All Sides

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't believe there's such a thing as unbiased balanced news. Every time I fall for that marketing ploy it turns out that it's a leftwing shill.

glhs837

Power with Control
Take a peek. Seems that some level headed person/people is breaking things out by content, not creator. so a WaPo articel that appears to actually be written from a centrist sort of view would appear in the News From the Center section, while one with a left bent would be placed there. I'll need to do some more digging, but on first glance this looks legit.

glhs837

Power with Control
https://www.allsides.com/blog/reasons-hate-allsides

This sort of answers your "Leftwing shill" issue. They are straight up front about who they are an where they get money from.

For example, we have partnered and received some funding from some organizations that are dedicated to bridging divides, and many of these are run mostly by people from the left. Some have received money from people like Tom Steyer, billionaire donor and leader of progressive causes. He is currently funding an impeachment campaign among other causes, and is often vilified by conservatives.

AllSides has also worked with organizations and received funding from the Charles Koch Foundation. Like Tom Steyer on the left, Charles Koch is a wealthy supporter on the right, supporting conservative causes and candidates. Sure, Koch often funds traditionally liberal causes, including free press, free speech, and education, and that is how we have worked with them, but they are often vilified by progressives.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Great post. Thanks for this resource.

Spent quite a bit of time peeking around; worth checking in on. Don't agree with how they rated the bias of a number of publishers, but I do like the methodology and what the site is trying to do.

Again, thanks!

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'll need to do some more digging, but on first glance this looks legit.

A youtube commentator I follow had some issues with them, like rating Joe Scarbough as Right or Far Right ....

Allsides allows fact checking on its site .... agree or disagree with their analysis

https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-ratings

as he did NewsGuard I posted about a week or so ago
the biggest take is the more you know the better you can be informed

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
https://www.allsides.com/blog/reasons-hate-allsides

This sort of answers your "Leftwing shill" issue. They are straight up front about who they are an where they get money from.

See, I don't want to hear "perspectives". Our whole corporate news media is already made up of "perspectives". All I want is the who/what/where/when/how. I have the internet so I can look up any history or details to fill in and make up my own mind what I think about an issue. I don't need a bunch of adjectives steering me.

At least these guys appear to be honest about it, but for real I'm tired of media brainwashing. Even CSPAN has gone rogue on the Twitter by pushing certain stories and certain "perspectives". It's almost impossible to get a straight story anymore.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A youtube commentator I follow had some issues with them, like rating Joe Scarbough as Right or Far Right ....

Morning Blow hasn't been "right" let alone "far right" in years. If this site rates him as such, they suck and that's that.

glhs837

Power with Control
See, I don't want to hear "perspectives". Our whole corporate news media is already made up of "perspectives". All I want is the who/what/where/when/how. I have the internet so I can look up any history or details to fill in and make up my own mind what I think about an issue. I don't need a bunch of adjectives steering me.

At least these guys appear to be honest about it, but for real I'm tired of media brainwashing. Even CSPAN has gone rogue on the Twitter by pushing certain stories and certain "perspectives". It's almost impossible to get a straight story anymore.

Machines give facts, people give perspectives. Thats a fact :) The human brain can amazingly skim off the crap and just digest the facts. Granted, you need multiple sources to get them all, but thats always been the case. I would say you never got a straight story, you just know more now about how crooked they are.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Machines give facts, people give perspectives. Thats a fact :) The human brain can amazingly skim off the crap and just digest the facts. Granted, you need multiple sources to get them all, but thats always been the case. I would say you never got a straight story, you just know more now about how crooked they are.

Fox News shows, for example:

They almost unanimously offer both sides of an issue. Hannity is the exception, but even he has Geraldo on there fairly frequently. The host may be right-skewed, but their guest will be an opposing viewpoint.

By contrast, every time I've tried to watch CNN - forget MSNBC, they jumped the shark years ago - it's a hivemind with zero debate. In the rare event they have a conservative/Republican/Trump supporter on their show, it's usually at least 3 against 1 and the non-hive person barely gets a word in edgewise over the shouting down and grandstanding. Even Jake Tapper's interview of VP Pence - he'd ask Pence a question, Pence would start to answer, and Tapper would start talking over him and shout him down before he could even get a response out.

This is why I watch Fox and not the other networks.

With that I get numerous "perspectives" on an issue, so what I need now is just the facts, ma'am.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hmmm, they do a better job than most, I'll grant but there are stories they dont tell. And I gnerally dont think of news in terms of television news. Especially network news. I dont watch news, I read it. I listen to Fox, Fox Business, and NPR equally on the Sat radio driving around, but other than that it's different web sources, virtually none of them network related unless I'm following something I see here. My general mode sort of mimics this website, where I deliberately look at a few different angles like the WaPo vs the WaTimes. Every viewpoint has blind spots, you have to look from a few differant agles to see the whole elephant.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
News Guard on Fox News

https://www.niemanlab.org/2018/08/newsguard-considers-fox-news-a-healthy-part-of-your-news-diet/

newsguard-foxnews.png

NewsGuard considers Fox News a healthy part of your news diet
Some would agree! Others would disagree! But that’s the challenge of creating a simple green/red label for a news site: You’ve got to have a cut-off line somewhere, and for NewsGuard, it’s somewhere south of Fox News.