Air compressor for home garage?

PSrada

We are planning to buy an air compressor for our new garage. We don't have any idea about what would be the best option for a newly created garage. Looking for your suggestions if anyone used.
We love to spend no more than $600, so try to keep that in mind when making suggestions.

black dog

Free America
Buy the largest piston cubic foot per minute compressor you can find within your budget

My honest suggestion would be, if its going to be used to figure out how many cubic feet at a certian pressure you need to run the needs of the equipment you want to run.
Then go to Tractor Supply and buy or order the Ingersol Rand commpressor that fit's your needs.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
We are planning to buy an air compressor for our new garage. We don't have any idea about what would be the best option for a newly created garage. Looking for your suggestions if anyone used.
We love to spend no more than $600, so try to keep that in mind when making suggestions.
Well, what are you going to be doing with it? Filling tires occasionally? LPHV spray painting? Full garage workshop with lift? Lots of variants in between.... Figure out what your worst case usage would be in terms of cubic feet per minute, and then you can compare.

black dog

Free America
Well, what are you going to be doing with it? Filling tires occasionally? LPHV spray painting? Full garage workshop with lift? Lots of variants in between.... Figure out what your worst case usage would be in terms of cubic feet per minute, and then you can compare.

CFPM plus at what Pressure... Big difference for 7 cfm at 40psi and at 75psi

There has a lot of air compressors for homes/garages out there in the market like Craftsman, Dewalt, Kensun etc. I hope this article will help you choose the better one from them. Personally i like the Dewalt air compressor.

PeoplesElbow

All depends what you do with it. For years I got by with a one gallon hot dog. Now I have a 60 gallon that was my dad's.

Also depends on what electric supply you have.

limblips

PREMO Member
The only advice I can give you is after having bought three, a bigger one each time, determine what you need and multiply that by at least 1.5! It seems once you have one the more uses you find for it.

Clem72

I have a secondary suggestion. Buy two. You can get a big noisy one for when you want to spray paint the car, and a quiet/portable one for doing normal tasks like using a brad nailer for woodworking or running an angle grinder.

I have a 5 gallon compressor from California Air Tools that is practically silent. I use it in the basement and my family never even knows it's running.