America's Worst Drivers?

SamSpade

I think it's kind of funny that I have lived in pretty much all of the bottom states on that survey except Rhode Island. I am surprised that Massachusetts didn't make the top of the list - Boston is the WORST place to drive. I've always maintained that DC drivers are bad because they're just STUPID and don't know any better; Boston drivers aren't stupid, they just drive that way 'cause they're azzholes and do it on PURPOSE.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
desertrat said:
And at least 10% of the rest know the rules, but don't care.
Indeed. If a driver's responsibility test was given many more would fail that.

I am not surprised at the rankings; the top-ranked states are, by and large, rural areas where people are not racing around and where people are still courteous. Going to Vermont, for example, is a pleasure just to witness others' kindness.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
SamSpade said:
I am surprised that Massachusetts didn't make the top of the list - Boston is the WORST place to drive. I've always maintained that DC drivers are bad because they're just STUPID and don't know any better; Boston drivers aren't stupid, they just drive that way 'cause they're azzholes and do it on PURPOSE.

:yeahthat: Of all the places I've driven, Boston scared me the most. And yes, they DO drive that way on purpose. :twitch:

willie

SamSpade said:
I think it's kind of funny that I have lived in pretty much all of the bottom states on that survey except Rhode Island. I am surprised that Massachusetts didn't make the top of the list - Boston is the WORST place to drive. I've always maintained that DC drivers are bad because they're just STUPID and don't know any better; Boston drivers aren't stupid, they just drive that way 'cause they're azzholes and do it on PURPOSE.
Bostonians aren't stupid? Look how they vote.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
The state of Maryland is nearly equal to Rhode Island, with a 79.5% pass rate.

Driving around here, I'm not surprised one bit.

When I arrived here in the California/Lexington Park area, years ago, the first thing another driver did to pizz me off was to speed up from behind me, pass me, then make two lane changes while decelerating in front of me, in order to make a right hand turn into San Soucy plaza off RTE 235.

I had to hit the brakes to avoid this tool!

As the weeks went by, I got the same treatment while approaching Rte 4, heading north on Rte 235. Same thing: a guy in my rearview mirror sped up passed me, got in the lane ahead of me, then promptly hit the brakes to slow down prior to making the turn.

Now in each of these instances, they could have simply made the lane change behind me, no problem.

But everyone around here seems to be in a rush to get somewhere - even if it's ahead of you!

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
SamSpade said:

:yeahthat: Boston is where I learned two things about driving: (1) The Law of Tonnage apples*, and (2) The people of Boston refuse to believe that two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

*the one with the heavier vehicle has the right of way, regardless of any other factors

Pete

Repete
SamSpade said:
I agree too. Of all the places Boston (not counting foreign countries) is the worst. Add to it a confusing highway system and shiatty roads and you have the only place I have not felt "comfortable" driving. NEVER make eyecontact, if you do, you lose.

SamSpade

willie said:
Bostonians aren't stupid? Look how they vote.

They voted in a Republican governor! Actually, they've had mostly Republican governors for the last 40-some years.

Having lived there, though, I'd say a big part of the problem is two things - one, the Republican party there is so anemic, the Democrats are running virtually unopposed. Secondly, there's a perception problem. For example, the District is almost completely Democratic, largely because the black population votes against the Republicans - to their detriment, I believe, because it guarantees an office for the Democratic candidate, so he doesn't have to do a damned thing once in office - and for another, it encourages corruption within the party, because all that's needed to get into office is to secure the nomination.

But - when you think of a *LIBERAL* population - does the District come to mind? Hardly. You think, maybe, Berkeley, or San Francisco. Maybe New York, to a large extent. But not merry old New England or Boston. Boston is one of the few major cities in the Northeast that doesn't have a large black population. So it's not race there; but it is working class tradition. And it's things like Kennedy dynasty stuff - they just maintain enough power to keep their party on top indefinitely.

I mean, think about it - Ted has been in office continually since before JFK was shot - but mostly they keep voting in REPUBLICAN governors. It's not an uncommon occurrence - people want someone in local power to be their advocate who gets stuff for them - but they want their executive to be a Republican hard-azz. Hence you have red states with Democratic Senators, and blue states with Republican governors (New York, e.g.).

