Am I crazy??

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I have been doing the same job since 1994. Day in and day out for 23 years. A new position became available within the same company. I applied. Got to Phase 2 which is a long background questionnaire. Reading over it, they wanted to know all sorts of stuff completely unrelated to the job like how many written warnings/tickets I have received (no driving required with the new job) and financial history. I decided not to fill it out as it was none of their business.

Fast forward to yesterday and my Supervisor tells me the Supervisor of the new job stopped by after I had left for the day looking for me. Got in contact with him and he said to get in contact with the lady in Personnel ASAP. Talked to her and they wanted me for the job and I wouldn't even have to go through the whole hiring process. A simple memo and the job is mine. They know how hard of a worker I am and they want me to start before the current employee leaves so she can train me.(She has been doing the job for about 35 years).

My question is, am I nuts to leave something I have done for so long it has become second nature for something new and completely unknown to me??

black dog

Free America
Absolutely not, Change is the the mother of invention..
Dust off your brain and take the lid off that can of paint, grab a new roller and climb into that new job.
Keep moving forward.... Good Luck...

frequentflier

happy to be living
I commend you for doing the same job and working for the same company for 23 years! It sounds incredibly boring and predictable! There are days, I wish I had a job like that!

That said, the other job sounds like a challenge and new adventure. It also sounds as though management appreciates that you are an asset to their business and knows will do well in it. You are fortunate to be getting the training you need from another long time -and probably quite capable- employee.

Good Luck! :huggy:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Thanks guys. I agree. Job has become so routine it has gotten boring. I want the change and more importantly, I need the change. I am nervous and excited all at the same time!! I need to tell them my decision sometime next week.

glhs837

Power with Control
Go for it. All of my last three jobs (since 2000) have been things I had never done before. They did call upon knowledge I had from previous experience but needed me to learn a whole new skill set.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Go for it. All of my last three jobs (since 2000) have been things I had never done before. They did call upon knowledge I had from previous experience but needed me to learn a whole new skill set.

I will be going from working in the Warrant Unit to working in the Property and Evidence Section. Logging in lots of paperwork to logging lots of money and drugs... and possibly bloody stuff. :lol:

Change is always scary. But if you think you're you're in a rut, you probably are, and a change may be the best thing for your personal moral.

Good Luck!

CRHS89

Go for it! If you don't you may regret it. And this is coming from someone who goes kicking and screaming into any kind of change.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Go for it! If you don't you may regret it. And this is coming from someone who goes kicking and screaming into any kind of change.

I agree. I would definitly always wonder "what if" if I let this opportunity pass. Just nervous about the " grass not being greener on the other side" thing.

acommondisaster

Congratulations on your new job! You're about to go through a period of adjustment. You go from being the person who has all of the legacy knowledge to being the "new kid" - figuring out how to fit in. But it's how we grow and adapt and make new friends and new experiences.

I say plug your nose and jump in! The water will cold for a minute or two, but before you know it, you'll be swimming around having a ball! ;)

GopherM

Darwin was right
I was lucky enough to stay with the same organization from 1976 until I retired in 2008 but the organization had enough depth and diversity that I was able to change jobs about every 7 years or so. I was offered the opportunity to learn more and more in broader areas. Some were lateral moves and some were moves upward. Whichever way it went it kept me from getting bored and hopefully made me more useful to the different teams I supported.

Count yourself lucky that you have the opportunity and that you are valued.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I was lucky enough to stay with the same organization from 1976 until I retired in 2008 but the organization had enough depth and diversity that I was able to change jobs about every 7 years or so. I was offered the opportunity to learn more and more in broader areas. Some were lateral moves and some were moves upward. Whichever way it went it kept me from getting bored and hopefully made me more useful to the different teams I supported.

Count yourself lucky that you have the opportunity and that you are valued.

This is a lateral transfer. Same "Grade" and same pay.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Switched over from the Warrant Unit to the Property Section on Nov 10th and I freaking LOVE it!! I am so glad I made the change. I am busy and that makes the day fly by. My name is mud in my old office but I could care less. They are just pissed because I am happy and always smiling now and they are still miserable. I was told that they expected me to come crawling back to my old job and they never expected me to be so happy. Even my best friend at work has stopped talking to me over it. Oh well!! :razz:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Switched over from the Warrant Unit to the Property Section on Nov 10th and I freaking LOVE it!! I am so glad I made the change. I am busy and that makes the day fly by. My name is mud in my old office but I could care less. They are just pissed because I am happy and always smiling now and they are still miserable. I was told that they expected me to come crawling back to my old job and they never expected me to be so happy. Even my best friend at work has stopped talking to me over it. Oh well!! :razz:

Good for you! I am glad you posted because I was wondering how the transition went :clap:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Good for you! I am glad you posted because I was wondering how the transition went :clap:

I was a little over-whelmed at first but I am slowly getting the hand of things. With me replacing somebody who is retiring at the end of the month, they are trying to pack my brain with all her knowledge.