Ancestry help if you can

GregV814

we're cleaning out stuff in the archival basement from Hell. My in-laws stuff was in envelopes along with birth certificates, mortgage payments from 1950's, etc....

anyway, we came across a picture of a proud soldier wearing a dress uniform. The in-laws parents immigrated thru New York just after WWI from Poland we think.
on the back of the photo was scribed. Can anyone determine what it says or what language it is?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1480[1144].JPG
    IMG_1480[1144].JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 137

UglyBear

Here’s what I could tell for sure: it’s in Polish, I can’t decipher some of the words because it’s written in cursive, but here’s my translation line by line:

Line1: To Beloved ____ (some first name?)
Line2: and to Sister
Line3: for “Remembering” (what’s the word in English? Some object you give so people will remember you by?)
Line4: ???
Line5: (This line is tough, I’m taking my best guess) From Beloved Zosik (???)
Line6: Grodno, on 6 June 1924

I’ll try to look closer and make some more guesses about the name on Line1 and Line4.
If you could provide any more info, like the name of who is in the photo, that might help.

UglyBear

I translated one word of it and it indicated Polish. I love the penmenship!
Can you read the cursive writing? If you can decipher the letters and post here, esp. name on Line1, Line4, Line5, I probably can make better sense of what it says.

here’s a small trick a Serbian friend taught me: Polish is the only Slavic language that uses letter “W” from Latin alphabet. So if the text sounds “Slavic” and has “W”, it’s definitely Polish. Look at the name of the photographer on the left bottom edge: can’t read in entirety, but can see W.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Can you read the cursive writing? If you can decipher the letters and post here, esp. name on Line1, Line4, Line5, I probably can make better sense of what it says.

here’s a small trick a Serbian friend taught me: Polish is the only Slavic language that uses letter “W” from Latin alphabet. So if the text sounds “Slavic” and has “W”, it’s definitely Polish. Look at the name of the photographer on the left bottom edge: can’t read in entirety, but can see W.
I can decipher some of it, not all.

I thought German uses W but is pronounced as V. Waterskiing = Vasserskiing.