Almost Heaven - West Virginia

Christy

b*tch rocket
Oh! Horse Shoe Run is a really nice little state park. It's about 10-15 miles outside of Thomas. Here's a pic. If you're in to fossils, that place is for you. :yay:

Last edited:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Christy said:
Scherr Mountain (hope you don't get car sick :barf: )
Sirriani's Pizza in Davis is really good. :yay: It's WAY granola, but the pizza is good. :yum:
:yeahthat: But only go if you have a ton of time to spare, because they tend to be sloooooow. :lmao: My aunt used to own Blackwater Outdoor Adventures, but she sold the business a few months ago, otherwise I would've hooked ya up with a fun time. :yay:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Got to Randmcnally.com and select driving directions, shortest route and map it.

If you want to avoid the interstate you can go over towards Dahlgren and then Fredericksburg. From there pick up 17N and it will run you out to about where I-66 and I-81 meet and you will only do about 10 miles on the interstate for the one-way trip.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Ken King said:
Got to Randmcnally.com and select driving directions, shortest route and map it.

If you want to avoid the interstate you can go over towards Dahlgren and then Fredericksburg. From there pick up 17N and it will run you out to about where I-66 and I-81 meet and you will only do about 10 miles on the interstate for the one-way trip.
That's the route my mom takes, b/c she despises the beltway. From here (LaPlata), on a good day, it takes the same amount of time to go that way as it does the beltway.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Nickel said:
That's the route my mom takes, b/c she despises the beltway. From here (LaPlata), on a good day, it takes the same amount of time to go that way as it does the beltway.
I HATE that route, but then again, I like interstate highways rather than the long windy back roads. It's half and half the way I go. If I were ever a billionaire, I'd definitely build a freeway all the way to my doorstep in Thomas. :lol: There is nothing more aggravating than getting stuck behind a coal truck for 50 miles going 25mph. :twitch:

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
appyday said:
:rolleyes: I think I would take offence to that if I knew what it ment...
Try asking one of the " Long Bus " fourmites to explain it to you. Hey, who knows, they even may be able to explain MY POST to you. :lmao:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Christy said:
Yep, it still gets cold up there at night. Was there over the 4th.

Bresamil, the best way to go (IMHO) is take the beltway to 66W, then 66 ends and you take 81 (the right lane exit) follow that until you see the sign for Winchester/Romney (you'll take a left once you get off the exit). That will take you to Route 50. Go through Romney, and about 40 miles past Romney you'll take a left towards Scherr. I think it's Rt. 42. Follow that to the end, take a right (by this time you'll have seen the signs to Blackwater Falls/Canaan Valley). Go up Scherr Mountain (hope you don't get car sick :barf: ) take a left at the Top of the Mountain. Follow that to the end and take a left. You'll then be in Davis. :yay:

The town of Thomas (where I grew up) is being revitalized and is quite the touristy little area. I heard the Purple Fiddle (how gay is that :duh: ) is pretty good, and they have music during the weekend. I still can't bring myself to go in the Purple Fiddle, it went from Mr. DePollo's store where we got the best pepperoni in the world, to granola mecca. :bawl:

Sirriani's Pizza in Davis is really good. :yay: It's WAY granola, but the pizza is good. :yum:

For the ultimate shopping experience, stop in at the Dollar General store. :lol: While you are in there, could you please pick me up some more wine glasses? they're a $1.50 a piece and I loves them. :yay:

Now this is what I meant by positive information!!!! Thanks Christy! How many wine glasses do you want? I'll get them as a welcome home present for Pal. :lol:
And Nickel - thanks also - I'm still trying to figure out if the littlest one can do the white water rafting - she's such a lightweight.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Ken King said:

Ken I think I will take this route home - It'll be a Friday afternoon and I want to avoid rush hour traffic on the interstate. I'll take Christy's way up.

SeaRide

bresamil said:
I'm headed up there next week. I have use of a home near Black Water Falls. Anyone familiar with the area? The website for the park was nice but I don't know much about the surrounding area. Any good experiences? It'll help me to plan my days there. Although I'd be content to hang in the hot tub, read and relax, I'm travelling with kids and I don't want them to get bored.
Any positive information will be appreciated, along with any directions from here (St Mary's) to there (Davis, WVA) that doesn't include long stretches of interstate driving.

Been there for skiing, hiking, caving, biking, fishing, swimming, canoeing, photographing, trekking, camping and horseriding. Lot of events to attend.

Smokehole Cavern www.smokehole.com

Seneca Rocks www.senecarocks.com

Trail hiking after ski lift ride to the top - Timberline ski resort or Canaan Valley Ski resort

Geocaching at Canaan Valley ski resort ( fun family oriented using gps provided for caching)

Direction to Cheat River Outfitters (paintball, wild caving, rock climbing, river trips, etc) http://www.cheatriveroutfitters.com/directions.cfm

Blackwater Falls recreation info --> http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/recreation.htm

Motorcycle Touring at Snowshoe Mountain: July 13 – 24, Snowshoe. Enjoy field events, parades, live entertainment, ox roast, a vendor and expo area with great road touring along winding, scenic roads.
The WV State Hog Rally will be July 13 – 17, the Honda Gold Wing Rally is scheduled for July 17-20 and the Freedom Fest dates are July 19-24. For additional information, please contact Jason Scotchie at 304-572-5879 or visit www.snowshoemtn.com.

Train rides at either Cass http://www.cassrailroad.com
or at Romney http://www.potomaceagle.info/

Activities at Canaan Valley
Backpacking, Camping, Canoeing & Whitewater Rafting, Caverns, Chairlift Rides, Fishing, Golf, Horseback Riding, Mountain Biking, Nature Hikes, Picnic Areas, Rock Climbing, Scenic Train Rides, Skiing, Spa / Fitness Center, Swimming, Tennis
More info --> http://www.canaanvalley.org/activities.cfm

There are more activities out there that you will need to google and get specific info.

If you are going to relax and do nothing, disregard the info above.

:biggrin:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
SeaRide said:
Motorcycle Touring at Snowshoe Mountain: July 13 – 24, Snowshoe. Enjoy field events, parades, live entertainment, ox roast, a vendor and expo area with great road touring along winding, scenic roads.
The WV State Hog Rally will be July 13 – 17, the Honda Gold Wing Rally is scheduled for July 17-20 and the Freedom Fest dates are July 19-24. For additional information, please contact Jason Scotchie at 304-572-5879 or visit www.snowshoemtn.com.

:

All great info - but this especially for my Harley friend who plans to be there a few days.