Aircraft carrier captain removed from duty after pleading for help with coronavirus outbreak

awpitt

Main Streeter
Yeah, notifying your chain of command is not the same as alerting the press. I'm pretty sure the media vultures aren't supposed to be part of that.

I haven't seen anything that confirmed that he (the CO) actually leaked it to the press. Even the Acting SecNAV didn't say the CO leaked it to the press. The issue was that the CO sent the email on the UNCLASS email system to a wide distro which made it more likely to be leaked.

This sort of reminds me of the movie Behind Enemy Lines where Gene Hackman is an Admiral and gets relieved of his command for executing a rescue mission that the higher ups said not to.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This sort of reminds me of the movie Behind Enemy Lines where Gene Hackman is an Admiral and gets relieved of his command for executing a rescue mission that the higher ups said not to.

Yeah, I'm not reminded of that at all.

You just like this guy because he gave the media ammo to try and make Trump look bad. Admit it.

WingsOfGold

I haven't seen anything that confirmed that he (the CO) actually leaked it to the press. Even the Acting SecNAV didn't say the CO leaked it to the press. The issue was that the CO sent the email on the UNCLASS email system to a wide distro which made it more likely to be leaked.

Not the way I remember it, he wasn't relieved but overrode by NATO commander. Then again I haven't seen it for 15 years.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Not the way I remember it, he wasn't relieved but overrode by NATO commander. Then again I haven't seen it for 15 years.

Actually, Gene Hackman's character was relieved and retired. The last scene, in the movie is of him leaving. Walking across the flight deck. Prior to that, the NATO commander said for Hackman not to rescue Owen Wilson. Something about jeopardizing some peace talks and exposing the mass graves. But Hackman executed the rescue anyway and got relieved.

WingsOfGold

Actually, Gene Hackman's character was relieved and retired. The last scene, in the movie is of him leaving. Walking across the flight deck. Prior to that, the NATO commander said for Hackman not to rescue Owen Wilson. Something about jeopardizing some peace talks and exposing the mass graves. But Hackman executed the rescue anyway and got relieved.
Could be, don't remember it was a long time ago. Either way Milo was right and Clinton had no business in interfering in Yugo's civil war.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Just been announced that Crozier has tested positive for COVID-19.
I bet it's BS propaganda. What about HIPAA laws? :) Actually, I'm sure only a swab test was taken indicating the presence of antibodies related to a coronavirus, and not a RNA gene sequencing test. And, that he is only asymptomatic.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Being liked by your crew is a big plus but it does not define total leadership in the Navy. Adherence to established rules and protocols is part of the leadership package. He was missing that part.
I disagree. I think he made a good call to try and prevent the virus from spreading. By containing the situation he improves force readinesss.
They can put back to sea with a healthy crew after cleaning the ship. Doesn't do much good if you crew is sick.
I'm sure the officers were fine, the higher grades have the room to practice social distancing and to isolate those infected.
Enlisted crew, particularly the junior seaman are in tight quarters, the virus would run through that crew rapidly.

WingsOfGold

You're assuming he didn't know better..

Maybe he knew EXACTLY what he was doing, and was depending on what he knew the outcome was going to be.
Throw his career and command away, I doubt that was in mind...... then again...

WingsOfGold

It was a foreign NATO guy. He tried once and was denied and said F it and did it the 2nd.
I guess times have changed but I remember only US Commanding NATO. Maybe there were oothers but I dont remember. I can't imagine a 3rd world military like Spain at the helm. One of the best tits job I ever had was hauling the Vice Commander of NATO around from base to base for about a week. Picked him up at his nicely VIPed VC10 aircraft in Norfolk I think it was, returned him following week. Nice old guy, gave us all a Zippo with his name rank and position on it. Got some great liberty RON's.

herb749

I guess times have changed but I remember only US Commanding NATO. Maybe there were oothers but I dont remember. I can't imagine a 3rd world military like Spain at the helm. One of the best tits job I ever had was hauling the Vice Commander of NATO around from base to base for about a week. Picked him up at his nicely VIPed VC10 aircraft in Norfolk I think it was, returned him following week. Nice old guy, gave us all a Zippo with his name rank and position on it. Got some great liberty RON's.

It was a movie, so they made the NATO guy the bad one for not allowing the rescue.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
One of the best tits job I ever had was hauling the Vice Commander of NATO around from base to base for about a week. Picked him up at his nicely VIPed VC10 aircraft in Norfolk I think it was, returned him following week. Nice old guy, gave us all a Zippo with his name rank and position on it. Got some great liberty RON's.
I did this for 6 years. Someone had to do it. It might as well have been me was my thinking. Great trips and fantastic per diem. I did 2 around the world flights. P-3s, C-9s, T-39s and my favorite ride the C-20 Gulfstream IV.

WingsOfGold

I did this for 6 years. Someone had to do it. It might as well have been me was my thinking. Great trips and fantastic per diem. I did 2 around the world flights. P-3s, C-9s, T-39s and my favorite ride the C-20 Gulfstream IV.
I might have liked Gulfstreams but I DETESTED C9's. A bunch of assshole primadonnas that were too special to wipe birdshit off the airstairs. They would rather write a gripe on it instead. :rolleyes: Caught a hop on a AF T39, was shocked to see we were at like 43,000'! That's up there! I still like my lower and slower C118's (good RON's) and especially turbo Convairs, I LOVED that bird, in the air and on the ground. I wished at one time (rumor control) C130's in West Virginie, that would be a deal. :bann:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Inside the C-20
Fore

Aft

Galley