend has the perfect horse for you! He's a 16.2 TB, 17 yrs old. He has been consistently jumping 2'9". He does not act 17 at all, has TONS of miles left. He's not push button, he knows his stuff, you just have to know how to ask him. I definitely think you should go look at him. Here's his ad, and he's in Burtonsville. She says price is negotiable.