Ambulance Association Supports Tax Increase for Second, Ninth Districts

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Ambulance Association Supports Tax Increase for Second, Ninth Districts

Date: 01-01-2018 11:56 PM

Summary: The St. Mary's County Ambulance and Rescue Association (SMCARA) has thrown its support behind a controversial request for an increase in the fire and rescue tax for the Second District Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad in Valley Lee.

Click here for the full story...

This_person

Summary: The St. Mary's County Ambulance and Rescue Association (SMCARA) has thrown its support behind a controversial request for an increase in the fire and rescue tax for the Second District Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad in Valley Lee.

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to charge the users? The vast majority have insurance of one kind or another, designed to pay for ambulance services. Those that don't, well, there's always the ACA. I'm not advocating removing the current tax rate that maintains the base infrastructure of having people volunteer to help people as their hobby, but if the problem is the cost of supplies, charge the people that use the supplies.

Seems a far more fair and reasonable way of handling the stated problem.

Hijinx

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to charge the users? The vast majority have insurance of one kind or another, designed to pay for ambulance services. Those that don't, well, there's always the ACA. I'm not advocating removing the current tax rate that maintains the base infrastructure of having people volunteer to help people as their hobby, but if the problem is the cost of supplies, charge the people that use the supplies.

Volunteers for Ambulance and Fire services are getting fewer all the time.
I have no problem with a citizens Committee that forms to try and hold down taxes, but what they don't want to hear is that it's time the County started hiring some people to help fill in these stations.. During the day there are a lot of scratches where other squads are sent from farther out because of a lack of people to get the squads on the road.
Wouldn't it be great if these people doing the bitching would come out and join the Rescue Squads and Fire Department.

I wonder if they have any idea of the time it takes these qualified Volunteers to get the training needed to get the squad out the door.
Each call these people make takes at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours of their time. Away from work, away from home, in the cold and rain every day around the clock.
We now have a Paramedic system with some paid people filed in by Volunteers doing the same job for nothing.
But many volunteer Rescue Squads are hurting for people especially during the day.

People are not beating down the doors volunteering for these positions.
Look forward to the day that paid people have to be hired to get the job done.
Then see what happens to your taxes.
They want to hold down taxes.----------Volunteer.

Hijinx

To me charging the users defeats the Volunteer system.
If you charge the people you can pay the responders.

MiddleGround

Volunteers for Ambulance and Fire services are getting fewer all the time.
I have no problem with a citizens Committee that forms to try and hold down taxes, but what they don't want to hear is that it's time the County started hiring some people to help fill in these stations.. During the day there are a lot of scratches where other squads are sent from farther out because of a lack of people to get the squads on the road.
Wouldn't it be great if these people doing the bitching would come out and join the Rescue Squads and Fire Department.

I wonder if they have any idea of the time it takes these qualified Volunteers to get the training needed to get the squad out the door.
Each call these people make takes at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours of their time. Away from work, away from home, in the cold and rain every day around the clock.
We now have a Paramedic system with some paid people filed in by Volunteers doing the same job for nothing.
But many volunteer Rescue Squads are hurting for people especially during the day.

People are not beating down the doors volunteering for these positions.
Look forward to the day that paid people have to be hired to get the job done.
Then see what happens to your taxes.
They want to hold down taxes.----------Volunteer.

I currently work with someone that I have known for a long time who is a volunteer fire fighter locally. I asked him about joining and he told me "don't waste your time."

He informed me that the reason is because (and this is only based on HIS department) there are quite a lot of tenured members that do absolutely nothing when it comes to duties, training, etc. and are only there to get the tax break. These people are basically "dead weight" and really are not current on their training and a hazard when in the field but, they have been there so long that no one can do anything about it. It's kind of like a tenured teacher that has given up and just occupies their classroom to get a paycheck.

I get stories all the time about how they hold training and these guys simply refuse to participate because they know they cannot be fired or voted out due to their length of service in the FD.

