Always someone's ox being gored..

jrt_ms1995

....and now they are talking about putting wind farms off the Cali coast....and in the Gulf of Mexico. I wonder if they'll ever stop to consider that wind turbines require.......wind.

https://www.workboat.com/wind/boem-...LFtwp4VdiXNrTHpg1Um5UlHliqI4W5zKA8Oz2HZEo0F-D
What's wind got to do with channeling money to political allies?

10s of millions of these generators will soon give us all the electrical power our betters demand.

Last edited:

gemma_rae

Correct me if I'm wrong, any electricity generated has to be piped via copper cabling to a collection/switching station. Won't this require miles of submarine cable to be laid on the ocean floor and protected in some manor such as encasement in concrete? The only other option would be towers for aerial cabling. I'll never see it, but someone will. Do you think the Greenies ever think of that?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, any electricity generated has to be piped via copper cabling to a collection/switching station. Won't this require miles of submarine cable to be laid on the ocean floor and protected in some manor such as encasement in concrete?

Yes, it can be many miles of underwater cable. It is heavily armored but basically near or on the surface of the ocean bottom, depending on topography/geology. Within each wind farm, underwater cables connect every turbine to a consolidation platform. The large feeder cables go from there to a shore station, where the DC power is inverted to AC and controls are there for feeding the power grid.

Some of the wind farms we help support are more than 70 nautical miles offshore.

gemma_rae

Yes, it can be many miles of underwater cable. It is heavily armored but basically near or on the surface of the ocean bottom, depending on topography/geology. Within each wind farm, underwater cables connect every turbine to a consolidation platform. The large feeder cables go from there to a shore station, where the DC power is inverted to AC and controls are there for feeding the power grid.

Some of the wind farms we help support are more than 70 nautical miles offshore.
I've worked on some of the now retired telephone submarine crossings under the Potomac, from East Potomac park to Va., and my stars were they ever monsters! Heavily armored indeed! This was before fiber optics of course.

Too bad current doesn't flow over glass, huh.⚡