Local Business Ale House (Lexington Park)

bulldog

My previous 2 visits were solo, but last night our family of 4 went. I had the Voodoo sandwich again because it's really good. Wife and son had the shaved prime rib sandwich and both said it was good although a bit lacking in quantity of meat. Daughter ordered salmon which was ok, but did not come our with our food. We were almost done by the time she got her plate.
Unacceptable, frustrating, and very disappointing.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I remember seeing the "Best of St. Mary's County" list in the Enterprise around 96-97.
As voted by the people, most romantic dining spot in St. Mary's was the Western Steer (now the WaWa at 235 / 4)

I remember those polls. I also cringed that they also voted for the Halfway House. I ate there once or twice and was, meh...

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
Went last night about 5:30. Some guy with a drum machine was banging on a guitar and trying to sing. It was so loud the hostess asked if we wanted to sit in the back away from the noise. Wife's iced tea came out fast but my beer took forever (maybe the bartender couldn't hear the order due to the noise) :shrug: I ordered the rubbed rib eye steak and the wife had the crabcake sandwich. When the steak finally came out it was warm. Wife said the crabcake had a lot of filler :boo:. Maybe it's me but I figured an Ale House was an adult type of place but there were numerous families with either screaming baby's or misbehaving kids running around. Not my idea of an adult dining out experience. The only thing I enjoyed all night was the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Beer. I'm never going back

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Phillip Parsons has a pretty big following that includes families with children. He played Toot's Saturday night which isn't kid friendly at night.

ginwoman

I say this about certain locations - it's a bad vibes building. The location in question is one of them, that place in Ltown shopping center that changes hands every year is another one. Like they were built on an Indian burial ground or something, it's consistent failure no matter what goes in there.

I agree about the Indian burial ground idea. The place in Hollywood on 235 that used to be TJ's carry out ... I think its now Cow and Fish or something. It seems doomed. The old Willows Restaurant building seems doomed, but we'll see how Kevin Thompson does with it. Maybe he'll "unjinx" it

ginwoman

The owner of the building? He's owned it for at least a few years. Its the same guy who owns the liquor store next to crab knockers.

I agree w/ you they need to be the best at something (food, service, cheap, etc...) to get people in. I've been here for 12+ years now and I have to say Olde Town Pub is the best option in Leonardtown. Food has always been excellent as well as service. I used to really like Salsa's but the last few times I've been the food hasn't been that great. The Rex had decent food but their service is horrible.

I agree about Salsa's....not as good as it used to be

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I agree about the Indian burial ground idea. The place in Hollywood on 235 that used to be TJ's carry out ... I think its now Cow and Fish or something. It seems doomed. The old Willows Restaurant building seems doomed, but we'll see how Kevin Thompson does with it. Maybe he'll "unjinx" it

liked the food at the last location, here not so much. Haven't been there on chicken day though, hope that's still up to snuff.

stgislander

PREMO Member
liked the food at the last location, here not so much. Haven't been there on chicken day though, hope that's still up to snuff.

I had Kevin's chicken this past Wednesday. It is now my #1 favorite. Very moist and flavorful. Chaptico Market has dropped to my #2 after my last two dinners from there. My only problem with CM's chicken is the coating is too salty for my taste.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Chaptico Market has dropped to my #2 after my last two dinners from there. My only problem with CM's chicken is the coating is too salty for my taste.

Ha..my opinion too. We buy enough chicken and sides from them to feed about 30 people when the family is at the island for our annual get together; I'm going to ask if they can tone it down on the salt a bit for our next order. I think they are using JO too?

We still haven't had a chance to try Kevin's new place..

BernieP

Resident PIA
I agree about Salsa's....not as good as it used to be

I've had real Mexican food, real Tex-Mex and Southwest cuisine.
Salsa's is, was and will always be drek. Sorry, but if you throw enough slop on the plate and cover it in cheese it doesn't make it good.

The thing is, they are all the same, probably buy their stuff from the same distributor, thaw it out, stick it on the steam table, serve it up, give a quick hit in the nuke-u-rator. Bam! You have a hot plate of "mexican" food.

Homer J

Power Chord
Anybody know when the new Mexican place south of Pax River will be opening? They've been working on it for a long time.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Back to the Ale House "(Lexington Park)".... Been there three times since it opened. Really like it. Can be noisy at times. That would be because they're doing good business and always have plenty of customers. We like to eat at the bar or the tall tables. My favorite, so far, is the Meatball Parmigiana. Made friends with some of the staff who I've found to all have very good attitudes and all seem to help each other out. I know there's always room for improvement but I think they're off to a good start.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've had real Mexican food, real Tex-Mex and Southwest cuisine.

I used to routinely work at a small shipbuilder, since closed down, in Chula Vista, south of San Diego. There was a Mexican restaurant within walking distance of my hotel that put out, hands down, the best Mexican food I've ever eaten anywhere else in the world. Spoiled me...to this day I still compare whatever I'm served with that place. ;-(

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Back to the Ale House "(Lexington Park)".... Been there three times since it opened. Really like it. Can be noisy at times. That would be because they're doing good business and always have plenty of customers. We like to eat at the bar or the tall tables. My favorite, so far, is the Meatball Parmigiana. Made friends with some of the staff who I've found to all have very good attitudes and all seem to help each other out. I know there's always room for improvement but I think they're off to a good start.

We go frequently as well (grapefruit sculpin on tap is all it takes) and the only real complaint I have is the kitchen seems to be super variable. The quality, amount and presentation are vastly different every time we go for certain things, the ale house fries come to mind.

lovinmaryland

I used to routinely work at a small shipbuilder, since closed down, in Chula Vista, south of San Diego. There was a Mexican restaurant within walking distance of my hotel that put out, hands down, the best Mexican food I've ever eaten anywhere else in the world. Spoiled me...to this day I still compare whatever I'm served with that place. ;-(
Used to live through out San Diego (Imperial Beach, Chula Vista, PB, MB, Lakeside, Poway, etc...) nothing like San Diego Mexican food! There is a taqueria in Waldorf that we've been to a lot and its GOOD...closest thing I've had to SD Mexican food...but still not the same.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-los-compadres-waldorf-2
000.jpg
We go frequently as well (grapefruit sculpin on tap is all it takes) and the only real complaint I have is the kitchen seems to be super variable. The quality, amount and presentation are vastly different every time we go for certain things, the ale house fries come to mind.
How are they w/ keep beers on tap? In earlier post they had often run out of things so we've been holding off going.

Homer J

Power Chord
Went to the Ale House for the first time last Sunday. It was quite good. The Ale House Fries appetizer was :drool:.

Tried the Ale House tonight for the first time. Eh.

Got wings for an app and the sliced beef sandwich (french dip) for dinner. The wings were obviously reheated in a microwave leaving them chewy. No one should EVER put meat in a microwave. The sandwich was good but the horseradish sauce was bitter. Kinda ruined the sandwich for me. Also kind of pricey for just those 2 items and an iced tea.

I'll give it another try again, sometime, maybe....