Al-Sadr threatens to end cease-fire

R

RadioPatrol

:coffee:

I wish we could have capped this prick, instead of continuing to let him run around, after he had several rival clerics murdered

Al-Sadr threatens to end cease-fire - Yahoo! News

"Al-Sayyid Muqtada al-Sadr's cease-fire has been helpful in reducing violence and has led to improved security in Iraq. We would welcome the extension of the cease-fire as a positive step," he said, using an honorific reserved for senior clerics.

While the U.S. has welcomed the cease-fire, it also has insisted on continuing to stage raids against what it calls Iranian-backed breakaway factions of the Mahdi Army militia — moved that have angered the cleric's followers.

Influential members of al-Sadr's movement said earlier this month they had urged the radical cleric to call off the cease-fire, which was initially set to expire at the end of the month.

Al-Sadr's followers have claimed the U.S.-Iraqi raids, particularly in the southern Shiite cities of Diwaniyah, Basra and Karbala, are a pretext to crack down on the wider movement, which has pulled its support for the Washington-backed government.

No one has claimed responsibility for Tuesday's rocket attack, the second in as many days, but in both cases the explosives apparently were launched from Shiite militia strongholds in the capital, underscoring the fragility of the truce.

edinsomd

Of course he'll lead from the front! Bring up the minstrel:

Minstrel: [singing] Bravely bold al Sadr rode forth from Karbala.
He was not afraid to die, oh brave al Sadr.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways, brave, brave, brave, brave al Sadr.

al Sadr: *That's, uh, that's enough music for now, lads... looks like there's dirty work afoot. *

Minstrel: [singing] Brave al Sadr ran away...
al Sadr: *No!*
Minstrel [singing] Bravely ran away away...
Al Sader *I didn't!*
Minstrel [singing] When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled.
Al Sadr *I never did!*
Minstrel Minstrel [singing] Yes, brave al Sadr turned about, and valiantly, he chickened out.
Al Sadr *Oh, you liars!*
Minstrel [singing] Bravely taking to his feet, he beat a very brave retreat. A brave retreat by brave al Sadr…
Ed:lmao: