America should allow other countries to vote in the 2020 election

This_person

Perhaps it helps to imagine America as the pot in which tomorrow’s ideas are brewed, for better or worse. Perhaps it helps, too, to look at the more tangible signs of how US politics contribute to shaping all of our lives. The most convincing example may be global warming, and Donald Trump’s overt skepticism when it comes to climate change. In January this year, the president of the world’s most powerful nation infamously tweeted: “In the beautiful Midwest, windchill temperatures are reaching minus 60 degrees, the coldest ever recorded. In coming days, expected to get even colder. People can’t last outside even for minutes. What the hell is going on with Global Waming [sic]? Please come back fast, we need you!”
It goes without saying that whatever the US does or does not do to limit the effects of global warming impacts every single being, human or otherwise, on this planet.
Then comes the economy: in June last year, we were warned that tensions between the US and its main trading partners could precipitate global trade turmoil similar in scale to the 2008 financial crisis. Whoever gets to sit in the Oval Office, then, plays a major role in shaping the state of our wallets as well as the state of the planet. Is it really that outrageous that people around the world might want to have a say on who runs the show?

:lmao:

And, yet, people don't believe there is an attempt for a One World Order.

NextJen

Raisin cane
Nope. No way, no how!
Only if you sneak into this country and go to a voting booth!
We can't just have you voting in our elections from your home country. What kind of sense would that make?

SamSpade

Yeah, I've heard nitwits from other countries say this - that America affects their lives so much, they should have a say in it.
I usually answer "just as long as we get to APPOINT local leaders in yours".
Preferably a toaster or a chimp.

PARENTS make choices for others. For better or worse, we choose our own.

This_person

Yeah, I've heard nitwits from other countries say this - that America affects their lives so much, they should have a say in it.
I usually answer "just as long as we get to APPOINT local leaders in yours".
Preferably a toaster or a chimp.

PARENTS make choices for others. For better or worse, we choose our own.
It implies we are responsible for their countries' actions and results. If they want to become a part of the United States, I am happy to read their application.

Outside of that, I'm not interested.

This_person

Nope. No way, no how!
Only if you sneak into this country and go to a voting booth!
We can't just have you voting in our elections from your home country. What kind of sense would that make?
Excellent point - I'm sure Democrats would be happy to have MORE non-citizens vote, since they like the current crop of non-citizens voting.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
People in other countries don't understand what it is to be an American. Hell, many Americans don't understand what it is to be an American, but at least they have a nodding familiarity with it and can see it in action. Foreigners look at us with puzzlement because they don't know our history, our system of government confuses them, and they can't relate to our cultural freedoms.

Most Europeans still have that Dark Ages sheeplike mentality, which is why they can't protect themselves when marauders invade their countries. They can't relate to the American spirit of independence. They envy and resent us like the effete intellectual resents the man who can win his girl a teddy bear at the fair, then go bang her in the back of his truck.

I'm reminded of the old ads in comic books where the big guy with the hot girl on his arm kicks sand on the 98-pound weakling. Unfortunately Europe is never going to take that Charles Atlas course; they just sit around snarking and pretending they're better than us, while secretly wanting to be us.

They also resent that we invent pretty much everything.

So no, Euroweenies, you can't vote in our elections. You suck at running your own countries, and we damn sure aren't going to let you have a say in ours.

Hijinx

I don't know what you folks are thinking when you say some other countries believe they should vote in our elections.
Why quote other countries.

We have people right in this country who want illegals to have a vote.
In some places they have that vote now. California for example.
We also know that illegals voted in the last election.
We have democrats that want open borders. Open borders and anyone voting who can show up and cast a vote for a democrat.