Alabama TV Station refuses to air cartoon over Gay marriage

Sapidus

Making sure we don't forget that it is the 50th state in education and the stupidest state by far Alabama has decided to ban a children's cartoon featuring a same sex marriage.

Director Mike Mckenzie defended the move to AL.com in a statement, saying, "Parents have trusted Alabama Public Television for more than 50 years to provide children’s programs that entertain, educate and inspire."
“More importantly — although we strongly encourage parents to watch television with their children and talk about what they have learned afterwards — parents trust that their children can watch APT without their supervision," Mckenzie said. "We also know that children who are younger than the ‘target’ audience for Arthur also watch the program.”

This_person

Making sure we don't forget that it is the 50th state in education and the stupidest state by far Alabama has decided to ban a children's cartoon featuring a same sex marriage.

Director Mike Mckenzie defended the move to AL.com in a statement, saying, "Parents have trusted Alabama Public Television for more than 50 years to provide children’s programs that entertain, educate and inspire."
“More importantly — although we strongly encourage parents to watch television with their children and talk about what they have learned afterwards — parents trust that their children can watch APT without their supervision," Mckenzie said. "We also know that children who are younger than the ‘target’ audience for Arthur also watch the program.”
You sound rather intolerant of other people having a different view of how things should be taught to children.

Why are you so intolerant instead of applauding these people for exercising their beliefs?

Sapidus

You sound rather intolerant of other people having a different view of how things should be taught to children.

Why are you so intolerant instead of applauding these people for exercising their beliefs?

How about this headline?

Us government refuses to allow children under 18 into churches, mosques and synagogue for fear of indoctrination.

This TV station is censoring what it shows they are not allowing people to decide what to show their children they are banning something dodo

This_person

How about this headline?

Us government refuses to allow children under 18 into churches, mosques and synagogue for fear of indoctrination.

That would be a violation of the first amendment, equally true if it said, "US government mandates children go to religious institutions". Interesting discussion, but meaningless in this subject.

This TV station is censoring what it shows they are not allowing people to decide what to show their children they are banning something dodo

Private organizations can censor anything they want. There's no government mandate to censor, thus they are simply exercising their right to make a choice. Aren't you pro-choice? Do you think that Alyssa Milano should be required to work in GA instead of censoring that state from herself because she disagrees with their politics?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Making sure we don't forget that it is the 50th state in education and the stupidest state by far Alabama

Be careful your Yankee Morally Superior Elitism is showing such intolerance for the less educated

You are comparing Apples and Cauliflower

Sapidus

That would be a violation of the first amendment, equally true if it said, "US government mandates children go to religious institutions". Interesting discussion, but meaningless in this subject.

Private organizations can censor anything they want. There's no government mandate to censor, thus they are simply exercising their right to make a choice. Aren't you pro-choice? Do you think that Alyssa Milano should be required to work in GA instead of censoring that state from herself because she disagrees with their politics?

These people have the right to exercise their beliefs when it comes to themselves and minor children. They don't have the right to impose those beliefs on others. its really simple.

Remember when you cried about the poor baker being forced to make a gay cake. Then we discussed whether a doctor should be allowed to discriminate in the same way? I remember you and the roosters here not only saying that would never happen but saying that would be a bridge to far
Well Trump just passed a measure allowing doctors and nurses to discriminate against gay and trans patients based on a religious objection.

remind me when Jesus said to love they neighbor except for gay ones, black ones, mexican ones and trans one?

This_person

These people have the right to exercise their beliefs when it comes to themselves and minor children. They don't have the right to impose those beliefs on others. its really simple.

Good point - they didn't impose a thing, they simply made the editorial choice of what to air or not air.

Remember when you cried about the poor baker being forced to make a gay cake.

I did - I said he should be free to choose not to do something. Same as in this case. Thank you for showing I'm consistent(ly right).

Then we discussed whether a doctor should be allowed to discriminate in the same way? I remember you and the roosters here not only saying that would never happen but saying that would be a bridge to far
Well Trump just passed a measure allowing doctors and nurses to discriminate against gay and trans patients based on a religious objection.

remind me when Jesus said to love they neighbor except for gay ones, black ones, mexican ones and trans one?

I don't believe Jesus ever said that. Should we only base our laws on what Jesus says, or is that just an ignorant question hoping (and failing) to invoke a reaction?

Sapidus

Good point - they didn't impose a thing, they simply made the editorial choice of what to air or not air.

I did - I said he should be free to choose not to do something. Same as in this case. Thank you for showing I'm consistent(ly right).

I don't believe Jesus ever said that. Should we only base our laws on what Jesus says, or is that just an ignorant question hoping (and failing) to invoke a reaction?

So you are fine with a doctor refusing to treat a trans person or a gay person and allowing them to die because of their sincerely held religious beliefs.?

No you are the one always spouting off about religious freedom and how religion is unfairly persecuted. I'm fine with religion being taken out of all government and daily life. Morals and ethics should be the driving force not a sky monster and the promise of endless virgins

This_person

It's Alabama Public Television (federally-funded)

They include federal funding in their funds, yes, but they are not a regulatory arm of the government - meaning that just because they make editorial decisions that is akin to "censorship".

and their reasoning is essentially so that kids won't catch "the gay".

