alpha Mares

barnbatty

So how do you handle a situation when you board a sweet gentle horse with a be-ach and over about 6 weeks your sweet gentle girl becomes sad & miserable & afraid of her own shadow. There are no other horses at the barn. I have been trying to separate the horses as much a possible, but my gal just seems so sad. She DOES NOT scream when taken away from the barn. But the alpha runs back & forth til she sweats & screams the entire time. I am a true believer in giving a horse the choice. But I think my sweet gal is afraid of even trying now. Any suggestions?

pmsmare

So how do you handle a situation when you board a sweet gentle horse with a be-ach and over about 6 weeks your sweet gentle girl becomes sad & miserable & afraid of her own shadow. There are no other horses at the barn. I have been trying to separate the horses as much a possible, but my gal just seems so sad. She DOES NOT scream when taken away from the barn. But the alpha runs back & forth til she sweats & screams the entire time. I am a true believer in giving a horse the choice. But I think my sweet gal is afraid of even trying now. Any suggestions?

how long have they been together? esp before you pull them apart
dones the alpha run her or just pin ear and move her around?
How big is the area you keep them?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I would remove the gentle one every single day, for even a short period of time, like tie her somewhere else to eat (even better if it's twice a day), then bring her back. Once the buddy soured mare realized the other one ALWAYS returns, she will eventually settle down. It's a necessary evil.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Sounds like the concern is the gentle mare being hurt/bullied by the alpha mare.
Not much to be done there except divide the field to keep her safe. The herd status is the herd status, and when you have one who goes overboard, the only thing to change it will be a meaner mare (or gelding) putting her in her place or separation/isolation for the mean mare.

I'd also look at feed. Sweet feed and high protein feeds (alfalfa) will make them act much more aggressively too.