Alyssa Milano: “But isn’t it worth trying?”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The second moment came during one of several ignorant and illogical interjections by Alyssa Milano. This was not her emotional appeal as someone with “anxiety,” or her emotional appeal “as a mother,” or even her emotional appeal as someone who wanted to see for herself that Ted Cruz was human. It was her assertion that the scale of a problem justifies the experimental implementation of any policy, regardless of its efficacy or constitutional legitimacy.

Ted Cruz: “I don’t think [background checks] would have a meaningful impact in decreasing gun violence.”

Alyssa Milano: “But isn’t it worth trying?”

The same logic was echoed by Fred Guttenberg later in the discussion.

“Background checks will certainly stop, I’m not going to say the majority of those, but it’ll stop some of them, and if we save lives it’s worth it.”

Again, whether intentionally or incidentally, this attitude is repeatedly mirrored by the Left, uncovering deep hypocrisy and a threat of increased power seized under the banner of “saving lives.” Firstly, if the only evidence required in support of any policy is that it’ll “save lives,” then surely that would mean we should enact an instant immigration freeze. What about the forced euthanasia of anyone with a terminal, infectious disease? Why don’t we outlaw vehicular travel? “If it saves lives, isn’t it worth trying?”

https://townhall.com/columnists/ian...red-guttenbergs-gun-control-argument-n2553055

:cds:

OMG We Must Do SOMETHING ......... Ah No We Don't

Hijinx

Poor Alyssa. Now that she doesn't get much work she needs something to keep her busy.
Maybe she should take up knitting or making quilts.

Reactions: BOP

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Let's take Mr. Guttenberg here. His daughter was killed in Parkland by a person already known to law enforcement and Broward Co. schools. The school did nothing to address the problem and neither did police after multiple incidents with the shooter.

Background checks would not have worked with that shooter due to the school systems reticence to avoid looking like a "problem school" and of course not to hurt any feelz

black dog

Free America
Stopping welfare payments so people will go out and get a job is something worth trying.

Sterilizing welfare moms after giving birth to a 2nd bastard is something worth trying.

Executing three time felons is something worth doing.

IFIFY

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's interesting the things these folks get worked up over. When it comes to childhood death, shootings aren't even in the top 5. Car accidents are #1, followed by drowning, fire, falls, and poisoning. Kids are significantly more likely to die at the hands of their own parents than by some school shooter. Teens are far more likely to die of drug overdose than be shot.

Let's get real:

They don't give a **** if kids die. If they did, they'd focus on what kills them. Their only interest is disarming We the People so they can take over and we can't do anything about it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What a moron. "Isn't it worth trying?". No expectation of a positive outcome and zero awareness that anything, once "tried", tends to become a permanently oppressive government action. It's not like they EVER go back and say "Welp..that didn't work..so let's rescind it". When was the last time?..Prohibition??

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
What a moron. "Isn't it worth trying?". No expectation of a positive outcome and zero awareness that anything, once "tried", tends to become a permanently oppressive government action. It's not like they EVER go back and say "Welp..that didn't work..so let's rescind it". When was the last time?..Prohibition??
It worked 4 times in the last 20 years and it's for the children so let's keep it.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Why does she get so much attention. I don't get it.
So it doesn't go to the exact question, but you get the point.
image.jpeg

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I don't get it either. It's not like she's some A list celebrity. But she is literally everywhere.
A listers are usually busy working because they are in demand. Looks like it isn't Hallmark channel filming season so she has a little time on her hands.

SamSpade

They actually DO that as we observed in the Assault Weapons Ban. It ran for ten years, and was not renewed. Why? Because it didn't work.
Any changes that did occur were statistically insignificant.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/we-banned-assault-weapons-before-and-it-didnt-work/

What we have, once again, is the sense that "we must DO something". I agree. We should. I am not entirely sure what will work, but we have
fairly conclusive evidence that what has been TRIED, does not. Just like we have programs which are intended to combat poverty and after fifty
years have not succeeded appreciably - the response to these kinds of social experiments is to keep doing it until it DOES. An approach which never
ever works in any other aspect of human existence.

But I CAN say that specifically addressing mass shootings - in schools - perpetrated by a student - they need to be SPECIFICALLY addressed, and I read not long ago the history of that Parkland shooter. Nikolas Cruz was KNOWN for years - YEARS - to be a seriously sick disturbed kid and the schools were completely unwilling to do anything about it. He should NEVER - NEVER - have been in that school.

Here's a typical article about him -

https://nypost.com/2019/09/08/parkl...e-if-district-hadnt-enabled-deranged-student/

He passed a background check and used a legally purchased gun. The fact IS, he was a known sadistic psychopath and everyone knew it.
You don't need more gun laws - you need people willing to deal with this problem BEFORE the shooting starts.

Most gun laws treat every person as a potential Nikolas Cruz - while totally ignoring the Nikolas Cruz in front of them.
You don't put down every dog, because one might be Cujo - you get rid of Cujo.

NO ONE has the cojones to do that. They'd rather pass a useless law and move on with their lives.