D

dems4me

Originally posted by boomer
have HAD it with cable TV!

Would like to hear opinions/experiences/suggestions for some
alternates; dish, dishtv, etc.
thanks,
tha BOOMER:cussing:

I've had dish network for 4 or 5 years and have not really been happy with it -- it looses its signal too easily and I had an expert line it up and check on it from time to time to make sure its getting the best connection.:frown:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Have had dish 3 years and only lost signal 3-4 times during HEAVY rain. During hurricane lost it for 20 minutes, last night during storm, maybe 15 minutes. Get lots of channels, every baseball game there is, 61 channels of SIRIUS satellite radio.

Would recommend it over Direct TV. The programming is almost the same, except Dish has Sirius, both have DVR (TIVO). Dish is cheaper and Direct is owned by good old Rupert Murdoch.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by jlabsher
Have had dish 3 years and only lost signal 3-4 times during HEAVY rain. During hurricane lost it for 20 minutes, last night during storm, maybe 15 minutes. Get lots of channels, every baseball game there is, 61 channels of SIRIUS satellite radio.

Would recommend it over Direct TV. The programming is almost the same, except Dish has Sirius, both have DVR (TIVO). Dish is cheaper and Direct is owned by good old Rupert Murdoch.

Hi Jlabsher... what did you score on the spongebob thread?? just wondering... :huggy:
I used to not have this discontinuing problem before I moved. I guess when it disconnects I'm really mad because it disconects right before a storm hits and I can't get the local tornado warnings or anything and I feel completely out of control and scared (I don't like storms :bawl:) :shrug: The one good thing I can say about dish is they have bingo on Wedensday nights and folks win nice things or cash prizes on their bingo channel. If you subscribe to their cable guide you get free bingo cards!!! Have you had any luck on their bingo? I thought I did but I had the April card instead of the May card and the other time I tried to play, I had been setting my pennies on all the cards they give you (3 or 4) to play on and the dog jumped up -- hit the table and my pennies went everywhere and I couldn't catch up or continue playing... :bawl:

Vince

Depends on which side of the bridge you're on as to whether you have good cable. Calvert County Comcast Cable, last night during the storm was the first time I ever had a problem. And that was only with the digital channels. All the other thunderstorms we've ever had I didn't have any problems. I'll never go to a dish unless I move.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I think I was Dexter, can't remember. Actually I prefer Courage the Cowardly Dog.

With any satellite you won't get local weather. You need to check the internet for that if it is threatening, actually last night my DSL went out for awhile too.

You will lose signal if the storm is in the direct path from the dish to satellite. So with Dish that means if the storm is south of you, it goes out for awhile. I think Direct points another direction. Sounds like your installer screwed it up. I know my dish was loose after they put it in. I climbed up on the roof and fixed it, have had no problems since.

I don't do the bingo stuff, my kids get upset enough when I turn their channels off to see the ballgame.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by jlabsher
I think I was Dexter, can't remember. Actually I prefer Courage the Cowardly Dog.

With any satellite you won't get local weather. You will lose signal if the storm is in the direct path from the dish to satellite. So with Dish that means if the storm is south of you, it goes out for awhile. I think Direct points another direction. Sounds like your installer screwed it up. I know my dish was loose after they put it in. I climbed up on the roof and fixed it, have had no problems since.

I don't do the bingo stuff, my kids get upset enough when I turn their channels off to see the ballgame.

:roflmao: the bingo lasts from 9-11 :wink: I don't get local weather but I keep it on channel 9 for the topper shut interruptions and the beep... beep... beep... messages that scroll at the top of the screen, then if interested weather channel has local on the 8s but its not local but I can still read the radar map that they show of the east coast for a hot 5 seconds... :lol:
I just want to know what is going on around me. :biggrin:

moon5leg

It's not easy being green
I'd have to recommend Directv. I've never had a weather related problem with it at all, and that's thru a New York winter (lots of snow, not the 2 or 3 inch "storms" down here that send St. Mary's into a frenzy).

You CAN get local channels on Directv, and Dish for that matter, so you could get the local news and weather updates. Dish may by cheaper, but it very slightly cheaper, and Directv often has some pretty good deals.

Here's why Directv is better than Dish for me: I love sports! And the available sports networks and packages on Directv blows away anything that Dish offers.

Other than that, I'm sure the programming and services are quite similar overall.

I'm with you though, I can't stand GMP's digital cable service. Even when there are no storm issues, the picture quality is mediocre at best. :snacks:

Hot N Bothered

I have directv. I do lose it whenever it storms. I've been considering getting cable, because I don't watch TV all that much, but cable doesn't have the channels I do end up watching and the price isn't any better.

Jlbasher... what do you mean you can't get local weather with a dish? I get all the local channels, 4, 5, 7, 9, 20, 50 etc. The only thing I don't get is channel 8 and the local/government access stuff. And if I really want a local weather report, I can get "weather channel interactive", which I can program to give me a report for any city I choose.

CMC122

Go Braves!
We had dish for years and hated it.

I can honestly say I have never had a problem with my GMP service's. My net is fast and my picture's are clear :shrug:

D

dems4me

Originally posted by moon5leg
I'd have to recommend Directv. I've never had a weather related problem with it at all, and that's thru a New York winter (lots of snow, not the 2 or 3 inch "storms" down here that send St. Mary's into a frenzy).

You CAN get local channels on Directv, and Dish for that matter, so you could get the local news and weather updates. Dish may by cheaper, but it very slightly cheaper, and Directv often has some pretty good deals.

Here's why Directv is better than Dish for me: I love sports! And the available sports networks and packages on Directv blows away anything that Dish offers.

Other than that, I'm sure the programming and services are quite similar overall.

I'm with you though, I can't stand GMP's digital cable service. Even when there are no storm issues, the picture quality is mediocre at best. :snacks:

I think what bothers me most about Dish is you can't purchase the NFL package... only the college football package. I want the NFL package to keep track of my football pool bets...
:biggrin: :biggrin:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Have had Dish for 2 years and before that had DirecTV for about 6. Great picture, rarely if ever lose signal (last night lost it for about 5 minutes but I have an antenna backup so I could still watch CSI). For me there is little to no difference between the two. The wife likes the guide features of Dish so that it what we are currently using.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
With Dish you DO get your local channels, just not the local radar feed on the weather channel. You still get that annoying beep on channel 7 every time it clouds up and people around here freak about the weather.

As of last year with Dish you didn't get MLB season ticket, now you do, you also get hockey & basketball, just no pro football. But I'm really not a big fan, and during the season you are saturated with football anyway. You also get a ton of foreign channels with Dish, love watching those hot eastern european wimmin!

moon5leg

It's not easy being green
FOX Sports

With Directv, you can get all of the FOX Sports networks from around the country also, which is a huge plus if you're a displaced sports fan from another area as I am. I don't think Dish Network offers those channels, but I'm not positive.

SmallTown

Football season!
I've had Dish and DirecTV and liked direct better. Even during the hurricane last fall, didn't lose the signal once..

If you have an HDTV, check out Voom. A Sat. service that offers a LOT of HDTV programming, plus some of your standard chanels as well.