ALMS coming to Baltimore

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Hopefully, it will fare better than when they came to DC and raced around RFK stadium a couple of years ago. I'd like to see it.

The race in DC was a huge success. Too bad the whiners got their way "they're too loud" :drama:

From what I'm hearing, it looks like they're pretty close to getting their way with the Manassas racetrack which was there before there was anything residential in Manassas/Dumfries area. Eff 'em. I hope somebody sticks an airport or a trucking station right there!:evil:

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Yeah, the ALMS race in DC attracted a very good crowd. It was very successful.
I guess the race interfered with the crack dealing going on in the nearby neighborhoods, which caused it to be canceled the next year.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Anything with curves is great (in racing too). ALMS looks like the best. How long is a typical race? I watch F1 religiously so don't really know that much about anything to do with doors. Are there the same classes as Le Mans, where everybody in everything, tries to get the hell out of the way of the Porsche prototypes!
:killingme

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
I too am a F1 fan. I have followed F1 for over twenty years and attended six of the US F1 races at Indy.
I have attended only one ALMS race, but attended a couple races from the older IMSA series in the early 90's. Those cars were spectacular!

The ALMS race lengths vary. I think 12 hours is the max length ran in the ALMS series; however the same cars (with various small changes) are used in the Lemans Series which has 24 hour races.
There are a few categories in ALMS, but Prototype 1 and 2 and GT2 are the main classes. The quickest prototypes are the diesels that Audi and Peugeot run. The GT2 Cars are composed of highly modified Vettes, Vipers, Porsche 911's, Ferrari F430's, etc.
Makes for a very interesting mix of race cars, engine types and sounds.