"Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture"

Makavide

Not too talkative
A review of "Hidden Tribes: A Study of America's Polarized Landscape"

It turns out that while progressive activists tend to think that only hate speech is a problem, and devoted conservatives tend to think that only political correctness is a problem, a clear majority of all Americans holds a more nuanced point of view: They abhor racism. But they don’t think that the way we now practice political correctness represents a promising way to overcome racial injustice.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...orities-dislike-political-correctness/572581/

If you look at what Americans have to say on issues such as immigration, the extent of white privilege, and the prevalence of sexual harassment, the authors argue, seven distinct clusters emerge: progressive activists, traditional liberals, passive liberals, the politically disengaged, moderates, traditional conservatives, and devoted conservatives.

So where do you fall in the relation to the seven clusters?

stgislander

PREMO Member
I skimmed the article and one of the linked articles. Where are the seven clusters actually defined?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Study: 80% of Americans Believe Political Correctness Is a Problem

I've written several articles for Reason about political correctness and the extent to which a backlash against it may have helped Donald Trump win the presidency. Voters who cited political correctness as a top issue were particularly smitten with the tell-it-like-it-is candidate, and being angry about PC-run-amok was a top indicator of whether a person voted Republican in 2016. Tons of people who wrote to me about political correctness said they voted for Trump specifically because they feel the language is moving away from them too quickly—that everyone is always offended all of the time, and the humble Trump voter simply doesn't know what to say in order to survive in our newly woke culture.

It's always tempting to make too much of this, because many of the people who were most upset about political correctness were probably going to vote for the Republican candidate regardless. But More in Common's findings add credence to my sense that downplaying the concerns of the anti-PC supermajority is a bad campaign strategy for any would-be Trump challenger. "Progressive activists" have a lot of cultural cachet, but there just aren't very many of them. As Mounk put it:

The gap between the progressive perception and the reality of public views on this issue could do damage to the institutions that the woke elite collectively run. A publication whose editors think they represent the views of a majority of Americans when they actually speak to a small minority of the country may eventually see its influence wane and its readership decline. And a political candidate who believes she is speaking for half of the population when she is actually voicing the opinions of one-fifth is likely to lose the next election.

In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real, when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Pete

Repete
I hate it and I am American. I am at the point I want to throat punch the next ####er who gets offended over some trivial nugget. I wish I had a time machine I would travel back in tome and ball kick the person who started this whole mess.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I hate it and I am American. I am at the point I want to throat punch the next ####er who gets offended over some trivial nugget. I wish I had a time machine I would travel back in tome and ball kick the person who started this whole mess.

Kinda like the bitch-ass dude and his drunk bitch at the B-52's concert all those years ago? :lol