Airport shuttle

BernieP

Resident PIA
https://somdexpress.com

I don't see IAD (Dulles) listed on their site

SME owners identified a significant need to provide a shuttling services that would help reduce the stress of individuals traveling to and from airports who resided on the outskirts and rural areas of Baltimore and Washington DC.

Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) is approx. 85 miles and Ronald Reagan National (DCA) Airport is roughly 65 miles away.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This is who we use, their service is excellent and prices worth it to me. Don't know about Dulles have done Reagan and BWI.
Do you always share the ride or go alone? How is their pricing to BWI or IAD? MASS shuttle prices have gotten quite high....so high that we're paying POV mileage and long-term AP parking for periods of up to 3 weeks, since that's cheaper than MASS round trip.

BernieP

Resident PIA
75$ one way to BWI or Reagan, might be shared or not at most one other person the 4 time we have used them.
Depending on how many days you are going, that could cover parking. Mileage, based on the government rate would be covered by the other direction. I'd say it's a wash, financially, But you don't have to wait for the bus and spend time looking for a spot.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Now that Reagan long-term parking has doubled compared to BWI and IAD, that factors pretty heavily in to our "drive versus hire" decisions.
Government says I'm supposed to use "long term" parking. I say, if the weather is nasty, they can go F themselves. I'll use the garage and pay the difference. With the government it's DTS and also the program. Some allow use of POV, others require you to use rentals.
Because using a rental often requires someone to take you to the rental agency the business day prior to your departure and someone to be available to pick you up at said rental agency on your return - I prefer POV and parking. Would most certainly opt for a shuttle if it was allowable and met my flight times.

I often complain about this, but I just realized the government drives the market. If government and / or contractor support are not permitted to use the shuttle service over POV or rentals, it eliminates, at least in St. Mary's, a healthy amount of the business.

Erk

I prefer POV and parking. Would most certainly opt for a shuttle if it was allowable and met my flight times.

I usually POV as well, the downside being if you get crunched, it's your problem, the mileage you get includes your insurance slice. Crunched rental cars are the Gov's problem (unless you are drunk or committing a felony). Still, being single, it's a huge hassle to get to and from the rental places, so I normally just drag noble steed up and back.

glhs837

Power with Control
I jut wish the airport garages would set aside some nooks and crannies for motorcycles :) I'll still use a ful spot and pay the freight, but I wouldnt mind a smaller spot and a lesser charge.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I usually POV as well, the downside being if you get crunched, it's your problem, the mileage you get includes your insurance slice. Crunched rental cars are the Gov's problem (unless you are drunk or committing a felony). Still, being single, it's a huge hassle to get to and from the rental places, so I normally just drag noble steed up and back.
We had this debate years ago and the math shows that if you have a new car, the government rate is not high enough to cover the additional depreciation - you are losing money taking your vehicle. But if it's an older car, you could be on the plus side depending on mileage (MPG).
But it does come down to convenience, you are stuck look for a ride to/from the rental place and their hours are decidedly not 24/7 :)
They must make good money on the government because you end up paying for extra days because they close early and aren't open on weekends (or at least Sunday).

ms23699

We ended up using MASS. I was in bind with me going on business travel and the wife's international flight delay. I looked at Uber, 160-200 for a sub-compact from IAD to California MD, without tip. MASS was 180.00 including tip.
My business travel is increasing to 40% now, I am now evaluating POV vs Rental vs Shuttle and what GOVT travel allows.
I don't want to put miles on my POV.
Rental is no burden for my Insurance. But time is a concern along with secure parking in SOMD at the rental companies. You have to park your POV in a sketchy gravel parking lot with no security. You need to account for at least 30-45 min for return/pick-up in SOMD and WAS area airports.
Shuttle service prices vary.