SamSpade

Railroad said:
:yeahthat: Boston is where I learned two things about driving: (1) The Law of Tonnage apples*, and (2) The people of Boston refuse to believe that two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

*the one with the heavier vehicle has the right of way, regardless of any other factors

I do swear I could write a book about the way they drive:

1. If I don't SEE you - you can't expect me to be giving you the right-of-way, can you? Hence, pedestrians who pretend they can't see cars coming, and drivers who turn their heads away from other motorists (AND PEDESTRIANS) as a signal saying "I ain't stoppin'".

2. What's a signal?

3. Parking spaces are just temporary roadway so I can pass you on the right.

4. Shoulders are temporary passing lanes.

5. Traffic rotaries have no rules. Yes, they do, but just TRY it.

6. I have my regular car - and my POS I drive in winter-time. I don't insure it, BTW.

7. Green turn signals do NOT mean that traffic won't be coming at you when you turn. It does everywhere else, but it's a crap-shoot here.

8. When the light DOES turn green, and you're making a left turn (which btw, is in a lane which is NOT a turn lane; we don't have those), I'm going to make my left turn VERY QUICKLY in front of moving traffic, so they'll be forced to wait until I'm done.

9. Of course, if I'm SECOND in line at that left turn lane - I'm gonna drive in the opposing lane and use the first guy as a "shield" so I can complete my turn.

10. Repeat nine for the next three cars.

11. Yes, we have right turn on red - but we in Massachusetts spent a FORTUNE putting up signs at every intersection in the state disallowing what we allowed by law.

12. If I want to turn left onto the roadway from a side road or parking lot, and one lane isn't clear - I'm gonna block one of them until the other one is. Don't like it? Bite me. Everyone does it.

And so on. Ever see those traffic signals where for some unknown reason, the road designers added an extra through lane - like the one on northbound 235 at Rte 4 - which immediately disappears and merges back in past the light? (My wife - and her family - routinely refer to that lane as the "azzhole lane"). Boston is riddled with such intersections. I think they actually ENCOURAGE dangerous driving.

One more thing - Boston's street names. Most streets in most parts of the country have those familiar "stacked" street name signs - one for the side street, and one for the street you're on. Boston is famous for ONLY LABELLING the side streets. So if you're on Commonwealth Avenue, you better know, because there ain't no sign to tell you that, anywhere.

willie

SamSpade said:
They voted in a Republican governor! Actually, they've had mostly Republican governors for the last 40-some years.

Having lived there, though, I'd say a big part of the problem is two things - one, the Republican party there is so anemic, the Democrats are running virtually unopposed. Secondly, there's a perception problem. For example, the District is almost completely Democratic, largely because the black population votes against the Republicans - to their detriment, I believe, because it guarantees an office for the Democratic candidate, so he doesn't have to do a damned thing once in office - and for another, it encourages corruption within the party, because all that's needed to get into office is to secure the nomination.

But - when you think of a *LIBERAL* population - does the District come to mind? Hardly. You think, maybe, Berkeley, or San Francisco. Maybe New York, to a large extent. But not merry old New England or Boston. Boston is one of the few major cities in the Northeast that doesn't have a large black population. So it's not race there; but it is working class tradition. And it's things like Kennedy dynasty stuff - they just maintain enough power to keep their party on top indefinitely.

I mean, think about it - Ted has been in office continually since before JFK was shot - but mostly they keep voting in REPUBLICAN governors. It's not an uncommon occurrence - people want someone in local power to be their advocate who gets stuff for them - but they want their executive to be a Republican hard-azz. Hence you have red states with Democratic Senators, and blue states with Republican governors (New York, e.g.).
I stand corrected.....they are corrupt and stupid.

dck4shrt

SamSpade said:
6. I have my regular car - and my POS I drive in winter-time. I don't insure it, BTW.

Mass is 47th out 50 states in terms of uninsured motorist caused accidents. 7% of all accidents involve an uninsured motorist. Number 1 is Colorado at 32%. Source is the Insurance Institute of America.

willie

dck4shrt said:
Mass is 47th out 50 states in terms of uninsured motorist caused accidents. 7% of all accidents involve an uninsured motorist. Number 1 is Colorado at 32%. Source is the Insurance Institute of America.
I hope he meant collision insurance not liability.