This_person

I currently work with someone that I have known for a long time who is a volunteer fire fighter locally. I asked him about joining and he told me "don't waste your time."

He informed me that the reason is because (and this is only based on HIS department) there are quite a lot of tenured members that do absolutely nothing when it comes to duties, training, etc. and are only there to get the tax break. These people are basically "dead weight" and really are not current on their training and a hazard when in the field but, they have been there so long that no one can do anything about it. It's kind of like a tenured teacher that has given up and just occupies their classroom to get a paycheck.

I get stories all the time about how they hold training and these guys simply refuse to participate because they know they cannot be fired or voted out due to their length of service in the FD.

I'm fine with raising taxes to go from people doing it as a hobby to people doing it because it is their professional life. Some take offense at that, but I do not believe a significant number of people involved are not good at it, I think they are doing it on the side as a hobby. Yes, there are poor professionals, too, but (as you imply) they can be dealt with far better than those who do it as a hobby.

But, they're not trying to go to a professional force, they simply want a newer building (for one district) and paid back for supplies. I don't think it takes away from volunteers to have the ride paid for by insurance in order to recoup some of the costs of the consumables (gas, insurance, maintenance, and supplies).

I am very thankful that so many people choose this as their hobby, because it helps keep the taxes down. As for me and mine, whenever humanly possible we have gone to the hospital on our own, because I am technically qualified to ride the ambulance and I am nowhere near actually qualified to ride the ambulance. I have to assume others are out there like me, so I just go straight to the hospital.

As for those refusing to participate in training, that is clearly an issue with the instructors passing the students. The way to fix that problem is not pass them if they don't earn it. Yes, that will make the instructors less popular, but the county's safety is not a popularity contest. And, if they are not qualified, I can't see how they could continue to be on the team and reap the paltry (but not insignificant) benefits.

Too many of these volunteer organizations are run as social lodges and not as professional safety services. Primarily, I fault the fact that they are organizations of like-minded hobbyists, and not professionals who have dedicated their professional lives to the safety of others, not their hobby time.

TPD

the poor dad

^^ THIS RIGHT HERE ^^

You volunteer for the job, any job/position, because you love doing it or you love the cause that it supports. You should not volunteer for the tax or monetary benefits!! I do not agree with the current (or any) financial incentives in place for our volunteer 1st responders.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

Who are these guys......? I can't find anything about them. Union, Trade Association, one guy with a PO Box?

Hijinx

Ask your friend a few questions.
1. Who does he think built that station he belongs to. He didn't, it was those old guys he debases.
2.Who does he think worked with the State and county to get those tax breaks he also enjoys.
It wasn't a bunch of young guys who came along years after.
3. What he considers dead weight are the foundation these companies were built on.
4. Many of them know their limitations.. They know what they can do and their capabilities. The Firefighting part of the job is a job for young men,but many times during the day where are the young men and who gets the truck out when they are at work.

Sure some of the older men just attend meetings and don't do much,but aren't they entitled?

Don't listen to your friend, If you wish to join a Department ,join
Be there to help your neighbors when they need you, not to seek positions for yourself.
Believe me you will be appreciated and recognised as a part of the team.
These battles and cliques and plays for power exist in every organization.
Do your job and stop worrying about others doing theirs.

Young people always think that older people are just in the way. It's a shame, they forget one day they will be the old men.

This_person

Sure some of the older men just attend meetings and don't do much,but aren't they entitled?

No, they are not entitled. If they are not pulling their weight in terms of running calls but just phoning it in, they are entitled to getting the same compensation as other people who are not running calls - nothing.

No one is entitled to taxpayer-funded stuff. If they want retirement benefits, take those as they exist.

No one owes them anything any more than any other volunteer position that is funded by taxpayers - that would be zip-point-squat.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
No, they are not entitled. If they are not pulling their weight in terms of running calls but just phoning it in, they are entitled to getting the same compensation as other people who are not running calls - nothing.

No one is entitled to taxpayer-funded stuff. If they want retirement benefits, take those as they exist.

