Air Force amputee returns to flight status

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
web_040708-F-0000S-001.jpg

ANDREWS AIR FORCE BASE, Md. -- Lt. Col. Andrew Lourake sits in an Air Force C-20 here. Colonel Lourake underwent an above-the-knee amputation in June 2002. He was medically cleared June 18 to return to flying status and is waiting to attend formal training to get requalified to fly. (U.S. Air Force photo by Bobby Jones)

dustin

UAIOE
“Americans would be surprised to learn that a grievous injury, such as the loss of a limb, no longer means forced discharge,” President George W. Bush said. “In other words, the medical care is so good, and the recovery process is so technologically advanced that people are no longer forced out of the military.”

To my understanding, recovery rates have been for amputees since WWI.

And if the medical facilities were so wonderful how come he got the infection in the first place :shrug:

Colonel Lourake’s tenure as a pilot ended Oct. 31, 1998, when the throttle on his motocross bike got stuck, and his bike was thrown on top of him, fracturing his left leg.

While in the hospital, he caught a hospital-borne staph infection, which eventually seeped into the bone. During the next three and a half year’s, Colonel Lourake received 18 surgeries to repair his infected leg; however, nothing could stop the pain, and his leg was fused straight with a steel rod.

Regardless, :cheers: to him for sticking with it against the odds of the skeptics and naysayers. :yay:

Last edited:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by dustin
I just noticed he kinda looks like Steve...minus the leg...
Might be him. :shrug: Maybe he had a little wood-chipper incident of his own. :wink:

ylexot

Super Genius
To my understanding, recovery rates have been for amputees since WWI.
:confused: Your point? Or is that just an FYI?

And if the medical facilities were so wonderful how come he got the infection in the first place :shrug:
Infections happen at hospitals sometimes. That doesn't mean that the hospital was bad in some way.

Regardless, :cheers: to him for sticking with it against the odds of the skeptics and naysayers. :yay:
There were skeptics and naysayers? The article didn't mention any. In fact, “I’ve had a huge amount of support from my commanders, squadron members and doctors,” he said. “I didn’t get to this point without the team effort. To me, this whole experience solidifies the Air Force is one big family.”

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
:clap: :clap: for him...
Either he really needed a job, or he's a true Patriot. Either way... it's a great story. :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
This guy is a wonderful person. Someone that works at Walter Reed contacted him, and he and his wife came to visit my brother. It really gave him faith that anything is possible, and his injury is not going to hold him back. Kudos to Andrew. :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Nickel said:
This guy is a wonderful person. Someone that works at Walter Reed contacted him, and he and his wife came to visit my brother. It really gave him faith that anything is possible, and his injury is not going to hold him back. Kudos to Andrew. :yay:
Scratch that, I just talked to my mom. He wasn't contacted by Walter Reed, he heard through the grapevine about his accident and injuries, and took it upon himself to visit.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Nickel said:
Scratch that, I just talked to my mom. He wasn't contacted by Walter Reed, he heard through the grapevine about his accident and injuries, and took it upon himself to visit.
WOW! He's even greater than anyone could have imagined! That is too cool!

If I weren't a "manly man" type, I might have to admit it brought a tear to my eye.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
MMDad said:
WOW! He's even greater than anyone could have imagined! That is too cool!

If I weren't a "manly man" type, I might have to admit it brought a tear to my eye.
I'm not afraid to admit it.

That is great Nickel. This guy is awesome.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
2ndAmendment said:
I'm not afraid to admit it.

That is great Nickel. This guy is awesome.
What impresses me even more is that he just walked in, and said "Hi, I'm Andrew". Just one normal guy talking to another normal guy, without the military fanfare (not that there would be anything wrong with that). My mom just watched a special about him on the Discovery Health channel the night before, and recognized him.