Am I reading too much into this...

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
... or is there something strange happening with these aid concerts tonight?

I was browsing through tonight's guide [of television shows] and noticing the myriad of stations that will air "Shelter from the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast". This is a multi-talented event featuring actors and musicians of every major persuasion. (8 - 9p, EST)

Eventually I got to the listing for BET and noticed that they have their own concert tonight, being aired from 7:30 to 10p. The website describes it this way: "BET and hip-hop artists step up to aid Hurricane Katrina victims in the aftermath of devastating tragedy." Kind of selective, it seems.

Moreover, and this is the real kicker in my opinion, the event is called S.O.S.: BET Telethon, where "S.O.S." is short for "saving ourselves". Saving ourselves? Is that coincidental or strategic marketing?

I think it's ridiculous that BET is (a) overlapping their concert with the other, and (b) appearing so exclusive. Or am I being over-critical?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
hvp05 said:
I think it's ridiculous that BET is (a) overlapping their concert with the other, and (b) appearing so exclusive. Or am I being over-critical?
:lmao: I think it's funny. I don't like BET, it seems a little too "Black Panther" ish for my taste, and sets back the whole "equality" thing. I'm sure the overlapping is on purpose, and because there weren't enough hip-hop/rap artists "representing" in the regular benefit, and they want to draw attention to themselves. As for the "SOS" issue, I'm just going to chuckle to myself and pass on that one. I, for one, will not be watching any hurricane related events this evening. I am Katrina-ed out. :ohwell:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Nickel said:
I don't like BET
I should have qualified this statement by saying that I do enjoy a lot of the type of music that they play, I just don't like music videos in general, and their "talk" TV is a little much for my taste. For example, I really like Kanye West's music, I think he's a very talented individual in his genre. I do, however, think he is way too oversensitive and probably a little crazy.