No one owes them anything any more than any other volunteer position that is funded by taxpayers - that would be zip-point-squat.

Ive been with guys who hear the call...go sign in and go back to the bar...........

nutz

1. Who does he think built that station he belongs to. He didn't, it was those old guys he debases.
2.Who does he think worked with the State and county to get those tax breaks he also enjoys.
3. What he considers dead weight are the foundation these companies were built on.
4. Many of them know their limitations.. They know what they can do and their capabilities. The Firefighting part of the job is a job for young men,but many times during the day where are the young men and who gets the truck out when they are at work.

Be there to help your neighbors when they need you, not to seek positions for yourself.

Young people always think that older people are just in the way. It's a shame, they forget one day they will be the old men.

Great post....

MiddleGround

Is this a serious response? I honestly can not believe that you are being serious here.

Ultimately it comes down to this question.

"Would YOU want these people responding to your home if your loved ones were trapped inside during a fire?" The ones who refuse to keep current on their training or even participate in the training and only show up for meetings, county fairs (not to volunteer but, to get the discounts and free food), and to stand around while the "younger guys" do all of the work.

nutz

For all posting here, If you don't know the rules, don't criticize. Volunteer and make a difference or STFU. Insurance claims will not help the situation. Over population on limited resources is a huge problem for the Charles, St. Mary's and Calvert tri-county area. People are demanding more service, but don't want to pay with their time or money. Any clue how much one outfitted ambulance costs? One pumper truck? One ladder truck? Do they NEED an $8 million dollar complex, maybe a 6 million one would suffice... but if you're not part of the problem/crisis, become part of the solution. There are enough people in the system bitching and moaning and not helping to solve.

MiddleGround

You do realize that these are Firefighters, right? They have to rely on the people they are working with. They literally put their very lives in each other's hands. Right? I am DEFINITELY going to worry about "others doing their job."

Only the one's who don't know it is time to retire and stick around hoping to get credit that is not earned. Credit like a big 'ole Tax Break.

nutz

Is this a serious response? I honestly can not believe that you are being serious here.

Ultimately it comes down to this question.

"Would YOU want these people responding to your home if your loved ones were trapped inside during a fire?" The ones who refuse to keep current on their training or even participate in the training and only show up for meetings, county fairs (not to volunteer but, to get the discounts and free food), and to stand around while the "younger guys" do all of the work.

Just because your friend has a low opinion of those people does not mean there are incapable. Maybe they are at the meetings he does not attend. Maybe they are getting trained at other times and locations.

This_person

For all posting here, If you don't know the rules, don't criticize. Volunteer and make a difference or STFU. Insurance claims will not help the situation. Over population on limited resources is a huge problem for the Charles, St. Mary's and Calvert tri-county area. People are demanding more service, but don't want to pay with their time or money. Any clue how much one outfitted ambulance costs? One pumper truck? One ladder truck? Do they NEED an $8 million dollar complex, maybe a 6 million one would suffice... but if you're not part of the problem/crisis, become part of the solution. There are enough people in the system bitching and moaning and not helping to solve.

I believe every taxpayer is a part of the solution, frankly.

However, we are responding to the request. The request says they need money to pay for consumables like bandages. There does not seem to be an issue getting the trucks, engines, or ambulances, because that is not a part of the reason for the request (according to the request).

So, yeah, insurance claims will help the situation. It's able to pay for that which is requested instead of coming on the backs of everyone.

However, I didn't see anyone criticizing. I saw people of all sorts making realistic comments with respect to the request, or to others' comments.

So, by your own standard, STFU.

This_person

Ive been with guys who hear the call...go sign in and go back to the bar...........

I have worked with a great number of volunteers who brag about doing the same thing, and then also brag about the officer positions they've held, and the "power" they have, etc. Firefighters who get into tiffs with police departments and shut down roads not because it is necessary but because they want to prove to the cops they can, and they're "in charge".

That said, I don't think most of the volunteers are this childish and dishonest. But, it's the ones who are that make the good ones look bad.