You're better than this and should be ashamed of yourself for sinking to this level.

This_person

So you are fine with a doctor refusing to treat a trans person or a gay person and allowing them to die because of their sincerely held religious beliefs.?

Am I fine with a person freely exercising their religion in a way that does not exert damage on someone else? Yes, yes I am.

No you are the one always spouting off about religious freedom and how religion is unfairly persecuted. I'm fine with religion being taken out of all government and daily life. Morals and ethics should be the driving force not a sky monster and the promise of endless virgins

So, what does what Jesus said have to do with making laws? Why would you bring Him into it? Are you too stupid to realize that you are suggesting what Jesus says should not be part of the discussion on laws?

Chris0nllyn

They include federal funding in their funds, yes, but they are not a regulatory arm of the government - meaning that just because they make editorial decisions that is akin to "censorship".

You're better than this and should be ashamed of yourself for sinking to this level.

I never said what they did was illegal or anything, just pointing out that it's not a private company.

“Parents have trusted Alabama Public Television for more than 50 years to provide children’s programs that entertain, educate and inspire,” Mckenzie said in an email. “More importantly – although we strongly encourage parents to watch television with their children and talk about what they have learned afterwards – parents trust that their children can watch APT without their supervision. We also know that children who are younger than the ‘target’ audience for Arthur also watch the program.”

They can't air a gay cartoon wedding because young kids may watch it or because "target age" kids may watch it without parental supervision.

How else do you take their response?

This_person

I never said what they did was illegal or anything, just pointing out that it's not a private company.

Fair enough. They are multi-funded and owned by the Alabama Educational Television Commission. They are independent in what they air. In that way, to me they are private. But, your point is well taken. :yay:

They can't air a gay cartoon wedding because young kids may watch it or because "target age" kids may watch it without parental supervision.

How else do you take their response?

That homosexual relationships are far outside the norm, being well under 5% of the population, and how to explain that to children is likely more appropriate for parents than cartoons - thus the "without parental supervision" part of their statement.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member

Cartoons aimed at young children, especially those aired on public TV, should not be used to indoctrinate and normalize political and social issues. Parents should discuss these issues at home: give them the facts, your opinions and tell them they'll have to develop their own opinions over the years as they grow up. If parents don't have the guts to do the right thing, park their ass in front of South Park if you want to use cartoons to educate your children. At least South Park's critique of social issues is more genuine than anything you'll find embedded in an episode of Arthur on PBS.

BTW, the infamous "they" have been using the mass media for decades to indoctrinate, normalize, and desensitize the masses in social and political issues; anything from issues of race and sexuality, to desensitization to never-ending war and death, to acceptance of the implementation of the Big Bother Police State. Bitch about those latter things and then you will gain my respect.

Sapidus

Cartoons aimed at young children, especially those aired on public TV, should not be used to indoctrinate and normalize political and social issues. Parents should discuss these issues at home: give them the facts, your opinions and tell them they'll have to develop their own opinions over the years as they grow up. If parents don't have the guts to do the right thing, park their ass in front of South Park if you want to use cartoons to educate your children. At least South Park's critique of social issues is more genuine than anything you'll find embedded in an episode of Arthur on PBS.

BTW, the infamous "they" have been using the mass media for decades to indoctrinate, normalize, and desensitize the masses in social and political issues; anything from issues of race and sexuality, to desensitization to never-ending war and death, to acceptance of the implementation of the Big Bother Police State. Bitch about those latter things and then you will gain my respect.

So do you believe the same of church? that "Parents should discuss these issues at home: give them the facts, your opinions and tell them they'll have to develop their own opinions over the years as they grow up"?

Isn't taking a child to church from birth till 18 the exact same type of indoctrination?

Do you think a child will become gay by seeing a gay character on TV?

I view it as the media is now portraying the actual demographics of the country as opposed to the myopic viewpoint it once had. We now have black, white, latino, trans, gay characters on Tv which reflects our actual country

This_person

So do you believe the same of church? that "Parents should discuss these issues at home: give them the facts, your opinions and tell them they'll have to develop their own opinions over the years as they grow up"?

Isn't taking a child to church from birth till 18 the exact same type of indoctrination?

Who do you think takes the kids to church, NPR? The state?

He's saying parents should do that, and parents DO or DO NOT take their kids to church based on their beliefs and what they're trying to instill in their children. Not what PBS says.

PBS didn't air this because they were aware it is an issue parents should be involved in sharing with their children, like parents do with church.

All you have to do is think it through, Sappy. I know it's hard for you, but you have to meet us half way and TRY.

Do you think a child will become gay by seeing a gay character on TV?

No, do YOU? Do you think a person will become a Christian because they go to a given church? Do you think they won't because they don't?

I view it as the media is now portraying the actual demographics of the country as opposed to the myopic viewpoint it once had. We now have black, white, latino, trans, gay characters on Tv which reflects our actual country

You have an opinion. Good for you. Not sure how it applies to the discussion we're in, but congratulations for having one.