Ambulance Question

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
Sometimes we do get dispached for a call with a situation or a known problem person at the scene. We have to respond lights & sirens to the area and then kill them and stage until the po po get there and clear it for us. Was the officer doing the same type thing? :shrug: I don't listen to the Chuck County scanner because it is non-stop.

Beats me, maybe. If I saw him taking groceries out of the back, then I'd say no, but I didn't slow down to watch what he was doing. lol.

royhobie

hobieflyer
I was following a Charles County ambulance today. They were doing the speed limit going down the road. When we approached a stop light that was red, the ambulance turned on its light and siren, then proceded through the light.

I figured they just got a call, but after they cleared the intersection, the lights and siren were turned off.

Are there times that an ambulance would be transporting someone, that they only turn the lights on to get past a stop light or did the diver just not feel like waiting for the light to turn green?

No, they just wanted to mess with the red light camera and the person that has to review the camera shot. People do review the red light camera pictures before approving it...............right?

CobbWeb

Link Please

In Maryland, it is the law that sirens & lights at all times during a priority call. Now when I traveled at night, and no cars on the road, we just went with the lights. But if an accident should happen, and the opposing driver can say there were no sirens, the driver of that ambulance could be charged. That's the way it was in Calvert. We all take EVOC Classes, and this was stressed almost all the time.

Link to that law please. I don't think thats what it says.

normalgirl

Along the same lines.... Is it a law that vehicles pull over when an ambulance is approaching from the opposite direction?

nutz

I dont know why you took this as a criticism of the volunteer system.

All of the above mentioned, and more.

from your original post, "and you can run the lights just for decoration."

So, where are you going to look to volunteer time?

nutz

I dont know the ambulance number. It said mobil intensive care unit on the side and I think CCMU. They looked like they were heading for the ambulance station on Billingsley RD, near the 301 intersection.

CCMICU = Charles County Mobile Intensive Care Unit. An all volunteer paramedic unit. CCMICU60

All of these are your neighbors, giving of their time, to help out our community. No paycheck and most of the time not even a "Thank You", but they show up night and day, fair weather and even in the worst of weather.

Yes, after a big checklist of things, there is a retirement system wherein the fund pays something in the order of $225.00 a month after 30 years of full service. Oh, and you can tax deduct mileage and uniforms..........

nutz

No, they just wanted to mess with the red light camera and the person that has to review the camera shot. People do review the red light camera pictures before approving it...............right?

The driver is held accountable for the ticket if not responding to a call.

Roman

Link to that law please. I don't think thats what it says.
I don't have a Link, but I did take the Emergency Vehicle Operations class when I was a Practicing FF/NREMT-P. It was required. I'm sure if you googled it, you can see. I'd be interested too. But that was drilled in to my head, and it stuck. When you are going on an Emergency Call, if you have the lights on, the siren has to be on too. An answer to Normalgirl's question, no...you don't have to pull over, but it is a common curtesy to do so. Just think if it was a loved one in that was in the back.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
CCMICU = Charles County Mobile Intensive Care Unit. An all volunteer paramedic unit. CCMICU60

All of these are your neighbors, giving of their time, to help out our community. No paycheck and most of the time not even a "Thank You", but they show up night and day, fair weather and even in the worst of weather.

Yes, after a big checklist of things, there is a retirement system wherein the fund pays something in the order of $225.00 a month after 30 years of full service. Oh, and you can tax deduct mileage and uniforms..........

:buddies: I knew there were some paid and some volunteer units but I wasnt sure which ones. Its nice to know they are only a few minutes away although I hope I never need them.

nutz

:buddies: I knew there were some paid and some volunteer units but I wasnt sure which ones. Its nice to know they are only a few minutes away although I hope I never need them.

The "paid crew" sends you a bill to the tune of ~ $1100.00...BUT, it's not a big deal because almost everybody has an insurance policy that covers the cost. :whistle:

Oh, BTW, the "paid crews" are sitting in volunteer firehouses and using the volunteers ambulances. So it's gets tougher telling who is who.

Tech

Along the same lines.... Is it a law that vehicles pull over when an ambulance is approaching from the opposite direction?

Though it may not be a law. it is a good reason to pull over for safety. As an EVO operator for 35 years I know there are idiots drivers on both sides. On a divided roadway think about the crossovers, the EV may use them without warning assuming you see them. On a two lane such as Route 4 the danger can come from the EV making a left turn in front of you or trying to pass a vehicle going in the opposite direction and now the EV is in your lane heading straight for you.

officeguy

from your original post, "and you can run the lights just for decoration."

As you (or another EVO) pointed out, if you run the lights without the siren, you have no special privileges that wouldn't be afforded to any other vehicle on the road. The only purpose the lights serve without the siren is that they will give other vehicles that see you a visual warning of an approaching EV and allow them to make room for you as a courtesy. If you run lights only and T-bone someone after you go through a red light, you will probably get prosecuted for it and may end up being responsible for the damage.

In that sense, running 'lights only' is 'just for decoration' as it does nothing to protect you legally. You may have misunderstood the intent of my post.

So, where are you going to look to volunteer time?

At the FD local to my home. Unfortunately, I have a work schedule that never gives me enough weeks in a row to do the necessary courses to get certified as a FF.

Last edited:

Tech

As you (or another EVO) pointed out, if you run the lights without the siren, you have no special privileges that wouldn't be afforded to any other vehicle on the road. The only purpose the lights serve without the siren is that they will give other vehicles that see you a visual warning of an approaching EV and allow them to make room for you as a courtesy. If you run lights only and T-bone someone after you go through a red light, you will probably get prosecuted for it and may end up being responsible for the damage.

In that sense, running 'lights only' is 'just for decoration' as it does nothing to protect you legally. You may have misunderstood the intent of my post.

At the FD local to my home. Unfortunately, I have a work schedule that never gives me enough weeks in a row to do the necessary courses to get certified as a FF.

Even having the siren on with the warning lights may not protect you if you were deem to be operating in a reckless manor.