American Exceptionalism

SkylarkTempest

Most cases in the least amount of time!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not bad! We're doing pretty good, when you look at number of cases per million population. Thanks for posting the good news for a change, sport.

My second home, Norway, on the other hand, has done "everything right", yet is getting hammered..

SkylarkTempest

Not bad! We're doing pretty good, when you look at number of cases per million population. Thanks for posting the good news for a change, sport.

My second home, Norway, on the other hand, has done "everything right", yet is getting hammered..

When you say the number of cases per million, do you mean the statistic that has more than doubled in the last two days from 2 to 5?
Also, I checked out Norway's numbers. Not only are their cases per million lower than ours, they've already significantly flattened the curved. We've had a mortality rate of about 1.5%, Norway just about 0.5%. If they're getting hammered, doesn't that mean we are, too? Am I missing something here?

Either way, I don't see how you can call this good news.

SkylarkTempest

Norway cases per million - 686
USA cases per million - 303

As is always the case VegaPinto..you are indeed missing something.

I'm sorry, I was looking at the death rate. The death rate in the US went from 2 to 5 per million in the last two days. Norway still has a death rate of only 4 per million. But I don't see how you can call the numbers in the US good news, especially when compared with China, South Korea, and Japan.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
But I don't see how you can call the numbers in the US good news, especially when compared with China, South Korea, and Japan.
I do see how.

But then I'm a statistician, so...

But I don't mean to downplay our US situation. As things currently stand, the second derivative of the infection total curve is still positive. It's not until the FIRST derivative of the infection curve is approaching zero that the curve can be considered "flattened" as all the laymen and clueless media idiots keep talking about. We are a long way from that point...

SkylarkTempest

I do see how.

But then I'm a statistician, so...

But I don't mean to downplay our US situation. As things currently stand, the second derivative of the infection total curve is still positive. It's not until the FIRST derivative of the infection curve is approaching zero that the curve can be considered "flattened" as all the laymen and clueless media idiots keep talking about. We are a long way from that point...

Okay, if you see how our numbers are good news, please share.

22AcaciaAve

Most cases in the least amount of time!

View attachment 146689

While you want to blame Trump exclusively for this perhaps you should consider this....

The United States instead remained preoccupied with business as usual. Impeachment. Harvey Weinstein. Brexit and the Oscars.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/health/usa-coronavirus-cases.html

A lot of people may have dropped the ball, but if there is blood on anyone's hands, it is not exclusive. It is far reaching and on both parties. Perhaps if they were not trying to destroy each other, they might have worked together the way a real government should. The two party system is now a detriment to the American way. The sooner the democratic party and republican party are destroyed, the better.

jrt_ms1995

I'm sorry, I was looking at the death rate. The death rate in the US went from 2 to 5 per million in the last two days. Norway still has a death rate of only 4 per million. But I don't see how you can call the numbers in the US good news, especially when compared with China, South Korea, and Japan.

2/million, 4/million, 5/million; basically identical and basically insignificant.