Al Davis Dies

Rommey

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - Al Davis, the Hall of Fame owner of the Oakland Raiders known for his rebellious spirit, has died.
The team said the 82-year-old died at his home in Oakland on Saturday morning.
It was Davis' willingness to buck the establishment that helped turn the NFL into THE establishment in sports - the most successful sports league in American history.
Davis was charming, cantankerous and compassionate - a man who when his wife suffered a serious heart attack in the 1970s moved into her hospital room. But he was best known as a rebel, a man who established a team whose silver-and-black colors and pirate logo symbolized his attitude toward authority, both on the field and off.
Davis was one of the most important figures in NFL history. That was most evident during the 1980s when he fought in court - and won - for the right to move his team from Oakland to Los Angeles. Even after he moved them back to the Bay Area in 1995, he went to court, suing for $1.2 billion to establish that he still owned the rights to the L.A. market.

link

Rael

Supper's Ready
I know he'll be remembered more by some for his contrarian style and legal battles, but I'll remember him for building the bad ass Raiders in his "just win, baby" mentality. The Raiders (in their prime) were some of the most entertaining games we watched growing up.

I remember my brothers and I rallying around our Dad to watch the Raiders in the late game (even though we were Giants fans) because the Raiders always had exciting games. And I credit Al Davis for bringing this Raiders into my world and helping me grow into being an NFL football fan.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I've been a Raiders fan since the '60's but it was cemented during "the game" when George Blanda came in as QB and brought them back from a defecit to tie and then he kicked the winning FG. WOW! They were the winningest team in football for a long time:

IMO they died after the "tuck rule" call in 2002(?) against NE. I'm a closet Raiders fan right now but w/o Al, there might be some hope for the old silver & black to come back...:yahoo:

Last edited: