ambulance for child

How would you want this handled?

• Total voters

tomtom

my son was recently transported to the hospital by ambulance. I won't give his age on here for privacy, but he is a very young child, but older than an infant. The ambulance was called because he was sick, and had a high fever. I did not find out until the next day. Me and his mom are separated, and I am there for him all the time, but he has a "step-father" also. I want to know the opinions of people on this matter, of not being notified until the next day. By the way, it was fairly late at night when the ambulance was called.

tyky

eieio
If you are still actively involved in the childs life I think you should have at least gotten a phone call :shrug:

Cowgirl

Wouldn't it be the mother's responsibility to call you? I'm just wondering if you are trying to say it's the EMT's fault for not notifying you. :confused:

lovinmaryland

If it was urgent enough for them to call and ambulance than it would be urgent enough for them to contact you IMO.

my son was recently transported to the hospital by ambulance. I won't give his age on here for privacy, but he is a very young child, but older than an infant. The ambulance was called because he was sick, and had a high fever. I did not find out until the next day. Me and his mom are separated, and I am there for him all the time, but he has a "step-father" also. I want to know the opinions of people on this matter, of not being notified until the next day. By the way, it was fairly late at night when the ambulance was called.

IMO, you shouldn't automatically assume she didn't call you in the middle of the night for the spite of it. You should assume she didn't know if she should wake you for something that was under control. Take this opportunity to discuss this with her and let her know you want to be called should it ever happen again. No need for ill feelings.

tomtom

Wouldn't it be the mother's responsibility to call you? I'm just wondering if you are trying to say it's the EMT's fault for not notifying you. :confused:

No, I absolutely am not blaming EMS for anything. I have the highest respect for EMS and Firefighters, in fact, I am a volunteer EMT myself. I am asking the opinion of the child's mothers actions, not EMS at all.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I want to know the opinions of people on this matter, of not being notified until the next day. By the way, it was fairly late at night when the ambulance was called.

Maybe the ex didn't want to wake you up late at night since it wasn't a life-threatening emergency. It sounds like she did do the right thing by calling, just not at the time you would have wanted.

Maybe the ex didn't want to wake you up late at night since it wasn't a life-threatening emergency. It sounds like she did do the right thing by calling, just not at the time you would have wanted.

Exactly. Seems to me all you need to do is let her know you want to be called immediately no matter the time should something like this happen again. It's a judgement call and there are some who would be fine with a phone call in the morning saying all is taken care of.

Cowgirl

IMO, you shouldn't automatically assume she didn't call you in the middle of the night for the spite of it. You should assume she didn't know if she should wake you for something that was under control. Take this opportunity to discuss this with her and let her know you want to be called should it ever happen again. No need for ill feelings.

I was just getting ready to say something like that. We've been in the situation before when kids' mom calls us after everything is ok to tell us girlie was at the hospital. We trust her judgement, and she trusts ours. :shrug:

DQ2B

Honestly, I wouldn't call my spouse until the next day if he was away and this happened (assuming all was under control and it was also during sleeping hours).

camily

Peace
Exactly. Seems to me all you need to do is let her know you want to be called immediately no matter the time should something like this happen again. It's a judgement call and there are some who would be fine with a phone call in the morning saying all is taken care of.

I agree. She was probably just concentrating on the child and the information being given and received. I'd let her know how you feel but not hold it against her. Sometimes your just not thinking when there is a medical emergency, especially with a child. Be glad she called EMS if she felt the situation called for it and that she DID call you in the morning. However, I can understand you wanting to be called immediately.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I think the father should have been called right after 911. He is the child's father and it should be up to him to determine if he wants to be at the hospital with HIS child or not.

lovinmaryland

I think the father should have been called right after 911. He is the child's father and it should be up to him to determine if he wants to be at the hospital with HIS child or not.

I agree! If the situation were reversed and our child was at his house and he had to call 911 I would want a call at the very least once they arrived at the hospital.

What if things were not ok?

GoodnessME

You are MORE than separated. Seeing has how you are "there for him all the time" a late night call should have been made to you....IMHO

tygrace

I agree with the above statement. Definitely let her know your wishes for future situations. Too many people (including myself), assume the other person's intentions were malice, when in reality, it's not malice at all--maybe just miscommunication.

Cowgirl

I agree, and it might be a totally different situation, but early this year girl's fever spiked and I was on the phone with the doctor and had her in the tub. She was crying (screaming) and I was a nervous wreck. There's no way I could have called dad or mom until I got her fever under control and she was resting. Honesly, if I'd had to take her to the hospital, I'm not sure if I would have called from the car or waited until we got to the hospital and gotten everything under control.

Calling 911 is a little different, because you have time until the ambulance gets there, but who knows if she was on the phone with the dispatcher or not. :shrug: Maybe the mom's SO could have called.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I agree, and it might be a totally different situation, but early this year girl's fever spiked and I was on the phone with the doctor and had her in the tub. She was crying (screaming) and I was a nervous wreck. There's no way I could have called dad or mom until I got her fever under control and she was resting. Honesly, if I'd had to take her to the hospital, I'm not sure if I would have called from the car or waited until we got to the hospital and gotten everything under control.

Calling 911 is a little different, because you have time until the ambulance gets there, but who knows if she was on the phone with the dispatcher or not. :shrug: Maybe the mom's SO could have called.

Of course the first priority is the child, but as soon as is possible, the father (or mother) should be notified. Doing so avoids the BS later. I called...you didn't come. Then mom or dad has no room to complain. :yay:

I agree! If the situation were reversed and our child was at his house and he had to call 911 I would want a call at the very least once they arrived at the hospital.

What if things were not ok?

So this is where he tells her that he wants to be called immediately in the future. Again, no need to make a huge issue of it at this point and no need to assume malice. Now if he let's her know his wishes and she choses to ignore them should it happen again, then he has a reason to get bent.

lovinmaryland

So this is where he tells her that he wants to be called immediately in the future. Again, no need to make a huge issue of it at this point and no need to assume malice. Now if he let's her know his wishes and she choses to ignore them should it happen again, then he has a reason to get bent.

I agree it is best to just relax and give her the benefit of the doubt... but personally I would be so damn mad! WTH was going through his/her mind to not thing I should get a phone call regarding my childs condition.

Hoover

I hate my ex-husband with a passion but when it comes to our son - he deserves to be contacted and to be part of what ever it is. Our son was hurt and was taken to Childrens, I called him while waiting for the chopper to arrive so he could meet us when he could at the the hospital. You never know what your child has or what is going to happen and would you forgive yourself if it was the last time they could have seen them???