Alternative to declawing

Toxick

Splat
It's way better than knocking off a digit. I don't want to and I've put it off for a long time. I don't want him to hurt. :frown: I trim his nails and it doesn't help. Eventually I want new furniture. :ohwell:

Get a scratching post.

Every time the cat digs their claws into anything besides the scratching post, you hit them with pepper-spray. They figure out real quick not to scratch the furniture.

No declawing, no tendonectomy.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Get a scratching post.

Every time the cat digs their claws into anything besides the scratching post, you hit them with pepper-spray. They figure out real quick not to scratch the furniture.

No declawing, no tendonectomy.
I had a scratching post for 3 years. He never used it. I've smacked him, sprayed him, pushed him off furniture...it does not help!

Cowgirl

I had a scratching post for 3 years. He never used it. I've smacked him, sprayed him, pushed him off furniture...it does not help!

You need a Scooter. Every time he heard my cat, Marmalade (RIP), claw the furniture, he'd go over and *bump* her with his nose. :lol:

krisx2

Get a scratching post that is covered with sisal (rope cord) not just carpet as that is what cats like. Make sure the post is tall enough, at least 2.5 feet. A short post isn't going to be effective. Show the cat how to use it (demonstrate) and praise him when he uses it. Keep him confined with it in a small room like the bathroom for a few days while he establishes his routine. Supervise him outside the room so you can correct him if he scratches furniture or rugs. I have fostered many cats and I have never had a problem training any of them. Cats are quick to learn if you're willing to spend a little time and training. If you aren't, don't keep a cat. It is incredibly cruel to do any kind of procedure on them to remove their nails.

Get a scratching post that is covered with sisal (rope cord) not just carpet as that is what cats like. Make sure the post is tall enough, at least 2.5 feet. A short post isn't going to be effective. Show the cat how to use it (demonstrate) and praise him when he uses it. Keep him confined with it in a small room like the bathroom for a few days while he establishes his routine. Supervise him outside the room so you can correct him if he scratches furniture or rugs. I have fostered many cats and I have never had a problem training any of them. Cats are quick to learn if you're willing to spend a little time and training. If you aren't, don't keep a cat. It is incredibly cruel to do any kind of procedure on them to remove their nails.
:yeahthat: You could also get a big bag of katnip, drill a hole in the center of the scratching post from below and dump the katnip inside, then plug the hole with a cork. Cat will use the post then, if for no other reason than the high from the katnip.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
:yeahthat: You could also get a big bag of katnip, drill a hole in the center of the scratching post from below and dump the katnip inside, then plug the hole with a cork. Cat will use the post then, if for no other reason than the high from the katnip.
Timon turns his nose up at cat nip. Next. :lol: