AI Finds Minorities to be Most Racist

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Vox Blames the AI

The algorithms that detect hate speech online are biased against black people

But two new studies show that AI trained to identify hate speech may actually end up amplifying racial bias. In one study, researchers found that leading AI models for processing hate speech were one-and-a-half times more likely to flag tweets as offensive or hateful when they were written by African Americans, and 2.2 times more likely to flag tweets written in African American English (which is commonly spoken by black people in the US). Another study found similar widespread evidence of racial bias against black speech in five widely used academic data sets for studying hate speech that totaled around 155,800 Twitter posts.

This is in large part because what is considered offensive depends on social context. Terms that are slurs when used in some settings — like the “n-word” or “queer” — may not be in others. But algorithms — and content moderators who grade the test data that teaches these algorithms how to do their job — don’t usually know the context of the comments they’re reviewing.

Both papers, presented at a recent prestigious annual conference for computational linguistics, show how natural language processing AI — which is often proposed as a tool to objectively identify offensive language — can amplify the same biases that human beings have. They also prove how the test data that feeds these algorithms have baked-in bias from the start.

No one knows for sure if the content moderation systems that Facebook, Twitter, and Google use show exactly the same biases in these studies; the technology these companies use to moderate content is proprietary. But the tech giants often turn to academics for guidance on how to better enforce standards around hate speech. So, if top researchers are finding flaws in widely used academic data sets, that presents a significant problem for the tech industry at large.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A quick roll across Twitter would confirm that. Leftists and Trump haters are not only raging racists, but they attack women with ugliness as well.

SamSpade

Haven't delved deep into this because - well honestly, it's not that important to me - so I will just offer my conjecture --

African Americans frequently use the n-word and other racial epithets when communicating with one another. Ditto for LGBTQ persons, who often use derogatory terms to one another, but find it offensive when someone ELSE uses it.

It doesn't seem to know if the content is malicious or if it's just banter - so there's that. The "study" may prove to be meaningless.

But the other is that racial minoriities don't suffer any social blowback by using racial slurs of any kind to anyone. That's largely because of the common idea now that unless you're white, you can't be racist. Being openly bigoted towards another race when you're not white doesn't cost anything.

PLEASE don't waste bandwidth saying they CAN be racxist by citing multiple cases of obvious bigotry - I KNOW that. The folks who say non-whites can't be racist define it as much more than just bigoted behavior or prejudicial attitudes. A Native American might be bigoted against white people, but under almost any circumstance - he really can't do anything about it.

SamSpade

A quick roll across Twitter would confirm that. Leftists and Trump haters are not only raging racists, but they attack women with ugliness as well.

THAT never surprises me. The Left always claims to support women - unless they're conservative. They they'll attack anything they do, their appearance and if they're making an accusation against a leftie leader - their credibility among OTHER things.

Remember Michael Steele and the Oreo incident? Yeah - it's ok to be BLATANTLY racist if the person is Republican.

If you once donned blackface in your youth - if you're a Democrat, it gets a pass - if you're anything else, you lose your job - or worse.

We have a Democratic candidate saying that poor kids are just as smart as white kids - revealing his racism that minorities are all poor (not only are they not - while they have a higher poverty incidence, the overwhelming majority are NOT poor). We have white Democrats with savior complexes - because they believe the minorities are helpless and inferior -making cases like voter ID is "racist" - and blacks being interviewed saying the hell it is, you think I'm too stupid to get my own damned ID? I'm an attorney/engineer/doctor for Pete's sake.